COINTEST: How did you choose your 'dipping' coin?

Li-Z

Here goes my first Cointest!

On this forum I read that a lot of cachers use a 'dipping coin' or pocket coin to keep track of all completed caches and travelled distances.

I like the idea of a dipping coin, but I just can't decide which one to choose!!

So my question to all the cachers that use a dipping coin is:

- Which coin do you use and why did you pick this coin?

- Post a picture of your dipping coin.

I hope to get some inspiration to decide which coin I'm going to use :o

I'll use a random number generator to pick the winner on monday 9 march. The winner will receive an antique gold 'Greatest Cache' geocoin:

f6ce322e-787b-4b53-88f6-64dc6e647cf8.jpg

My dear Liz!

Thank you for the cointest! :o

I actually do not have a dipping coin, but something similar!

I am participating the the Tadies Wild ride geocoin race for bike awareness! some o us, activated a pocket coin and we will have it with us while we are on geocaching, but not to dip in caches! Other cachers can discover it or we can take it to events and others can discover the coin!

Of course, this is the same thing with the dipping coins, but just because of the rules of the race, we are not allowed to dip these coins in caches, so they can count the discoveries easier! :)

I used the Look twice for bikes geocoin, motorcycle version!

43a7442e-413a-4b0c-bcbd-cabb1009dd7.jpg

Now... why I used this coin! Well... first, it was a gift from my good friend Marit (Sivota), for the race! It has to do with the race (made for this reason!), but it is quite cool and handy coin!

A very good reason to pick this coin was that I wanted a coin that is not too big, where I can attach it to my key chain, or just put it in my pocket! this coin has a hole and a chain and this is quite good!

Except that, its size is perfect! Not too big, not too small.... Well... I hope you get an idea...

Can you imagine to have a big shaped coin in your pocket or attached somewhere?

I believe that a good pocket coin is a coin is a middle size, round or if you prefer shaped, avoid the nes with a lot of corners...

And why not, pick a coin that you like having it with you all the time! Pick a coin that actually shows who and what you are... your self!

sorry , I do not know how to say it in English...

Do not forget that this coin is going to be your caching partner! :laughing:

The coin you give as price can be a beautiful pocket coin! It is bigger than the one I have, but it is a beauty! :laughing:

It is nice to have a pocket coin! you can see your miles too, and... the coin will not get stollen!

My dear Liz!

I am participating the the Tadies Wild ride geocoin race for bike awareness! some o us, activated a pocket coin and we will have it with us while we are on geocaching, but not to dip in caches! Other cachers can discover it or we can take it to events and others can discover the coin!

Of course, this is the same thing with the dipping coins, but just because of the rules of the race, we are not allowed to dip these coins in caches, so they can count the discoveries easier! :)

Now... why I used this coin! Well... first, it was a gift from my good friend Marit (Sivota), for the race! It has to do with the race (made for this reason!), but it is quite cool and handy coin!

A very good reason to pick this coin was that I wanted a coin that is not too big, where I can attach it to my key chain, or just put it in my pocket! this coin has a hole and a chain and this is quite good!

Except that, its size is perfect! Not too big, not too small.... Well... I hope you get an idea...

I believe that a good pocket coin is a coin is a middle size, round or if you prefer shaped, avoid the nes with a lot of corners...

And why not, pick a coin that you like having it with you all the time! Pick a coin that actually shows who and what you are... your self!

The coin you give as price can be a beautiful pocket coin! It is bigger than the one I have, but it is a beauty! :laughing:

It is nice to have a pocket coin! you can see your miles too, and... the coin will not get stollen!

Thanks for the tips Gatoulis!

Of course the coin has to be one I really like and making sure that I can put a keychai on it and that it is not to heavy is a good idea :laughing: I love the Birka coins, but those might be to heavy to take with me all the time.

I read about the Bike Awareness coins. What a good initiative! But I didn't read how the race works yet. I'm curious now, so I'll have a look in that thread :laughing:

When we first started caching we did not know much about Geocoins we soon learned.

After more caches we started seeing these DIPPED Items... :)

So we looked into it further, and we had to have our own.

Dad said I needed something that was representative of me so we looked and looked :o

Nothing, still Nothing then one day there it was... It was Irish I am Irish...

Not to mention what Girl does not need some LOVE FAITH HOPE & LUCK in her life :laughing:

e86258da-31ac-4008-9199-3b46f18d9e23.jpg

Since then I found a coin more representative, but this one has been with me now we are BFFL

Edited by Queenie-Boo-Bay

My dear Liz!

Thanks for the tips Gatoulis!

Of course the coin has to be one I really like and making sure that I can put a keychai on it and that it is not to heavy is a good idea :laughing: I love the Birka coins, but those might be to heavy to take with me all the time.

I read about the Bike Awareness coins. What a good initiative! But I didn't read how the race works yet. I'm curious now, so I'll have a look in that thread :laughing:

There are normal coin travellers in the race, and pocket coins! To have a pocket coin you must have at least one traveller in the race! The only thing to do is to have as title of the coin the "Todies wild ride: "..and what ever you want after it!

And post the page number of the coin in the thread so rod can watch it!

Well you can read in the thread! It would be nice to see you there! :laughing:

I do not know the birka coin! Is it as big as the Tranquility coin?

Great timing since I just started "dipping" today. I bought myself an Ireleand 2007 coin as a present for reaching 100 finds. So today starting with find 101 i started dipping. I chose this coin for a few reasons.

1. Its my favorite coin that I own

2. Its more than just a geocaching item to me, since my family is from Ireland.

3. I know it is a coin that I will never sell or trade for any reason even if I quit geocaching.

A picture of the coin can be found on the link to its page TB1N59R

That being said, I dipped it in 9 caches today but the coin isnt logging any mileage... Does anyone know what Im doing wrong???

I carry an All Nations Pathfinders coin as my dipping coin. It was a surprise gift from someone who found out I was looking for horse related coins. Because it was such an unexpected surprise it has a lot of meaning and has been dipped into every cache I've gone to since I got it.

And like Gatoulis, I also carry a pocket coin in the TWR race. No discoveries on it yet but I'm hosting a small get together tomorrow so it'll get some then!

Edit: Oops, forgot the picture!

PICT0023.JPGPICT0024.JPG

Edited by sunsetmeadowlark

I put a Travel Bug dog tag on my keys and started dipping before I had any Geocoins. It would have been nice to have started with a coin, to give people a cool icon with a discovery, but this TB and I have covered a lot of ground so we'll keep stickin' together.

Steve's Keys (TB14TZY) have 72758.2 miles on them as of this logging.

I like to post spoiler notes on my Key's logs. I don't know if anyone has ever found a cache because of that though.

(I need to update the photo on the cache page. All the black has worn off the tag, and only the engraved TB number remains!)

My wife, Spooky 2, uses a 2008 Tadpole Geocoin Koopi-Chu (TB24DJ2) to log most of the caches she visits with me. It is drilled and attached to her keychain.

Great timing since I just started "dipping" today. I bought myself an Ireleand 2007 coin as a present for reaching 100 finds. So today starting with find 101 i started dipping. I chose this coin for a few reasons.

1. Its my favorite coin that I own

2. Its more than just a geocaching item to me, since my family is from Ireland.

3. I know it is a coin that I will never sell or trade for any reason even if I quit geocaching.

A picture of the coin can be found on the link to its page TB1N59R

That being said, I dipped it in 9 caches today but the coin isnt logging any mileage... Does anyone know what Im doing wrong???

Be patient. It looks like you are logging them properly. The mileage counter rarely updates immediately. I think the longest I've had to wait for it to "catch up" is a day or two.

[

There are normal coin travellers in the race, and pocket coins! To have a pocket coin you must have at least one traveller in the race! The only thing to do is to have as title of the coin the "Todies wild ride: "..and what ever you want after it!

Well you can read in the thread! It would be nice to see you there! :o

I didn't know it was stil possible to join the Todies wild ride race! I'll will pick a coin to start travelling soon :-)

I'm not sure what the size of the tranquility coin is, but the Birka is 2 inch, so pretty big and heavy. Here's a picture of one: http://img.geocaching.com/track/cbc26b78-5...6af13739a6e.jpg

I loved the idea of "dipping" but I have yet to start... I'm like you, I could never choose which coin I should do this with... until now! I recently put in my first order at oakcoins.com for my first minted geocoin! I'm planning on using one of those coins as my "dipping" coin seeing that I'll probably have several of those left :-) I would post a picture of it, but I don't want to give away the look of the coin yet...

Ah a cointest from my niece :o

No deed to joi in the cointest, but would like to tell about our coin.

Our dipping coin is the geocacher license.

We engraved our teamname in it and we did not want to let it travel.

Sometimes I use it as a joke for people I've told about geocaching: I will ask them for their permit to cache :)

For a picture take a look at the millie geocacher licens coin page

[

Well you can read in the thread! It would be nice to see you there! :o

I didn't know it was stil possible to join the Todies wild ride race! I'll will pick a coin to start travelling soon :-)

I'm not sure what the size of the tranquility coin is, but the Birka is 2 inch, so pretty big and heavy. Here's a picture of one: http://img.geocaching.com/track/cbc26b78-5...6af13739a6e.jpg

Oh!!!! Birka is very beautiful!!!!! WOW!!!!

tranquility coin is 2'' and its thickness is 3.5 mm, so it is probably the same! Big coin but extremelly pretty!!! hmm... I think it is nice for a pocket...and a collection!! :)

I loved the idea of "dipping" but I have yet to start... I'm like you, I could never choose which coin I should do this with... until now! I recently put in my first order at oakcoins.com for my first minted geocoin! I'm planning on using one of those coins as my "dipping" coin seeing that I'll probably have several of those left :-) I would post a picture of it, but I don't want to give away the look of the coin yet...

Yes, if you've just made your first geocoin, that shoud make the choosing a bit easier :o I hope you get it soon, and we would love to see some pictures of how your coin turned out!

Thanks everyone for sharing your pocket coins. I really like to see all the coin pictures and read the explanations of why you chose your coin :)

I use a Real Adventurer coin simply because caching is a bit of an adventure! (And because I love Indiana Jones!) :o

23301adf-bc2d-4d5e-9f22-a2108611e343.jpg

Your avatar would make a great coin as well! I was curious and just looked up the name to find out what it is. Now I've got another movie on my watchlist ;-) I love folklore stories and did'nt here about these Japanese tree spirits yet.

I just got one, actually it is still in the mail. I was gifted a Project APE coin from Tooey. It will be travelling to the only APE cache left in the USA later this year from Canada. It will be becoming my "dipping" coin. I can't post a pic of it because it has not arrived yet but I will when it gets here.

my dipping coin will be a version of my geo-portal, when they are finished. I choose this because it is my first design. Ive waited a long time to get a dipping coin and wanted it to be one I was proud of and represented me. so why not it be one I designed. I have 160 finds,, so my work is cut out for me to catch up after it comes, I have the first samples but they are not trackable. so I will wait till they are finished,, but couldent have a better coin as it represents our life intertwined with caching,and then well just portal to the next one!:o

b8a8b78b-ed9a-4015-946d-11d08cc37394.jpg

6b74c62f-6fec-468b-a5d5-5945670b59c8.jpg

I don't have a Coin that I dip in every Cache but I have two things that get Dipped at Events I attend. one is the TB tag attached to my Camera, and I use it's page to geep track of where I travel in the Big Truck. Maybe one day I'll go back to the day I started driving, and update a location for every day. The other is a Pocket Coin in Todie's Wild Ride. I have used the same Coin as GATOULIS(Look Twice Geocoin) for the same reasons...It's a perfect size for a key ring, It's Bike Safety message, and also because I am the one who had them made(sort of my first Personal Coin). I have it on my key ring all the time, even when I'm not GeoCaching. These Coins are modeled on the "Nomad" Coins by Chris Rake which are a series of flags from different places(including the Netherlands).

Not to stray far from the topic...There's a Thread in the "Geocaching.com Website" section about getting a way created to automatically do the dipping, instead of going through all the steps. If anyone thinks that sounds interesting, feel free stop in there and add your opinion.

Here's one of the Coins I dropped recently at a Cache.,,

c0cbb577-d2dc-47bb-be94-41271cf03802.jpg

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

This is my dipping coin.

:)

c8352f26-0344-484d-9997-60ca634621f9.jpg

I get this geocoin from my parents and i would not dare to send this coin in the world.

This coin is beautiful artwork, so to give this coin a "job"

He may travel along with us.

All cache we have done has this coin logged except Earthcaches

earthcaches can you not log. :o [dipping]

thanks for the cointest :laughing:

Hi Li-Z

My personal coin was created for an event cache here in PA.

PersonalCoin.jpg

I chose to use it mainly because it features Bloomsburg, PA on it, "The Only Town in Pennsylvania". I have a lot of personal history with Bloomsburg, and everything pictured on the coin has tons of meaning for me. :D Plus its a really pretty coin, designed by a cacher that I know personally.

Its actually the only coin I own, and I don't "dip" it into every single cache I visit. I use it to commemorate caches that were special to me for one reason or another (good camo, nice scenery, great hike, etc). I also dip it when I go on caching runs out of the immediate area to track mileage. :D

For my dipping Coin it was rather an easy choice for me, here is my coin:

ff924199-7817-4d0f-8be0-a048cfb0ee8b.jpg

After college my first job was with an English Company, and I actually went to England and lived there twice once for 8 months and the other tme for 6 months while doing product development.

Beind an avid cyclist and not many HD's to be found I started riding a friend's Ducati and Triumph both great scooters, well we ended up heading to the Isle of Man TT Race what a Race any Race FAN should make the journey.

A few years later when I was e-mailing that friend about this new game the family and I were starting to play that I thought he would enjoy.....

Well the coin arrrived in the mail and it has been my personal dipper ever since....

To me it represents FRIENDSHIP the Celtic Knot is neverending just like FRIENDSHIPS.....

Kinda cool I am IRSIH as wel.... :D

my dipping coin will be a version of my geo-portal, when they are finished. I choose this because it is my first design. Ive waited a long time to get a dipping coin and wanted it to be one I was proud of and represented me. so why not it be one I designed. I have 160 finds,, so my work is cut out for me to catch up after it comes, I have the first samples but they are not trackable. so I will wait till they are finished,, but couldent have a better coin as it represents our life intertwined with caching,and then well just portal to the next one!:D

b8a8b78b-ed9a-4015-946d-11d08cc37394.jpg

6b74c62f-6fec-468b-a5d5-5945670b59c8.jpg

DJ J.Rock,

I love the coin design and I love the fact that you put so much of you and your family into the design.

I watched the thread when you spoke about mintng this one and I hope that when it does go on sale I am back to buying coins kids come first...CACHING is a great release and well it is still reasonably free.....

P.S. The picture with your Daughter in the red wagon thats a keeper.

Edited by The Finding Irish 4

Beutifuls coins everyone! :laughing:

A way to have a pocket coin automatically logged in caches you visit would be great Write Shop Robert. Altough I'm not sure if that would be easy to realise/program. I hope so and will look into the thread!

Have my choices for my pocket coin narrowed down two only a few possbilities left now :-)

When I discovered about the dipping of coins I originally was going to use a Michigan state coin because I live in Michigan. After 70 some caches I got my first FTF and the prize was a 2005 USA coin. I only had to think about it for a few minutes. What better coin to use when I hoped to cache around the entire country? Also it had some meaning to me as my first FTF so it has become my dipping coin. I never went back to log it in and out of the first caches I've done though but since then we have traveled a lot of miles!

I use a all in one geocoin 2008 as dipping coin.

I started in 2008 with geocaching. This was the first coin i bought. It's a very special coin for me

This coin has 4 elements. walking,thinking, exciting and relaxing. It's for me the 4 elements of geocaching.

See my coin:

005khw.jpg

Oh! I have this coin too! It is not activated, and it is in my collection! :laughing:

It was a surprice gift from a friend, who actually ordered coins with his name, and some with my name!!!

I have no idea how many have my name "GATOULIS" on it! :D I only have one! Is there a possibility that it is th only one???? I do not know... But it is so cool!!!!! :D

I use a Real Adventurer coin simply because caching is a bit of an adventure! (And because I love Indiana Jones!) :laughing:
Your avatar would make a great coin as well! I was curious and just looked up the name to find out what it is. Now I've got another movie on my watchlist ;-) I love folklore stories and did'nt here about these Japanese tree spirits yet.
Hmm, that sounds like a good idea...like a shaped coin or something? But since I know nothing of coin making or if I could even use an image from a movie on a coin I'll just leave that idea for someone else! And as for Princess Mononoke, it's an excellent movie. I found it a bit strange at first but it quickly grew on me.

I use a all in one geocoin 2008 as dipping coin.

I started in 2008 with geocaching. This was the first coin i bought. It's a very special coin for me

This coin has 4 elements. walking,thinking, exciting and relaxing. It's for me the 4 elements of geocaching.

See my coin:

Oh! I have this coin too! It is not activated, and it is in my collection! <_<

It was a surprice gift from a friend, who actually ordered coins with his name, and some with my name!!!

I have no idea how many have my name "GATOULIS" on it! :lol: I only have one! Is there a possibility that it is th only one???? I do not know... But it is so cool!!!!! B)

Yes my coin is also engraved with my team name. You can order this coin with or without engraving. So i think there is 1 coin with Gatoulis!

Well I hope i"m not to late for the cointest, but I like showing my dipping coin off as well :)

It is my personal handmade coin from a while back. Use it to dip and have discovered at events...

CPR02.jpg

CPR03.jpg

CPR04.jpg

Not too late, it's not monday afternoon yet!

Another great pocket coin! I got your 2007 lead coin in the math trade :lol: Although I like it a lot that one is a bit heavy to take with me all the time :(

Well I hope i"m not to late for the cointest, but I like showing my dipping coin off as well :)

It is my personal handmade coin from a while back. Use it to dip and have discovered at events...

CPR02.jpg

Not too late, it's not monday afternoon yet!

Another great pocket coin! I got your 2007 lead coin in the math trade :lol: Although I like it a lot that one is a bit heavy to take with me all the time :(

Another great pocket coin! I got your 2007 lead coin in the math trade :) Although I like it a lot that one is a bit heavy to take with me all the time :(

Wow, good for you! Those are hard to come by nowdays, I myself only have a couple of those light-as-a-feather hunks of lead... (:

geocolocoin.jpg

This was my first GeoCoin, and a lovely Colorado state coin. It's the official Geocaching Colorado 2007 coin sold at events. I bought it shortly after I started caching which was a week after my 1 year anniversary here in Colorado (moved from Arizona). While hard to see in this picture, it's got a beautiful depiction of the Rockies and weighty and durable. Just having a hard time getting it to track mileage accurately.

Importance to me?

1) First coin.

2) State representation.

3) It's shiny!

Another great pocket coin! I got your 2007 lead coin in the math trade :) Although I like it a lot that one is a bit heavy to take with me all the time :(

Wow, good for you! Those are hard to come by nowdays, I myself only have a couple of those light-as-a-feather hunks of lead... (:

Yes, I was really surprised when I saw the Math trade results and the Scavok 2007 coin on my receive list!

I use a Real Adventurer coin simply because caching is a bit of an adventure! (And because I love Indiana Jones!) :(
Hmm, that sounds like a good idea...like a shaped coin or something? But since I know nothing of coin making or if I could even use an image from a movie on a coin I'll just leave that idea for someone else! And as for Princess Mononoke, it's an excellent movie. I found it a bit strange at first but it quickly grew on me.

The movie sound interesting :-) I found a lot of greast looking images of the tree spirits, but you're right, you probably can't just use them for a coin... Maybe someone can design a coin with their own version of the tree spirits! I've got a lot of ideas for coins, but I think it will take a while longer before I really start with making one of my own :)

I just used a random number generator ( aslo for the firts time ;-) and there is a winner:

Post number 29 of the Finding Irish 4!

If you mail me your adress I'll get the Greatest Cache coin in the mail to you :D

Thanks everyone for posting your pocket coin pictures and stories! I've chosen my pocket coin now, but it was not an easy choice :D

Here are some of the coins I chose from:

4752981e-272d-4e42-9cdb-c82627b755d0.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Tatanka Pejulas. I love the design and the meaning behind it. But not trackable so I can't use this one...

I also like the Russian Dolls very much. I bought them to send them travelling, but am a bit afraid to let them go ;-) Hmmm....three coins as a pocket coin, maybe not that handy.

The Gingerbread man is really cute, and it was the first coin I saw while caching, so kind of special. But not my pocket coin.

The Honu Turtle is like a little jewel, and it would be easy to attach to something... But I think my pocket coin must be a 'traditional' round coin.

The Scavok 2007 is great and I like the fact that it is handmade. But this one is really to heavy!

The purple and silver 4 musketeers would be great to always have some good caching advice with me while caching and purple is my favourite color ...but still not really 'me'

The bewitched coin is one of my favourites as well. But maybe a little fragile to be a dipping coin..

I also liked the idea of the Dragonfly Talisman coin to be my pocket coin. It's so pretty ad it would be great to have a talisman with me while caching. But still doesn't feel like the right dipping coin for me.

The Tengwar coins have been my favourite coins since I first saw them... I love reading fantasy including the Tolkien stories and the design of these coins is amazing. But, gold is not my color. Silver is my favourite. And I don't really feel like I'm wandering enough ;-)

So, only two coins left in the end:

fd0edb9f-72d3-484f-895d-33636ffbe59f.jpg

Still a little bit in doubt, but I've finally chosen one :)

I think the Birka coins look absolutely great! A big and heavy 2 inch coin, feels great, lots of detail and I love black & white (a large part of my house is all black & white). Also like the story behind them.

But the Journey coin fits me just a little bit better! Of course I also love the design of the journey coin. And it's silver so the right color for me. But most important is the message on it: 'sometimes the journey is the destination'.

I love travelling! In my own country, in Europe or far away. Discovering new places, meeting new people, learning about other cultures.... I totally agree that sometimes the journey is the destination.

And not only while 'physically travelling' but also in life. This coin is good to remind me that results or reaching the destination are not always the most important. And that you must enjoy the moments of the present and learn from those moments!

Geocaching is just one example of a situation when I sometimes tend to forget that :( (being disapointed or complaining about not finding a cache even when I had a wonderful hike searching for it :D )

So, now I can start the job of dipping my pocket coin in all the caches I've done till now. Lucky for me that I've only done 74!! And I'll just buy a silver coin ring for it to be able to attach it to the inside of my caching bag :-)