How do I find trackables near me

appman

Hello there,

I am a brand new cacher, and would like to ask how I can find trackable items such as bugs or coins that are near me? When I search for caches some show icons of trackable bugs next to them, yet when I click on them no information seems to be listed.

TFTCs

Appman

The cache page shows what was last dropped in the cache and thus what *should* be there. If you visit the cache you should find the item, with an engraved tracking number on it. You should never put the tracking on your find logs, as that is your proof that you have the trackable item. You can either retreive the item and move it to another cache or discover it and leave it in place. Once you have the trackable item in you hands, go the the geocaching main page and from the left column select "trackable item" that will bring up the page where you log your discoveries or retreivals. If you retreive then the item will show up in your inventory the next time you find a cache.

Trackables should be listed in the Inventory part of the cache page.

If you become a Premium Member you can run a PQ (Pocket Query) to search for caches with trackables in.

That's no guarantee that someone may have visited the cache before you get there, and removed the TB/Geocoin!

Also one of the the reasons why tracking numbers should not be put on the cache or TB page.

There are those that will claim to find the trackable and 'move' it to another cache, but it's not really there.

On 2/27/2009 at 12:57 PM, Bear and Ragged said:

Trackables should be listed in the Inventory part of the cache page.

If you become a Premium Member you can run a PQ (Pocket Query) to search for caches with trackables in.

That's no guarantee that someone may have visited the cache before you get there, and removed the TB/Geocoin!

Also one of the the reasons why tracking numbers should not be put on the cache or TB page.

There are those that will claim to find the trackable and 'move' it to another cache, but it's not really there.

So I was asking this question the other day too. To clarify there is not a way to set a map filter and just view caches with trackables in them..correct? you would have to search specifically for what trackable you would like to view?

1 hour ago, gvillines said:

So I was asking this question the other day too. To clarify there is not a way to set a map filter and just view caches with trackables in them..correct? you would have to search specifically for what trackable you would like to view?

As a Premium member, you can create a PQ to just include caches with TBs in them (according to the logs anyway). You can then map the preview of that PQ to see where those caches are.

image.png.9210ba4d3724e6adaddbd7493e8d1feb.png

Edited by barefootjeff
1 hour ago, gvillines said:

There sure is a way! Barefootjeff explains how.

5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

To clarify: you can search for caches that have trackables listed in the inventory, but the only way to be sure they are actually in the cache is to visit it and look. 

Yep. 

Though the OP didn't come back, and apparently left the hobby a month later, that's still good information for those in a search.   :)

We've found more trackables not logged in a cache's inventory.  Many were dumped by folks who held onto them too long. 

Maybe embarrassed, hoping no one would notice.  We're just happy they're still in play...

We don't even look at the inventory anymore.  Rather to be happily surprised by finding one, than be disappointed that another is in error.