Mapsource/Oregon Routing (City Nav Europe) Problem

StanByk

Hi everyone,

Please have a look at the following pictures and let me know what you think about the routing. This particular example shows the routing as calculated by Mapsource using standard settings, but results on the Oregon are similar. I calculated this route for pedestrians, bicycle and car. I am using City Navigator 2009 Europe maps.

I was trying to walk this route and had set my Oregon to Pedestrian routing. The route calculated by the Oregon and Mapsource doesn't make any sense at all. Please note all roads are minor roads in residential areas. Even the car route is better than the pedestrian route!!! The best route for walking was the bicycle route.

This example is from a recent trip to Austria, but I have encountered this problem in England several times as well.

Pedestrian Routing:

PedestrianRouting.jpg

Bicycle Routing:

BicylceRouting.jpg

Car Routing:

CarRouting.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Robert

Certainly looks like an issue with the map data but I guess I've never really understood what pedestrian and bike routes do vs auto routing. I was assuming that pedestrian routing would use shortest distance and would allow you to walk up one-way streets, but maybe there is something else that is involved.

You can always go to Navteq or Garmin to report an issue to see what they have to say.

You might be right. I am away from my computer at the moment but will try and change them later today when I am back. If that doesn't work I will try to reinstall CN and if that doesn't help either I will contact Garmin and see what they say.

It could be the OPTIONs on the Mapsource on your PC.

My iQue does the same route as my PC. [set up on the unit]

:D

Hi strumble,

I played around with the settings, but I still get the same bizarre Pedestrian routing.

By the way, I think we are using different maps. I have the NT version and what I can gather from your picture you are using the non NT version. Yesterday evening I met up with a friend who has the City Navigator (Non NT) 2009 Europe map. On his computer I get the same routes that you get and the pedestrian routing makes perfect sense.

I always thought that the only difference between NT and non NT is that NT maps are compressed?

I am confused :o

Thanks!

It could be the OPTIONs on the Mapsource on your PC.

My iQue does the same route as my PC. [set up on the unit]

I too have had problems [now sorted] with v2009.

I had the the most appalling auto-navigation routes on the PC and Oregon with v2009.

I forgot to redesign my routes for the UK and Europe and loaded the old from v2008.

They will rarely work, you have to start again.

Another bug is that your routing options will create problems - removed all my avoids [on PC and unit] and now things are OK :D:D

Wasted hours!

Watch if you have vias in routes [say on a slip road] the roads have changed position on the new v2009.

Hi strumble,

No success so far.

I uninstalled CN Europe NT 2009 from my computer and installed the old CN Europe NT v9 maps instead, which I still had lying around somewhere.

With NT v9 the routing works fine and I get the same routes that you get. So I guess it is a problem with CN Europe NT 2009.

I haven't got round to contact garmin yet, as I am quite busy, but I am also considering to just get the CN Europe 2009 non-NT maps.

Unfortunately I have misplaced my CN Europe NT 2008 CD, so I could not test if 2008 works or not (must tidy up tonight :) ).

StanByk

Have you resolved your problem?

I don't have any avoids or vias set, so I don't think this is the problem. If I get round to this week I will try and install CN2009NT on another computer, e.g. do a completely fresh install, this should at least tell me if it is the actual maps or if something is broken on my computer. I don't know if it is feasible that some remnants of an older installation conflict with CN2009NT such as old settings in the registry?

By the way, is there a reason, why you use Non-NT 2009 rather than NT 2009?

I don't have any avoids or vias set, so I don't think this is the problem. If I get round to this week I will try and install CN2009NT on another computer, e.g. do a completely fresh install, this should at least tell me if it is the actual maps or if something is broken on my computer. I don't know if it is feasible that some remnants of an older installation conflict with CN2009NT such as old settings in the registry?

By the way, is there a reason, why you use Non-NT 2009 rather than NT 2009?

I use the Non-NT because:-

1-there have always been complaints on its use in the UK on certain units

2-I have three units [2 x iQue3600 and the Oregon] and the iQues cannot use the NT but most Garmin can use Non-NT.

3-The Map tiles are sometimes very big on the NT

As a result I can use the same mapping on all three units.

Hi strumble,

I just installed CN Europe 2009 NT in a virtual machine, which never had any Garmin product installed in it before and I get the same problem! So it is the actual CN Europe 2009 NT maps!

Can you recommend a place to buy the CN Europe 2009 Non-NT DVD from?