Pocket Query Limit

binzi

I just planned a geocaching trip which required me to submit 6 pocket queries. Thus, for the first time I stumbled across the 5 PQ per day limit. I think this limit is ridiculous for someone who is actually paying for that service!

I never really understood why I couldn't just simply download a gpx file containing the results of my query. I really like the preview in google maps option as it nicely shows all caches of my PQ on a map. Can't be that hard to add a download button for those caches...

So in the end I had to "spider" the remaining caches I needed. So I guess I'm asking geocaching.com to get rid of that 5 PQ per day limit, offer a direct download option or improve the pocket query in another way...

Edited by binzi

I just planned a geocaching trip which required me to submit 6 pocket queries. Thus, for the first time I stumbled across the 5 PQ per day limit. I think this limit is ridiculous for someone who is actually paying for that service!

I never really understood why I couldn't just simply download a gpx file containing the results of my query. I really like the preview in google maps option as it nicely shows all caches of my PQ on a map. Can't be that hard to add a download button for those caches...

So in the end I had to use a program like cachewolf to "spider" the remaining caches I needed. Actually this is free and probably stresses the geocaching servers more than a simple pocket query for which I'm actually paying! On top of that "spidering" the page actually gives me all log entries instead of just the last 5 logs.

So I guess I'm asking geocaching.com to get rid of that 5 PQ per day limit, offer a direct download option or improve the pocket query in another way...

P.S.: to spider = to automatically open a number of cache description pages using some kind of script and to the parse the relevant information into a gpx file

No, you could have planned ahead and started doing PQ's a few days before you needed them.

There already is a "Create Pocket Query" button for those maps.... Edited by TrailGators

Thanks for your quick replies!

@Allanon: Of course I could have planned in advance. However, I don't want to pay for a service that forces me to organize myself better :o In addition I just decided to go on that trip today, so there actually was no time to plan ahead...

@TailGators: Where can I find this button? Do you mean the button that creates a Pocket Query or a button that actually lets me directly download the results of the query as a gpx file. I'm looking for the latter. Creating a new Pocket Query with the same limitations wouldn't improve the problem, I guess...

The 5 PQ limit has been in place for years and the topic of increasing that limit has been brought up a number of times. The topic also morphs into increasing the 500 limit per PQ. There are seveal threads open now on both topics.

Even if GS agreed to increase the limits, GS will never agree to "limitless". There would be just too much PQ traffic for the servers to handle. And part of their business is to maintain the database.

BTW - spidering the site probably violates the TOU agreement.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty
Thanks for your quick replies!

@Allanon: Of course I could have planned in advance. However, I don't want to pay for a service that forces me to organize myself better :o In addition I just decided to go on that trip today, so there actually was no time to plan ahead...

@TailGators: Where can I find this button? Do you mean the button that creates a Pocket Query or a button that actually lets me directly download the results of the query as a gpx file. I'm looking for the latter. Creating a new Pocket Query with the same limitations wouldn't improve the problem, I guess...

I was talking about the link that creates a PQ. That is all that there is.

Anyhow, the limit of 2500/day is for one account. You do have the option of getting another (temporary) account to get 2500 more. I wish they would just let people buy more PQs when they need them...

So in the end I had to use a program like cachewolf to "spider" the remaining caches I needed. Actually this is free and probably stresses the geocaching servers more than a simple pocket query for which I'm actually paying! On top of that "spidering" the page actually gives me all log entries instead of just the last 5 logs.

So I guess I'm asking geocaching.com to get rid of that 5 PQ per day limit, offer a direct download option or improve the pocket query in another way...

P.S.: to spider = to automatically open a number of cache description pages using some kind of script and to the parse the relevant information into a gpx file

You should be aware that spidering is a direct violation of the site's TOU that you agreed to. You might not want to go around admitting that in a public forum.

Also, the direct downloading of the Pocket Query data is (from what I remember reading) on the list of improvements that Groundspeak is working on. Of course, there will likely still be limits.

I just planned a geocaching trip which required me to submit 6 pocket queries. Thus, for the first time I stumbled across the 5 PQ per day limit. I think this limit is ridiculous for someone who is actually paying for that service! ...

I'm confused. How did the PQ limits that you agreed to force you to violate the terms of service? How is TPTB somehow responsible for your failure to plan?

BTW, even if TPTB do implement direct download of PQs, you will still be held to five per day. It's best just to plan to plan.

Edited by sbell111

Actually, a spider scrape would be less taxing on the server than an MSQL query most likely since the spider would only need to view the cache page text.

Also would probably be less taxing on the server than a human viewing the page since there is no need for images or JS for a spider.

You've already been advised that you have admitted actions that violate the TOU. But here is a link to it in case you need a refresher of what you agreed to. GEOCACHING.COM SITE TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT

5. Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (:o interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

I imagine you booked your room, planned your route and probably even packed some lugagge in the days before your vacation. In the same manner you could plan a day or two or three to get the data you need for Geocaching. 2500 caches per day across 5 qureies seems overly generous to me. Way more than you could find in a month.

PQs take a lot of computer and proscessing power. There needs to exist some limits or many members would abuse the "need" for data.

Even worse would be the type of abuse you threw at the system when you violated the TOU. A little respect goes a long way.

First of all sorry for the mess and for warming up an old topic. I guess I was just frustrated of not being able to get all the cache descriptions I wanted...

The trip was on very short notice and very spontaneous. I did a caches along the route query and intended to do five queries for the major stops (with about 50 or so caches each). One thing I love about PQs is that you do not need to decide which caches to do beforehand. Unfortunately the last PQ didn't work and this would have been the one for the destination of my trip...

Don't get me wrong I really do understand the need for limits on queries to the database. Actually I perfectly understand and agree with the 500 cache limit on each query. However I really don't agree with a limit of 5 queries a day. The reason is that I usually only do a couple of PQs every month, I'd say less than 10 a month on average and for sure far less than 150 queries a month. So I would pretty much be in favor of something like a 150 or 100 PQs per month limit and maybe an x minute between two queries limit. This would give me much more flexibility.

Edited by binzi

I do understand what you are saying. I use less than 5% of my total allowable allotment of PQ's. It would be nice if GC.com supported "rollover" PQ's. And it would be great if a lower percentage use of your allotment always gave you a higher priority in the PQ queue. And if GC.com had any real competition they might be compelled to decide how MUCH customized service is in their best interest to offer their paying customers. But, in the absence of any real competition, they can unilaterally decide how LITTLE is in their best interest to offer. And we all agreed to the TOU. We don't have to like it, but we do have to abide by it. You have let them know how you feel about it. You are not the first. You will not be the last. Nothing will change. But it is certainly in your best interest to stop advertising when you violate the TOU.

I'm thinking "rollover minutes". Hmm - there's a unique business model.....

Yes, a market where real competition drives business decisions. But I should probably be careful what I ask for. Some of the features GC customers ask for are totally off the chart, IMHO. In those instances I'm glad Jeremy can just say no without much fear of repercussion. It seems I'm torn between:

“Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't” .... and

“When a man ignores a promise again and again, he means to fail you”