Quad Cities Cache Machine April 18

travisl

Anyone want to car pool? I'm driving in from Moscow in the morning and was hoping to either ride with someone else or take 3 others in my car. Seems silly to be doing the course with just me in the car.

Anyone have room for one more? :rolleyes:

Let me know,

Kirsten

kdahlappy@gmail.com

So this is now a two day event?

Nope. The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you run out of caches before you run out of daylight (it happened in Tri-Cities!). I don't expect to hit all of them, and designed the route so that the last section of the caches are near the evening dinner spot. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

So this is now a two day event?

Nope. The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you run out of caches before you run out of daylight (it happened in Tri-Cities!). I don't expect to hit all of them, and designed the route so that the last section of the caches are near the evening dinner spot. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

Thanks!

Jim

The shirts are on order please let me know how many and what sizes you need. I can add to the order all the way up to friday and still have them done for the friday night dinner. The cost is $17 each for sizes Youth Small and the way to 3XL, all the money raised from the sale of the shirts will help pay for the breakfast and lunch stops. Please if you are interested let me know so I can save the size you want. thanks quadsinthemudd. any questions you can email me at quadsinthemudd@gmail.com. I almost forgot.... wait I did forget to say that they are black shirts with silver printing on the front and back.

6e1906bb-c1eb-4b54-b70e-339ab2096001.jpg

2e229b97-c99d-41ab-ba06-63a930cff82e.jpg

For anyone interested at the event: We will have a $15 off coupon towards the purchase of the starter kit for pathtags. The starter kit is the first 50 custom pathtags -OR- you can use the coupon for 10% off a purchase in the Geocoin Store (www.geocoinstore.com). It will be good for 2 weeks after the quads cities cache machine event. So if you were thinking about creating a design, you could get your design started now and wait until you get the coupon to submit it to pathtags. MadHattersNeverland.com is the one that designed the event pathtag. They were very easy to work with.

Quick Question??? How many people will be here Friday night for a dinner get together? If I have a rough number, I'll check availability at a couple places.

The majority of people from further out then Spokane I would imagine. How far would you want to drive in the morning?

I know the 6 in my group will all be there be Friday night.

Edited by AndrewRJ

Ive never done a Webcam cache before, so, will there be someone in the area that we can call to get them to take the picture, save it and email it to us? Or should we be seeking a different way to claim these types of caches?

An internet enabled phone can probably save the image. Mine can and that is how my group will do it.

Ive never done a Webcam cache before, so, will there be someone in the area that we can call to get them to take the picture, save it and email it to us? Or should we be seeking a different way to claim these types of caches?

We will have a list of phone-a-cacher list for help while doing the cache machine. One of the ones on the list will be for calling when you get to the webcam and he will do the picture for you.

Quick Question??? How many people will be here Friday night for a dinner get together? If I have a rough number, I'll check availability at a couple places.

There's two of us, but we're not exactly sure what time we'll be rolling into town or whether we'll be in any shape to do anything more than just pass out for the night. We're caching our way there via the LONG southern route.

WEBCAM caches...

I am volunteering my services to take photos for those in need at the webcam caches. I will have my laptop with mobile wireless (ClearWire) or my iPhone with me at all times in order to accommodate those in need of a picture. You should call my cell phone... 509-751-6723.

BLiTzKeGGe®

WEBCAM caches...

I am volunteering my services to take photos for those in need at the webcam caches. I will have my laptop with mobile wireless (ClearWire) or my iPhone with me at all times in order to accommodate those in need of a picture. You should call my cell phone... 509-751-6723.

BLiTzKeGGe®

Thank you for your generous offer.

Jim

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, Ogeo.

The pre-event meeting spot, on Friday, April 17, at 7:30 p.m., will be in the parking lot of the Inn America, 46.4136°,-117.0021° (702 21st St, Lewiston ID).

At that location, I'll have the call-a-cacher list and any last minute route changes. Across the street is a McDonalds, an Arby's, and a Skippers, and there's a KFC a short walk down the street. Through the parking lot across the street is Sombrero Mexican restaurant (looks very small, might not be open).

I'll be posting the final route on Monday.

Travis, There are several issues with caches on the route. redgoat67, rocketglider, and I ran the first 70 caches on the route and made note of problems. I sent an email to Ogeo since we saw them yesterday and they are helping with the event, but I also wanted to make sure you saw the problem list that we encountered. If you want more information, but let me know.

1. Tip Top is missing. I see it has been disabled and the owner is going to replace it.

2. The Pullman Cache webcam is only refreshing itself every once in a while. It stayed at 6:38:23 yesterday for many hours. I looked at it this morning and again just a minute ago (2:47 pm on April 12) and it still says April 11 2009 13:53:54 which obviously was yesterday. So this won't be able to be used.

3. We didn't find Cache the Vision. Quads confirmed where it should be and it wasn't there. We found a hole where the cache probably was at one time.

4. Round Barn log is very fragile and ripping. It was dry but it has some black spots on it. It will totally fall apart at the cache machine and needs to be replaced before then.

5. A Brief History should be checked. We couldn't find the rubber item needed anywhere in the park so this virtual cache can't be completed. We confirmed with Ogeo, ISplash, and Quads on what that item is, and it is now gone from the park. This cache will need to be fixed before the event or removed from the list.

6. WebCam #2 isn't working at all. There is construction in the area and it doesn't show up in the picture and chain link fencing should be visible. The picture that my son (our person manning the computer at home) saw yesterday is exactly what I saw today when I went to the webcam. And that isn't what it looked like in real life yesterday. We were in exactly the right spot. I looked at the webcam this morning to confirm. It isn't refreshing at all and obviously hasn't for a very long time.

7. We didn't find Arboretum Woods. It could very likely be there, but I'm thinking at the very least the coords are off. Three of us searched for quite a while and were unable to make the grab.

8. We were unable to find Water Cannon. It could very likely be there, just well hidden. Or maybe we are blind! I'm open to either.

9. deer hidout is a pulpy mess. It is totally unsignable. We couldn't get it out of the container, much less sign it.

Cindy

ihavecats

FREE FOOD! well kinda. If you see somebody in a QCCM shirt thanks them for breakfast and lunch because they helped pay for it with the shirt on thier backs.

In the morning there will be a coffe stop and breakfast in Pullman at the parking for the Brick and web cam. We will be there from about 7:30 to 9ish after that we will be setting up for lunch at ghormly park cache in moscow for lunch. we will be there from 11am to about 2ish after that we will have a drink stand set up farther down the route so see you there.

This looks like so much fun! It's too bad we didn't see it earlier... (we've already promised to go to a CITO event where we live in Eugene, OR) How often do you have "Cache Machine" get-togethers? If you have another one we are so there.

I've been geocaching for a while, but didn't start using the forums until last week; guess I'm going to be paying more attention to the NW forum especially.

We just moved here from Denver and we're so excited at all the fun stuff happening in OR/WA. :laughing:

-Rozie

This looks like so much fun! It's too bad we didn't see it earlier... (we've already promised to go to a CITO event where we live in Eugene, OR) How often do you have "Cache Machine" get-togethers? If you have another one we are so there.

I've been geocaching for a while, but didn't start using the forums until last week; guess I'm going to be paying more attention to the NW forum especially.

We just moved here from Denver and we're so excited at all the fun stuff happening in OR/WA. :laughing:

-Rozie

Click on travisl's name to see his profile, he lists the dates/places of upcoming CM's.

I've posted the final route. To recap important times and places:

1) Pre-event meetup, for any last minute route changes and maybe a call-a-cacher list: Friday, April 17, at 7:30 p.m., in the parking lot of the Inn America, 46.4136°,-117.0021° (702 21st St, Lewiston). Then folks will congregate and eat bad fast food across the street.

2) Start point: GCB0B7 Outfield to Arms, Saturday, April 18, at 5:45 a.m.

3) Coffee stop: GCTY7C Brick, Saturday, April 18, available 7:30 a.m. to 9:00ish

4) Lunch stop: GCGHTR, Ghormley Attraction, Saturday, April 18, available 11:00 a.m. to 1:30ish

5) Dinner: Quad Cities Cache Machine Dinner, Saturday, April 18, 7:30 p.m. at the Wayback Café, 46.40700, -117.0000, (2138 13th Ave, Lewiston). $14.75 per person, including tax and 15% tip. They will have a buffet consisting of Vegetable Lasagna, Baked Chicken, BBQ Boneless Pork Ribs, Hamburger Bar, Macaroni Salad, Potato Salad, Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad, Fruit Salad, Broccoli Salad, Green Salad w/Dressings, Assorted Dinner Rolls, and beverage (Coffee, Hot Tea, Iced Tea, Lemonade or Soft Drink). Milkshakes and adult beverages will be available, for extra cost.

6) Post-event breakfast: Quad Cities clean-up, Sunday, April 19, 8:00 a.m., N 46° 23.468, W 116° 59.394 (IHOP).

Anything new after this will be announced at the pre-event meetup. If you can't make it to the meetup, I'll have a few left to share Saturday morning at waypoint 1.

One update I'll be announcing on Friday night: the insertion of "Peace in the Valley" (GCTKNW), which was disabled until yesterday. It will be the new stop 59½, rerouting "Your Choice" (GCV4YZ) to #60, "I love to fish for..." (GC1MR6D) to #61, and "Sanctuary" (GCC91E) to #62.

This changes the route slightly, as shown below: Turn left on Old Hwy 95 instead of Sather, then...

a298cd62-8f2a-427c-a70e-b2b0ad443447.jpg

Edited by travisl

It's looking like good weather for a cache machine. Current forecast for Saturday is mostly clear, with highs in the mid 60s to lower 70s and lows in the lower to mid 40s.

Driving through the passes should be better than last year, too. Forecast for Friday for the central Cascades: Showers likely. Snow level 5000 feet. Afternoon pass temperatures in the mid 40s. Sunday: Partly cloudy. Freezing level 10500 feet.

(Snoqualmie Pass (I-90) is at 3,022. White Pass (US-12) is 4500, and Stevens (US-2) is at 4,061)

Are you going to give us a new updated link for the pdf file?

Nope. The file's been updated, but the link to the file remains the same.

Some weird things going on with my data this morning....don't know if it's me or what. But, when I click on the link, I still get the old version of the PDF without the changes shown in post #82 above.

Are you going to give us a new updated link for the pdf file?

Nope. The file's been updated, but the link to the file remains the same.

Some weird things going on with my data this morning....don't know if it's me or what. But, when I click on the link, I still get the old version of the PDF without the changes shown in post #82 above.

It looks like the information from post #82 is screen shots directly out of Streets and Trips, not from the PDF document.

It looks like the information from post #82 is screen shots directly out of Streets and Trips, not from the PDF document.

Correct. The linked PDF, marked "Final" on page 1, won't be updated again. Further changes -- including post #82 -- get announced Friday night. This allows for anyone who has to print it early before traveling.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by travisl