Inexpensive (but decent quality) cache box ideas?

peepshow

My brother introduced me to geocaching a few months ago, after going with him several times I just recently started doing it myself.

One thing I cannot stop thinking about is this large and completely unused field near my house where I want to hide my first geocache (I've read up on cache placement policy, and my plans/location are A-ok). The field has plenty of space for a traditional cache. I want a decent sized box with some durability, but I don't want to shell out $20 + shipping online for a high end 'geocaching box'.

Does anybody have suggestions for low price, but reasonable quality boxes that would be suitable for hiding a geocache? I've visited one cache locally that was in a gladware container, but it was falling apart even though it isn't that old, so gladware is out.

Lock'n'Lock containers are good cache containers. Walmart has them and other stores have them. The are reasonably cheap. Of course the holy grail is a ammo box. Any military surplus stores around you? Thank you for not wanting to use sadware containers.

Jim

Yes, how about trying this place?

W B & R Surplus

715 Lander Ave

Turlock, CA 95380

(209) 634-4956‎

You can surely get an ammo can for less than $10, even in California!

I've paid no more than $2 for .30 & .50 call ammo cans for the past 6 years. I can't pass up a good deal and I have about 70+ extras in my garage, half of which are loaded and ready to place.

I haven't paid more than $10 for my cans that are better than twice the size of the large container pictured above in this thread.

Can't get much cheaper than an ammo can for a regular cache.

I tend to use m&m minis containers and diabetic test strip containers for my micro caches whare basically FREE. They don't have much problem keeping logs dry. I've found that when a log gets wet in one of those, it usually finder error in not closing the container until there's a positive snap.

One of those metal cookie tins?

The first cache I found was a cookie tin.

487640_200.jpg

It lasted 4 years before rusting so bad that it needed to be replaced.

Some folks are going to come along later in this thread and totally blast the idea of using those, but I've seen dozens in arid climates in Nevada, California Desert, Arizona, and Southern N.M., that lasted and stayed dry even in their desert monsoon season.

In wet/humid climates like around the Gulf coast they're not such a good idea.

Every container has it's place. Even the hated and reviled film can will keep a log dry if placed in the right way.

I just had a thought: What about 5 gallon buckets? The area I am going to hide it is large, and extremely unused; it would have enough space for a 5 gallon bucket.

Do they provide enough weather protection? Has anybody here seen a cache in a 5 gallon bucket?

The world's first geocache was a bucket. We found a 5-gallon bucket cache that was over 6 years old. It was wet. You can't beat an ammo can for affordability and durability.

I just had a thought: What about 5 gallon buckets? The area I am going to hide it is large, and extremely unused; it would have enough space for a 5 gallon bucket.

Do they provide enough weather protection? Has anybody here seen a cache in a 5 gallon bucket?

The problem with 5 gallon buckets is that when properly closed they are difficult to open.

There is a special lid that you can add on for under $10 that will make them water tight, well at least as long as the previous finder doesn't get the seal too dirty. Gamma seal lid. It has an o-ring around it that seals it to the 5 gallon bucket, it also has a center piece that unscrews and also has a seal in it.

The problem with 5 gallon buckets is that when properly closed they are difficult to open.

This is true. We found one in the desert last fall and my other half tore off one of her fingernails opening the darn thing. They do offer fantastic protection from the elements though and are quite durable.

There's one near a local Walmart, hidden in the weeds. Cachers have been draining the water out of it for months. Five-gallon Bucket It's got two Needs Maintenance notes on it. Doesn't seem to be a great idea.

I've seen dozens in arid climates in Nevada, California Desert, Arizona, and Southern N.M., that lasted and stayed dry even in their desert monsoon season.

I used a metal coffee can with plastic lid once as a "trash cache" that was expected to leak, fall apart, whatever. (part of the cache theme) It lasted for years & never got the least bit wet! Ya just never know.... :D

One of those metal cookie tins?

I was a way stasher, the two most common containers where glass jars an tins.

Here in Michigan the tins rust shut then get bent by people insistent on getting in. If they have been around to long they fall apart when picked up. High maintenance, tins are, unless they are in an arid climate.

peepshow,

I saw a 22 quart Rubber Made cooler for $12.00 at Family Dollar on Thursday. I assume Cali has some equivalent store.

There's one near a local Walmart, hidden in the weeds. Cachers have been draining the water out of it for months. Five-gallon Bucket It's got two Needs Maintenance notes on it. Doesn't seem to be a great idea.

especially in a place where the sprinklers will shooting water from below

Some folks are going to come along later in this thread and totally blast the idea of using those

Ooh, ooh! Pick me! Pick me! :D

(Seriously though, as mentioned, in an arid environment, they'd probably do just fine.)

What part of Kalifornia do you live in, PeepShow?

Every container has it's place. Even the hated and reviled film can will keep a log dry if placed in the right way.

Yup! They work great if you put film in them and stick them in a desk drawer. B)

My vote for a quality container?

If you can find a source, buy a 30cal ammo can. Ain't much better than that. If not, hit Wally World and get a Lock & Lock.

Good luck!

-Sean

There is a special lid that you can add on for under $10 that will make them water tight, well at least as long as the previous finder doesn't get the seal too dirty. Gamma seal lid. It has an o-ring around it that seals it to the 5 gallon bucket, it also has a center piece that unscrews and also has a seal in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Plastics-Vittl...1017&sr=8-2

I think this is the type of lid you are talking about. I've seen this in one cache so far...it was actually hanging in a pine tree, much more fun for the group to find than a film canister!!

We were like 3TF, Weirdest original contents ever. One item was a new in package hair crimping tool!

Generally, if it's good at keeping liquids IN you can depend on it to keep liquids OUT. With that in mind, I like 1/2 gallon coolers from Walmart and Target. They are happy to be rid of them in the winter for $2-4 bucks. Seal the spouts with a glue gun, hit 'em with camo spray, and you've got something beefy for less than the cost of an ammo can.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&am...temNumber=85006

-renzo

Edited by renzotobias