Caching gets a mention on TV

I wondered that too...

However... I have just had a log from a brand new cacher.... so maybe the influx has started!!!!!!

maybe you should ask Sandvika that I mean anyone finding terracaching is going to have to be sponsored, you can see next to nothing on the terracaching site without being registed - the whole thing is just offputting!

Edited by Munkeh

Just watched it. It was a bit misleading, I thought: a huge ammo box and two umpty lock boxes were the examples used. Plus a long walk in the countryside. No nanos, bus stops, drive bys, dog pooh bins or stupid puzzles that only the owner thinks are clever. :D

No mention of "high tech hide and seek"?

Or that kids love the treasure hunt aspect and the trinkets in the caches?

No clarifying that the GPS only takes you so far and then you have to search (we did see an aspect of that, but it didn't seem to be stressed enough to answer people wrongly wondering "What's the point if the GPS takes you right to it?").

Apart from that, not bad at all :laughing:

The piece on metal "detectoring" ( ! ) at 00:23:35 may interest many here too. All in all, a good episode of Countryfile for tech fans.

Edited by Iwuzere

I thought the cache where the presenter had to find a local lady expert sat on a bench on the side of a hill was an interesting new angle to caching. Does she sit there 24/7 waiting for the odd cacher to wander by to ask her these questions?

Has this idea inspired anyone into setting up their own cache like this with the idea of putting their other half into the role of 24/7 "cache field oracle" ;- )

I thought the cache where the presenter had to find a local lady expert sat on a bench on the side of a hill was an interesting new angle to caching. Does she sit there 24/7 waiting for the odd cacher to wander by to ask her these questions?

Has this idea inspired anyone into setting up their own cache like this with the idea of putting their other half into the role of 24/7 "cache field oracle" ;- )

I see from the GAGB Forum that the link to Terracaching was an error and was supposed to be to the GAGB. When the purpose of the piece was to introduce folks to geocaching I don't think TC.com would inspire them in any positive way. If the "politics" are to be kept out of it then having the link to GAGB with links and info for all the listing sites is IMO a much better idea.

Well done again :laughing:

Looks like the bit on Countryfile worked.. Here's a log entry from one of my caches, Jeckyll and Hydon (GC1MTCQ)...

"We heard about Geocaching on BBc's Country File this morning and found this one near to us, it was great fun and cant wait till next weekend."

Well I saw the article too - and went straight out for my first caching experience! Failed to find it mind you - but certainly ready to try again!!

Sorry you had a DNF on one of our caches. :) If you want to get in touch, we'll try to help you get started.

Thanks LL - not ready to give up yet and your message was very helpful!