TB mileage not calculating

MaxB on the River

Just updated mileage on all of my TB's. seems to have worked fine. Will keep an eye on them over the next couple of weeks.

You had to do it yourself right?

I have to do mine manually. Thought this was going to be fixed by now. Will keep watching and updating manually....

I think the auto calculator is broke again. I have to update all my geocoins mileage now.

I thought this was on the agenda to fix? Was it ever done or is it still being worked on?

Same problem here. Geocoin moved from Ohio to Hawaii, still only show a trip of 61 miles not the 4,991 miles travelled. :D

Since the upgrade to the database the system used to calculate the TB movements offline needed to be upgraded. I just re-enabled that system. You will start to see the updates show up over a small window of time as it's a background process.

-Raine

Since the upgrade to the database the system used to calculate the TB movements offline needed to be upgraded. I just re-enabled that system. You will start to see the updates show up over a small window of time as it's a background process.

-Raine

Thank you for the update Raine. I'll give it a few days to catch up.

What will happen if you click the recalculate mileage tab?

That worked for me! Thanks.

Has anyone considered that this could be a cache problem, that is, a problem with our computers local cache. Has anyone experiencing the problem tried refreshing/reloading the TB page? If the 'mileage traveled' is something that gets stored locally on your computer then it could be calling up the old mileage when the TB page loads.

Just a thought.

Edited by square_peg

Has anyone considered that this could be a cache problem, that is, a problem with our computers local cache. Has anyone experiencing the problem tried refreshing/reloading the TB page? If the 'mileage traveled' is something that gets stored locally on your computer then it could be calling up the old mileage when the TB page loads.

Just a thought.

I didn't but Raine said it was a Groundspeak issue and everytime this happens they have to fix it and then it works again so.......

In fact, this seems to be quite a common problem. Many counters (TB3159V for example) show over 500km less than they actually travelled. Groundspeak knows about this general problem (since three years), has heard many complaints, and isn't doing enough about it. A simple operation, like auto-refreshing all mileages in one go, would easily solve the problem - especially if it is noticed so many are awfully out of sync.

Still, Groundspeak does nothing noticeable - just like the many bugs in the WAP-Interface that throw critical errors at the users in a constant stream, something well documented since half a year in many forum posts.

It's behaviour like that which makes users indifferent to guidelines and turn to software like the "Android-Geocaching-Client-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named", if you know what I mean.

My Travel Bug (dog tags) TB333N8 has been placed for the first time. On the associated log it say that the T/B is 220.0 miles from my Home. On the T/B's page the map says it has traveled 399ft. On the map it clearly shows that it has been moved from Surrey to Cornwall and says that (in the second entry) 216.7miles.

Anyone have any ideas why this would be?

Regards

Peter

Some TB's don't update their movement stats until the evening batch process. There's a drop down option to recalculate the mileage on the TB page itself. I've gone ahead and done that for you.

-Raine

Many thanks Raine,

I've located the drop down that you mentioned.

Regards

Peter

Some TB's don't update their movement stats until the evening batch process. There's a drop down option to recalculate the mileage on the TB page itself. I've gone ahead and done that for you.

-Raine

Can someone tell me where this drop down is? I can"t seem to find it!

They hide it. Access your bug page and on the right-hand side you'll see...

3bd5a0bc-28c7-4c1b-9293-d61c4aab9185.jpg

Edited by BlueDeuce

-Raine

Can someone tell me where this drop down is? I can"t seem to find it!

They hide it. Access your bug page and on the right-hand side you'll see...

3bd5a0bc-28c7-4c1b-9293-d61c4aab9185.jpg

Thanks, Blue Deuce!!

So, have they stopped adding the travel bug milage on the main travel bug page? The individual milage for each move is no longer showing up. The overall milage is there and the individual milage is shown on the "view map" page. I have "recalculated milage" for each of my travel bugs that have moved recently and none of the recent milage is showing up on the main page. Is this another glitch or have they changed the format?

So, have they stopped adding the travel bug milage on the main travel bug page? The individual milage for each move is no longer showing up. The overall milage is there and the individual milage is shown on the "view map" page. I have "recalculated milage" for each of my travel bugs that have moved recently and none of the recent milage is showing up on the main page. Is this another glitch or have they changed the format?

I observed the same thing after running "Recalculate Distance" 2x

@First I thought it had to do with using kilometers in stead of miles, since on the view map page the miles are given, while on the main page it uses my unit settings which is set to kilometers.

But seeing that surfersteve lives in the US, I now see that it is not.

It is annoying, since now you have to keep track of the total to see if it has changed.

Edited by Nemelis

Well took me days to work it out looks like that you can not see it on the log anymore you have to view map

which i do not like

can the powers to be place the mileage back on the log page

instead of clicking on view map

they could have said thought it was just me

has always but not this time

Please Change it back!!!!!!

thanks

Labrador Wild man

This is a spotty issue. I have posted this issue in the new update thread but don't think I got a reply as of yet.

If you click recalculate mileage, the cache to cache mileage won't show up until the next morning even though the total mileage updates instantaneously. If left untouched the mileage calculates itself(usually!!) sometime during the night(PST). This is set up this way to relieve server load as I was told.

I have examples that the cache to cache mileage won't show up the next day and examples where it has. Definitely an issue to me.

This started after the June 2 release. I was asked to give it a couple days and it still was doing it after 4. So I reposted that it was still not working and never have gotten a reply so I just reposted in the release thread today now that the fb and friends list complaining has slowed. Maybe someone will see it and let us know whats going on.

Edited by Shilo

New mileage bug?

It seems that the mileage between caches won't display unless the bug travels more than 1 mile. I'm not sure if this is the same bug that folks have been reporting lately, but it only started happening after the June update, so I'm guessing we're all talking about the same thing.

For an example, take a look at our personal tracker coin. As of today, five of the last ten coin drops don't show any mileage. Each of these caches are less than one mile away from the last cache visited.

As I go back through the history, I don't see a single drop where the displayed mileage is less than 1 mile. The lowest distance displayed that I've found is exactly 1 mile (I also found one for 1.01 miles). Every distance that would be less than 1 mile is simply blank.

(And yes, I have tried recalculating mileage. It ain't working.)

Edited by hzoi

FWIW http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1470237 has been moved 59 times since September 2008 and now shows 0 miles.

Recalculate Mileage doesn't work.

Since proper tracking is something that we paid for when we bought these TBs I hope this issue will be bumped to a top priority.

Maybe I'm missing something but I see 6 pages of Discovers and only one cache visit. There wouldn't be any mileage.

FWIW http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1470237 has been moved 59 times since September 2008 and now shows 0 miles.

Recalculate Mileage doesn't work.

Since proper tracking is something that we paid for when we bought these TBs I hope this issue will be bumped to a top priority.

Maybe I'm missing something but I see 6 pages of Discovers and only one cache visit. There wouldn't be any mileage.

Cool, thanks!

Is there a way that mileage shows up for the magnetic car travel bugs (they aren't logged into cache's unless you do it yourself as you visit one). Wish there was a way a user could put the gps coordinates were where they saw it perhaps?

Never heard anyone chime in...now we can "dip" in the newest release and it does not appear to gain mileage either. Am I the only one this is happening to, or am I just finding a featuer I think would be cool to have?

Anyone still having problem with this? Our TB is not calculating the last move:( Recalculate distance not working:(

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2194884

When the distance between caches is short, the distance at the logs is not updated, but the total is. At least that is what I see. It does not matter if I wait for a day or so.

The short distance mileage was fixed at the last update. So this is a new issue that appears to have started yesterday.

same problem. my personal coin isnt racking up anymore miles even if i "recalculate"

it had made 4 visits since the last time it was updated.

the first was a 30+ mile trip the next 2 were within a few miles, and then the 4th was another 30+ mile trip.

no updates. also another bug i picked up has not calcualted the 30+ miles trip it just made.

Anyone still having problem with this? Our TB is not calculating the last move:( Recalculate distance not working:(

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2194884

When the distance between caches is short, the distance at the logs is not updated, but the total is. At least that is what I see. It does not matter if I wait for a day or so.

The last distance of my TB was over 4700 miles, so the problem is obviously of different kind:(

Wondering whether it may be caused by note I have inserted as a log entry...

Is there a way that mileage shows up for the magnetic car travel bugs (they aren't logged into cache's unless you do it yourself as you visit one). Wish there was a way a user could put the gps coordinates were where they saw it perhaps?

Good point... at last check, my '08 Prius TB had over 37,000 Miles. *TB was put on while STILL on the DEALER LOT!* Can someone update this for me?

The Steaks

The mileage doesn't always update instantly. Give it some time before you worry, but no updates have been made anywhere on the site since the 12th.

There is an elusive mileage bug that has plagued me for years, but it's too soon to tell if this is the case here.

But the # of geocaches placed has updated.

Edited by Pinehurst

Unless I've missed something from this conversation, I may have a different species of this bug. Take, for instance, our personal TB. It has been able to capture very small moves, even down to 0.06 miles (an Earthcache on top of a Virtual), and it's accumulated mileage does seem to recalculate somewhat automatically. However, under both logging systems (the old drop-n-retrieve and the new visit) the system very intermittently does not capture a cache-to-cache distance for a move. I really only noticed this after logging this weekend's cache run and seeing one glaring hole in the history (another good aspect of the new visit system, errors are easily visible), but now see that this goes back for the TB's entire two-year history. "Recalculate Distance" and waiting a few days does not seem to be working. Oddly enough, we took several TBs and coins along this weekend's trip, and all of them missed the mileage to the same cache on Aug. 15.

Any ideas??