Sevenoaks says Help!

Hello all,

I'm thinking of putting a cache in the park where I work, at Knole in Sevenoaks. What I really need is the help of someone who lives nearby to show me what the best sort of place to put it in is! We've got about 43 acres to choose from (certainly not the whole park, for reasons too uninteresting to go into) with a mixture of terrain, and HEAPS of deer everywhere.

Is there anyone who lives nearby who might be willing to give me a bit of help?

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/knole

Thank you! in advance.

Jonathan

Caches on National Trust property will require permission. Have a look at the landowner agreements database in the Geocaching Association of Great Britain website here.

The NT are very favourable towards geocaching but permission is required. Also re the comment above about paying. If you are required to pay to get to the location of a cache it won't be allowed - this is made clear in the guidelines "The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion." If the park is free but parking has to be paid for that would be allowed.

Check out my resource website. Lots of information about guidelines and permissions to help you!

Chris (MrB)

www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

That's excellent - thank you. The park is free to get into and open all year round, although yes, there is a car parking charge. I'll have a look at those websites.

I had a man who said he would help me but he seems to have disappeared! All I ever get is an answerphone. It's possible he spends the winter in Spain or something, I suppose.

Do people have to pay to get access to the park??? If so this may cause a problem when trying to get your cache approved

I know it is not the case here as it has been established there s no charge to get into the park.

I have previously enquired (while thinking of another location) and have been told as long as it is plainly stated on the cache page and open to the public and admission charge would not preclude the setting of a cache.

That said, it would have been somewhere where I think people would already be paying to get in and a cache would simply enhance their day, not be the reason for it.

There are several examples of caches in sites where you have to pay already in the UK.

Hello all,

I'm thinking of putting a cache in the park where I work, at Knole in Sevenoaks. What I really need is the help of someone who lives nearby to show me what the best sort of place to put it in is! We've got about 43 acres to choose from (certainly not the whole park, for reasons too uninteresting to go into) with a mixture of terrain, and HEAPS of deer everywhere.

Is there anyone who lives nearby who might be willing to give me a bit of help?

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/knole

Thank you! in advance.

Jonathan

I don't know if this will help but here goes:

What size cache are you going to place

After you decide go to YouTube and look at some vids of Caching

Review post of existing same size caches to see where they are placed

Then go for a stroll and find a sneaky place to hide it.

Good Luck!

Can I suggest that before you consider placing a cache you find a few? Will give you a much better idea of what is and what isn't a good cache. Also, I've just spent a couple of minutes and found that there are two caches already in Knole Park (Oh! Deer GC2AAF and Dyb Dyb Deer GC1D5VQ).

Happy caching!

Yes, as Lizzzzeeeee has said, it'd be a good idea to find some caches before you hide one. That'll give you a much better idea of suitable hiding places and so on. As to the contents, though, they tend to degenerate in quality over time, so if you find ones that are full of tat just remember that's not the way to start one!

As you've got two on your doorstep, so to speak, they might be good ones to start off with. And bear in mind that there's a proximity rule - you can't place a cache within 528 feet (161 metres) of an existing one.

Good luck!

Thank you all.

I have done a little bit of geocaching, so I've got a bit of an idea, but one of 'our' ones here has disappeared for whatever reason. Also I've not got a GPS system, and there are so few landmarks in the park it's almost impossible without one! Fortunately I've got a friend who's going to help me find the co-ordinates once I've decided where I want to put it.

I heard from somewhere that it's not the "done thing" to put any branded stuff in the box. I was thinking of putting a few laminated cards in about, for example, how to tell one specie of deer from another, what other wildlife there is etc, probably with the National Trust logo on. Will this make cachers grumpy?

I heard from somewhere that it's not the "done thing" to put any branded stuff in the box. I was thinking of putting a few laminated cards in about, for example, how to tell one specie of deer from another, what other wildlife there is etc, probably with the National Trust logo on. Will this make cachers grumpy?

I don't think that'll be a problem, I'd be happy to find them. It's more about people obviously advertising a product or service, or leaving "Want to earn £500 a day working from home? Call me now" type cards.

Thank you all.

I have done a little bit of geocaching, so I've got a bit of an idea, but one of 'our' ones here has disappeared for whatever reason. Also I've not got a GPS system, and there are so few landmarks in the park it's almost impossible without one! Fortunately I've got a friend who's going to help me find the co-ordinates once I've decided where I want to put it.

I've never had any problems with branded items in cache containers, as you are on NT property cann't see the problem in putting branded stuff in the cache (especially if you can blag little swag items - that the kids will love), probably better than the rubbish that ends up in some caches

There are no restrictions on what you can put into a cache for swaps, as long as you follow these Guidelines:

" Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled."

However, there are restrictions on what you can put on the actual cache page when you submit it for review.

MrsB :)