Deleteing bug drop notes - Acceptable?

baloo&bd

Please. Like everyone else here, you have NO CLUE about the facts of this UGLY LOCAL SITUATION. Why ? Because b&bd conveniently left that info out. If you care to know THE TRUTH, ask us. If you want half truths, keep reading b&bd posts. Wow, it's amazing how some people have NO CLUE how to tell the truth.

Well...You're right, I don't. This thread isn't about the ugliness you're experiencing. The thread is about whether it's OK to delete Notes that were only written to facilitate a Bug Drop. These forums are not the place to come and start attacking people by name, so you may want to keep that in check. I don't beleive I was even commenting on the ugliness you're experiencing, as most of the clueless people here also were not. Can you take the ugliness elsewhere, so we can continue discussing the question at hand? Thanks.

Let's see...The question was "Deleteing bug drop notes - Acceptable?"

My answer...I don't do it but it is acceptable, however, to avoid potential "Ugliness" an email to the author of the note explaining the deletion would be helpful.

Here's the bottom line on this particular situation with the op. Baloo&bd deleted our post on December 6,2008. We then deleted their post on January 5th, 2009. DO THE MATH !! They deleted our post 30 days before we deleted theirs yet they go around trying to get everyone to believe that they're stumped as to why we deleted their post. I don't care what kind of post it was. They deleted us so we deleted them. If they wouldn't have deleted ours, we wouldn't have deleted theirs ! It's that simple. Baloo&bd DID NOT delete our post for ANY OF THE REASONS THEY'VE POSTED HERE ! They deleted if for personal reasons so DO NOT let them fool you with their jibberish about cleaning up cache pages etc... because it's a bunch of BULL !!!

Please. Like everyone else here, you have NO CLUE about the facts of this UGLY LOCAL SITUATION. Why ? Because b&bd conveniently left that info out. If you care to know THE TRUTH, ask us. If you want half truths, keep reading b&bd posts. Wow, it's amazing how some people have NO CLUE how to tell the truth.

Well...You're right, I don't. This thread isn't about the ugliness you're experiencing. The thread is about whether it's OK to delete Notes that were only written to facilitate a Bug Drop. These forums are not the place to come and start attacking people by name, so you may want to keep that in check. I don't beleive I was even commenting on the ugliness you're experiencing, as most of the clueless people here also were not. Can you take the ugliness elsewhere, so we can continue discussing the question at hand? Thanks.

Let's see...The question was "Deleteing bug drop notes - Acceptable?"

My answer...I don't do it but it is acceptable, however, to avoid potential "Ugliness" an email to the author of the note explaining the deletion would be helpful.

Here's the bottom line on this particular situation with the op. Baloo&bd deleted our post on December 6,2008. We then deleted their post on January 5th, 2009. DO THE MATH !! They deleted our post 30 days before we deleted theirs yet they go around trying to get everyone to believe that they're stumped as to why we deleted their post. I don't care what kind of post it was. They deleted us so we deleted them. If they wouldn't have deleted ours, we wouldn't have deleted theirs ! It's that simple. Baloo&bd DID NOT delete our post for ANY OF THE REASONS THEY'VE POSTED HERE ! They deleted if for personal reasons so DO NOT let them fool you with their jibberish about cleaning up cache pages etc... because it's a bunch of BULL !!!

But mommy, he hit me first...... :D

WARNING: b&bd are master web spinners and if you have even half a brain you're not going to buy the bs above. What cache owner in their right mind would delete someones tb/coin swap note ? NONE !! b&bd would have you believe they did so to save others from the deadly long scroll? BS ! They deleted our bug/coin swap note FOR PERSONAL REASONS !! We posted on 12-16. They deleted on 12-18. THEN they logged a find on one of ours 31 days later. We deleted it. Wouldn't you? They're still posting fairytales telling all of you that they have no idea why ???? Get real.

You apearantly have not read the discussion here, but can you please quit with the petty personal attacks? We're having a discussion of ettiquite here, not bickering over some personal situation. You're making yourself look very foolish, since you clearly have not read the discussion, and keep attacking the OP, when they never even brought up your name. That's not really allowed here, so please quit. There are MANY people who delete "Notes" on the Caches they own. Many of them are even in their right mind.

Do you understand that deleting these "Notes" does not affect the location or milage of the Traveler??

Do YOU understand that the op didn't delete our note for the reasons he's telling you he did ? You apparently haven't read what I've written. I'm "attacking" the op ? If I am, it's BECAUSE HE'S LYING TO ALL OF YOU ! Hello !! They deleted our post FOR PERSONAL REASONS and NOTHING whatsoever to do with cleaning up the cache page. "Discussion of ettiquite? More like a discussion that began WITH A LIE ! Later.Done.Better things to do.

Do you understand that deleting these "Notes" does not affect the location or milage of the Traveler??

Do YOU understand that the op didn't delete our note for the reasons he's telling you he did ? You apparently haven't read what I've written. I'm "attacking" the op ? If I am, it's BECAUSE HE'S LYING TO ALL OF YOU ! Hello !! They deleted our post FOR PERSONAL REASONS and NOTHING whatsoever to do with cleaning up the cache page. "Discussion of ettiquite? More like a discussion that began WITH A LIE ! Later.Done.Better things to do.

Man, this is crazy. Instead of trying to just lash out, why not stop and listen to what people are telling you? What difference does it make whether the OP deleted your BUG DROP NOTES for personal reasons or not? It's a HUGE difference than deleting a FOUND LOG! Where a note makes no difference, messing with someone's stats is bad bad bad (but you already knew that before...right???).

Maybe you and the OP should stop any petty arguments and simply stay away from each other, each others caches etc. It's obvious you yourself cannot act mature enough to keep personal feelings out of the mix, I've yet to see if the OP can or has (and frankly, it doesn't even matter at this point).

Luckily all this hoo-haa is apparently happening waaay over in IL...far from me here in AZ.

I have and will continue to delete "Bug Drop!" notes that I log, and those made by others on my cache pages.

baloo&bd have carried on a rational, understandable discussion of the issue, while TeamSeekAndWeShallFind seem to be rather irrational and over-reactive (see Vinny's post for clarification)

Sounds to me like they need a checkup from the neck up, big time! Either that, or they need to get back on their meds (or, alternatively, they may need to stop self-medicating themselves with random street drugs!)

Not really seeking advice because frankly, I am going to keep doing it, however I would like to see what others think.

Recently a found it log on a cache I found was deleted. I didn't think much of it since this cacher tends to delete lots of found it logs (a whole thread in itself) however I saw them post s note that the reason they deleted my particular one was because I had deleted their logs. Once again I was dumbfounded until I realized they were talking about a "Dropped TB" note on one of my caches.

For quite some time I have made a practice of deleting these type when I find/see them on my caches. It does not affect the bug or the user picking up or dropping them. I originally did this because there were still many cachers in my area using printouts at the time and it cut down the logs that did not help them. Now I do it because those of use with Treos, Blackberries, etc. go to the web site from the field and have to scroll through these logs in the field. A minor irritant, but an irritant none the less.

I am starting to see it become more popular. Would you be upset if yours got deleted? Why?

Understand, I am not talking about a note that has any content. I do leave those. I am talking about the "Left TB", "Dropping off TB", "Moving bug along" and their ilk.

Baloo deleted 1 of my bug drop notes so I asked him why. Now I delete them myself and we were friends and still are freinds.

Luckily all this hoo-haa is apparently happening waaay over in IL...far from me here in AZ.

I have and will continue to delete "Bug Drop!" notes that I log, and those made by others on my cache pages.

baloo&bd have carried on a rational, understandable discussion of the issue, while TeamSeekAndWeShallFind seem to be rather irrational and over-reactive (see Vinny's post for clarification)

Sounds to me like they need a checkup from the neck up, big time! Either that, or they need to get back on their meds (or, alternatively, they may need to stop self-medicating themselves with random street drugs!)

WARNING: b&bd are master web spinners and if you have even half a brain you're not going to buy the bs above. What cache owner in their right mind would delete someones tb/coin swap note ? NONE !! b&bd would have you believe they did so to save others from the deadly long scroll? BS ! They deleted our bug/coin swap note FOR PERSONAL REASONS !! We posted on 12-16. They deleted on 12-18. THEN they logged a find on one of ours 31 days later. We deleted it. Wouldn't you? They're still posting fairytales telling all of you that they have no idea why ???? Get real.

You apearantly have not read the discussion here, but can you please quit with the petty personal attacks? We're having a discussion of ettiquite here, not bickering over some personal situation. You're making yourself look very foolish, since you clearly have not read the discussion, and keep attacking the OP, when they never even brought up your name. That's not really allowed here, so please quit. There are MANY people who delete "Notes" on the Caches they own. Many of them are even in their right mind.

Dude, you need to back off of the caffeine, mkay?

I hope you are done. If not, I can help you with that.

bangouch.gif

I'm "attacking" the op ? If I am, it's BECAUSE HE'S LYING TO ALL OF YOU ! Hello !! They deleted our post FOR PERSONAL REASONS and NOTHING whatsoever to do with cleaning up the cache page.

Even though it has been said several times that a Note (especially for a tb drop) and a Found It are distinctly different types of logs and that the deletion of these two log types has different results it appears that you believe they are equal.

Can you address this point because until you do it will be very hard to see and understand your point of view.

I can't imagine any reasonable person still being angry or holding a grudge against you if you were to explain the reason for your note deletions like you explained in your OP.

Okay, I now take back what I said earlier. What was I thinking? :laughing:

I am not going to participate in this thread any longer except to say that as rule, I delete all my own bug drops. If you do find a note from me regarding a TB drop it is at least a couple years old or some sort of oversight, the later I will correct if pointed out.

It has started to become more frequent (I won't use the word common) to delete these, some going as far to delete all notes. I do it frequently and without regard to who the poster of the note is. I in fact, have only got two messages over the years asking what happened and none of those were from anyone in this thread.

There are no agendas, grudges or anything else to any "story". I only wanted to get opinions since I saw this very thing pop up as a side note in at least three other threads here which made it appear not as regional as even I thought it was. I have never deleted a found it log or note containing information except on my virtual and then because it was one of those "virtual" finders who covers several states in an hour.

As I said at the outset, I had no intent of changing the behaviour. If there were any compelling suggestions or reasons, I was however open to consider change. I did see a comment or two that gave me an idea that I will probably implement; a note in the description asking owners to delete short logs like the examples given and that they are subject to deletion without notice. Just have to figure out the wording.

Sorry if this offended any of you, I was simply looking for input for me and possibly giving others an opportunity for someone to see something from one of the paperless cachers perspectives. I looked back over my threads and thought they were "faceless" but apparently I was wrong.

Everything this person says is a lie. Our caches are ALL OVER this guy's neighborhood but he hasn't hunted a single one ! What does that tell you ? That's right ! It tells you that what I've been saying all along here is THE TRUTH ! He has a problem with us personally which is THE ONLY REASON he deleted our bug swap note, which by the way was for 10 bugs/coins that sat in his cache for 3 weeks so we picked them up and moved them all. So use your heads. His story about cleaning up his cache page is bull and as far as deleting posts to keep the pages short, his caches are out in the boonies right next to ours and the cache in question might get a visitor every few months ! There are maybe 10 of us in the whole area. So it's not like this is a cache in the middle of an area bustling with cachers. Last week we placed 6 new caches in the park right next to his business. These caches are closer to his business than his own caches are but he hasn't hunted a single one because HE HAS A BEEF !! Then he logs one of his friends's new caches right by ours and says, "We've done every cache within an 11 mile radius of Sycamore." The note was for our benefit to show us, "I'm ignoring your caches." You people here don't know half of it. He deleted our note for one reason and one reason only and it's all personal. It's fine with us that he despises us but DON'T LIE TO EVERYONE ! You can all jump on me and believe this guy, I don't give a hoot. Bottom line is, we do not lie. We do not pull the wool over other people's eyes. We do not mislead others in the geocaching commnuity.

We only found out about how this guy feels when he deleted our post. We then realized he's friends with the locals who destroyed all of our cache sites. It goes on and on. Bottom line is, DON'T MISLEAD PEOPLE IN THE FORUMS and make us look like the bad guys.

We don't give a hoot that he deleted our post. Who cares but what we do care about is when we see people start threads but only provide half the story and/or half truths. That's wrong and it's misleading and decietful. You all might not like us or think we're rude but you know what ? We're tired of the lies and the mistruths. Hate us, who cares, but TELL THE dadgum TRUTH AND THE WHOLE STORY WHEN YOU START A THREAD ! Later.

He's acting all professional here with his comments and apologizing and everything else. It's ALL PHONEY ! Gimme a break !

I can't say for anyone else, but I could care less if he's lying or not, it hasn't a thing to do with this. Regardless of why the log was deleted, it was a NOTE! A simple note which has no bearing on anything...unlike delting a find! Funny thing, you said he ignores your hides yet you've deleted his find, must be he didn't ignore all of them? And, if I thought my finds would be deleted, I'd ignore your hides anyways. Besides, is there a rule that says local cachers aren't allowed to ignore other locals' hides??

When you can figure out the difference between a note and a find log, you might start to understand. Besides, I thought you were already told you couldn't delete finds for personal reasons?

Baloo deleted 1 of my bug drop notes so I asked him why. Now I delete them myself and we were friends and still are freinds.

Irrational ? You got that right ! We're sick of people who lie in the forums. Here's another guy, part of the B&bd gang. They went around all last summer ripping up our cache sites because they got mad that they couldn't find some of our difficult micros. They BOMBARDED us with pleas for clues. They left logs with cuss words. We ran into him on the street one day while checking a cache and he admitted to us with his own mouth that his buddy tore up the tree at our cache site ! This guy's buddy tore every branch off the tree because he couldn't find the cache. After we saw that we gave a full descrip of the cache and exactly where to find it so they'd stop destroying the place. So, you can all gossip and blab about us and post ridiculous comments like the one above because that's what you all do in forums. Gossip,Gossip,Gossip but not one of you has the facts and that makes me laugh ! If you did have the facts, you would all feel really stupid. Why don't you ask this guy here about how he makes up fake geocaching names and sends us creepy emails ? We know it's him because the creepy emails come from the same IP address that his regular emails used to come from(back before the war started we were civil to one another). Go ahead, ask him about it. While you're at it, ask the other one what he did to our cache last summer ? He'll deny it of course but we know the truth because we saw him do it ! This is ridic and as with most forum discussions, it's going nowhere. None of you know us, if you did you'd probably like us. We don't lie, we don't cheat and we don't mislead others with half truths. This topic started with a lie and went downhill.

Sounds like this goes along with this:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3737045

And this one here !! We can't seem to get away from her. Everywhere we go she's sure to follow with a link or a comment. She HATES OUR GUTS yet she checks up on EVERYTHING we do and say. It's truly bizarre. If you hate someone would'nt you stay as far away as possible from them ? We don't go running around looking for her and wondering what she's up to but she does with us. EVERY TIME we post something she's right there !! She sees our name and it's, "Click."

As for the link she provided you...She bashed us and the cache in question in a local forum. Blah-Blah-Blah, her and all her buddies but then they went out THE VERY NEXT DAY and hunted that same cache !! They talked about PMO caches for 2 days and went on and on about how much they despise them and cache owners who have them. They even bashed GC.com for wanting people to buy premium memberships, but they went out the very next day and looked for it !!!

That's right ! We deleted her log ! You know why ? Because the hypocrisy was DISGUSTING, that's why.

The weirdest part is, all the people in the local forum who contributed to bashing PMO caches, ARE ALL PREMIUM MEMBERS !! Tell me how that makes sense ? It would make sense if it was a regular member who couldn't afford a PM, but it wasn't. They ALL have paid memberships !!

It's like the cachers who complain about caches not being handicapped accessible but they're not handicapped !! The only person who should complain about PMO caches is a non-premium member and the only people who should complain about wheelchair accessible caches are cachers in wheelchairs.

None of it makes sense ! She got her log back on our page but she's still complaining about it by posting the link her again and the only reason she posted the link here AGAIN is to stir up the pot. Gotta go. Ugghh.

Yes. That's quite enough of that.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussion regarding the etiquette of deleting bug drop notes.

Me, I will delete the ones that say "logging personal tracking coin for mileage." How about everyone else?

Sounds like this goes along with this:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3737045

And this one here !! We can't seem to get away from her. Everywhere we go she's sure to follow with a link or a comment. She HATES OUR GUTS yet she checks up on EVERYTHING we do and say. It's truly bizarre. If you hate someone would'nt you stay as far away as possible from them ? We don't go running around looking for her and wondering what she's up to but she does with us. EVERY TIME we post something she's right there !! She sees our name and it's, "Click."

As for the link she provided you...She bashed us and the cache in question in a local forum. Blah-Blah-Blah, her and all her buddies but then they went out THE VERY NEXT DAY and hunted that same cache !! They talked about PMO caches for 2 days and went on and on about how much they despise them and cache owners who have them. They even bashed GC.com for wanting people to buy premium memberships, but they went out the very next day and looked for it !!!

That's right ! We deleted her log ! You know why ? Because the hypocrisy was DISGUSTING, that's why.

The weirdest part is, all the people in the local forum who contributed to bashing PMO caches, ARE ALL PREMIUM MEMBERS !! Tell me how that makes sense ? It would make sense if it was a regular member who couldn't afford a PM, but it wasn't. They ALL have paid memberships !!

It's like the cachers who complain about caches not being handicapped accessible but they're not handicapped !! The only person who should complain about PMO caches is a non-premium member and the only people who should complain about wheelchair accessible caches are cachers in wheelchairs.

None of it makes sense ! She got her log back on our page but she's still complaining about it by posting the link her again and the only reason she posted the link here AGAIN is to stir up the pot. Gotta go. Ugghh.

Ok, so I guess I am going to prove TSAWSF correct in that I am responding to their comment on this. Incorrect however in that I 'check up on EVERYTHING' they say or do. I really could not care less what they do or say UNLESS they are attacking people with who I am either friends with (they did this back in the fall of 2007 on their profile page no less and yes, before anyone asks, I have a copy of this) or attacking the organization that I am associated with.

For the most part, when I get notice of a new cache being published in the area, if I click on the link and find out it is theirs, I put it onto an ignore list. I began to do this when I received an email from TSAWSF (on 10/15/08) that opened with "Not sure why you people would be interested in our caches." and closed with "Not sure how you would expect to be treated if you came out to our neck of the woods and visited our caches??" They knew I had looked at a cache because of the audit log on the PMO caches. After receiving something with an ending like that, would any one want to go hunt their stuff? Well, I am sure some would take it as a challenge but not me. Yes, I did end up hunting one of their caches. If it were not for that cache meeting a requirement for a local challenge cache, I would have bypassed it. Not because it is a PMO cache (I have hunted other PMO caches without any incident and will continue to do so) but because of the verbal assault that so many folks have received by them.

Before they were banned from the local forums, I learned that complete quoting of their posts was necessary because they would go back and edit their posts, thus throwing everything others would say out of context. (because of this, I apologize about the long quote but TSAWSF taught me the lesson that one must CYA).

No, I was not complaining about my log having been deleted when I posted the link. I posted the link because it DID/does have relevance to the issue of this thread. Baloo&bd are not the only ones who have had Found It logs deleted by TSAWSF. Other cachers in Northern Illinois have too (besides me). Cachers that for the most part stay to themselves, go out caching for the enjoyment, and are probably some of the nicest people you could meet (like just about every other cacher I have meet).

Because this issue has come up once again, I guess that what was written in an email (sent through the GC.com system) dated 12/4/08 was incorrect. TSAWSF wrote "We have since learned/realized that deleting logs/posts due to personal issues is wrong." I fully expect that my log from November is going to be deleted after this post, and if it is, so be it. In the grand scheme of things, it really does not matter. I am just tired of the verbal attacks and the fact that many people now have an area that they avoid caching in.

To bring this back to the question asked by Baloo&bd -

As for the question of the OP, I don't have cache hides that are large enough to hold trade items so I don't have that issue. I don't know that I would delete them if I did. Maybe if it is a difficult cache and the past logs and notes could be of help to other hunters I would, but because I am not in that situation, who is to say? However, I DO delete a note done for a bug drop if I make it, UNLESS the bug is being dropped for a specific person to pick up. I do this because of previously states things such as those who go paperless and only have the last 5 or so logs to look back at while out in the field.

I thought it was an interesting discussion on etiquette on a harmless topic. Suddenly I am much less interested in the whole thing. Though, for a while, I had to keep asking myself if this is one of those Vinnyesque threads.

To TSAWSF:

DON'T MISLEAD PEOPLE IN THE FORUMS and make us look like the bad guys.

I'd have to say you are doing a very fine job of that yourself. Behave like it is you vs. the world and usually it will end up as you vs. the world.

I certainly leave the notes on my caches. I simply don't understand the paperless mantra of keeping the cache page clean. I know the argument, I just don't think it is worthy. Any time I drop a bug or grab a bug from a cache and am writing a note I list the bugs or coins I am leaving. I have found this useful when trying to track down missing bugs a few times, so I do it.

So I agree with PS, leave the logs alone.

Me too... the took / left record ( a very brief one ) is a necessary item for tracking missing and otherwise misplaced items... I've solved a few rather involved misplacings in my short career... ha. No record no solution, or not as neat anyway... It doesn't have to be very big either... just clear what it entailed... I use intials of the name and whether it is TB or GC.. or the reference number...

A visit to place something or collect one after one has found is part of the cache log... and should remain...

This does not apply to "oops, I forgot to drop this" type entries... but does to visit notes...

Doug

Everything this person says is a lie. Our caches are ALL OVER this guy's neighborhood but he hasn't hunted a single one ! What does that tell you ? That's right ! It tells you that what I've been saying all along here is THE TRUTH ! He has a problem with us personally which is THE ONLY REASON he deleted our bug swap note, which by the way was for 10 bugs/coins that sat in his cache for 3 weeks so we picked them up and moved them all. So use your heads. His story about cleaning up his cache page is bull and as far as deleting posts to keep the pages short, his caches are out in the boonies right next to ours and the cache in question might get a visitor every few months ! There are maybe 10 of us in the whole area. So it's not like this is a cache in the middle of an area bustling with cachers. Last week we placed 6 new caches in the park right next to his business. These caches are closer to his business than his own caches are but he hasn't hunted a single one because HE HAS A BEEF !! Then he logs one of his friends's new caches right by ours and says, "We've done every cache within an 11 mile radius of Sycamore." The note was for our benefit to show us, "I'm ignoring your caches." You people here don't know half of it. He deleted our note for one reason and one reason only and it's all personal. It's fine with us that he despises us but DON'T LIE TO EVERYONE ! You can all jump on me and believe this guy, I don't give a hoot. Bottom line is, we do not lie. We do not pull the wool over other people's eyes. We do not mislead others in the geocaching commnuity.

We only found out about how this guy feels when he deleted our post. We then realized he's friends with the locals who destroyed all of our cache sites. It goes on and on. Bottom line is, DON'T MISLEAD PEOPLE IN THE FORUMS and make us look like the bad guys.

We don't give a hoot that he deleted our post. Who cares but what we do care about is when we see people start threads but only provide half the story and/or half truths. That's wrong and it's misleading and decietful. You all might not like us or think we're rude but you know what ? We're tired of the lies and the mistruths. Hate us, who cares, but TELL THE dadgum TRUTH AND THE WHOLE STORY WHEN YOU START A THREAD ! Later.

He's acting all professional here with his comments and apologizing and everything else. It's ALL PHONEY ! Gimme a break !

Two questions:

1. If you don't give a hoot that he deleted your log, why did you delete his?

2. Do you want him to look for your caches? Why should he, when you are waiting to delete his logs?

I certainly leave the notes on my caches. I simply don't understand the paperless mantra of keeping the cache page clean. I know the argument, I just don't think it is worthy. Any time I drop a bug or grab a bug from a cache and am writing a note I list the bugs or coins I am leaving. I have found this useful when trying to track down missing bugs a few times, so I do it.

So I agree with PS, leave the logs alone.

Me too... the took / left record ( a very brief one ) is a necessary item for tracking missing and otherwise misplaced items... I've solved a few rather involved misplacings in my short career... ha. No record no solution, or not as neat anyway... It doesn't have to be very big either... just clear what it entailed... I use intials of the name and whether it is TB or GC.. or the reference number...

A visit to place something or collect one after one has found is part of the cache log... and should remain...

This does not apply to "oops, I forgot to drop this" type entries... but does to visit notes...

Wow! To paraphrase a movie line, " I picked the wrong time to ignore a thread". It became too tempting when some of you started PMing me. I will try to respond to some of these points.

I am not talking about deleting notes, only the short TB Drop. It started for me when I was in the field, wanting to look at logs and had to scroll through a long Description and then there were about 8 or 10 of these in a row. It was an irritant for me so figured it might be for others.

I looked on one of my caches after that and noticed one with a period that had almost as many TB notes. It a personal preference for me, I just started to notice I was not the only one and it being at least referenced in other threads. In the filed, that little screen just has too litlle real state FOR MY TASTE.

Edited by baloo&bd

Me, I will delete the ones that say "logging personal tracking coin for mileage." How about everyone else?

Leave 'em all.

Life is too short to clean up an electronic database for no particular purpose.

You're right. I don't go to logs specifically for that. I do however from time to time review the logs on my caches after I realized that the notify feature does not include people that go back and edit their logs which happens more frequently that I thought. I do enjoy reading the logs.

Since I am there anyway, I do it then.

Even though I think you are doing nothing wrong, my recommendation is to leave the notes alone. The fight against general ignorance is noble, but it is also a guaranteed pathway to disappointment.

I might be a little guilty here. Aside from wanting to see how this action is trending elsewhere, in the back of my mind I also knew that maybe having a discussion, even though the percentage of active cachers that come here is relatively small, would at least point out the fact to many that these notes in and of themselves have no bearing on the bugs history and maybe preempt any problems.

I haven't ignored all the comments regarding the validity of doing this. While I don't agree with all of them, as a result of some of the suggestions I will be put a note in all my descriptions. Unfortunately as we all know, those often go unread

With all the ones I have done, there has only been an issue one time so I guess at least in my area, it is a non-issue. For the most part, most here are now deleting their own.

(Edit. I already noted the irony in me responding in three different emails and "cluttering up" the thread. <_< )

Edited by baloo&bd

Moving away from the soap opera, and back toward the original question, I’d add one reason why I would not want TB drop notes deleted:

We have a challenge cache posted nearby. In April there will be a major geocaching event in the Twin Cities, and in preparation for that, the challenge cache asks people to find caches within 50 miles which have not had a visit in the past 3 months. The cacher should confirm that the cache still is where is belongs, and that the log book is dry and has plenty of room for future finders to sign. Doing that for ten caches allows you to hunt the challenge cache.

The challenge cache specifically says that the caches you find must have had no visits in the past three months, and states that TB pickup/drops do count as a visit (presumably, the cache is still there, even if the status of the logbook is unknown). So, when I look at the logs of a cache I think may be eligible, I want any logs from the past three months…

Admittedly, if someone has posted a FOUNDIT after the bug pickup/drop, my objection becomes moot.

I’d never thought about deleting my drop/swap notes before, but I may go back and do so now—as long as I don’t interfere with the past three months of history.

For quite some time I have made a practice of deleting these type when I find/see them on my caches. It does not affect the bug or the user picking up or dropping them.

Understand, I am not talking about a note that has any content. I do leave those. I am talking about the "Left TB", "Dropping off TB", "Moving bug along" and their ilk.

Periodically, I'll go through all my hides, and delete notes that have no longer have relevance. For example, a "needs maintenance" note from two years ago, on a cache that was fixed immediately? No relevance. Away it goes.

"Fluff" notes get the same treatment.

I agree with you doing that, and it shouldn't bother anyone (thought it probably will <G>).

I'm from the preserve-the-cache-history school. I don't generally delete valid logs.

Edited by wmpastor