Virtual Idiot

FeetFirst

The-Sledge

This guy is impressive. (not)

Seems to have a fondness for vituals...

Not only did he log completing a 13 mile round-trip with over 4000 ft of elevation gain but he was able to do 201 (and counting or shall I say logging) other virtuals the same day in many different states. Alaska, Arizona Hawaii, Maryland, South Dakota, North Dakota, Connecticut, Iowa, etc. Can you say cheater? (Found it funny that one of the caches is titled "A Great Big Liar")

It is also humorous to note that he became a member on February 26th of 2009 and lists all of his virtuals as backdated to December 31st of 2007.

- Maybe the eyes and hears of Groundspeak will kindly remove such filth from our midst.

The-Sledge

Not only did he log completing a 13 mile round-trip with over 4000 ft of elevation gain but he was able to do 201 (and counting or shall I say logging) other virtuals the same day in many different states. Alaska, Arizona Hawaii, Maryland, South Dakota, North Dakota, Connecticut, Iowa, etc. Can you say cheater? (Found it funny that one of the caches is titled "A Great Big Liar")

It is also humorous to note that he became a member on February 26th of 2009 and lists all of his virtuals as backdated to December 31st of 2007.

- Maybe the eyes and hears of Groundspeak will kindly remove such filth from our midst.

I had two AZ virtuals on my watchlist, and figured out he was a fake also. Give it a minute, and the "anything goes as long as it doesn't bother you crowd," will chime in, and tell you to MYOB. :D

The-Sledge

Yes, the penchant for virtuals only is notable!

Hmmm.

Perhaps they actually meant to bookmark them.

[Perhaps they actually meant to bookmark them.

Or perhaps not.

This is an automated message from Geocaching

You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit the web site to change your

watchlist settings.

The-Sledge found Warthog Down (Virtual Cache) at 12/31/2007

Log Date: 12/31/2007

TFTC. Email sent.

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...77-efedeefeefa3

Visit Virtual Cache

Warthog Down

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f6-61a36b3e5271

Profile for The-Sledge:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=a0...21-fe144716fde1

Oh, I forgot. Let me run through the responses to this post that you will receive:

"How does this take away from your enjoyment of the sport?"

"What if it's a disabled person?"

"How can you cheat at a game where there are no winners?"

"He is only cheating himself"

"If the caches don't say on the page that you need to visit them, then it's OK"

"Maybe you need to worry more about _____ (fill in the blank....world hunger, the economy, war, curing cancer, etc... )

"I checked your profile and what about the find you claimed for....?"

Oh, I forgot. Let me run through the responses to this post that you will receive:

"Maybe you need to worry more about _____ (fill in the blank....world hunger, the economy, war, curing cancer, etc... )

:D Don't forget the oldie but goodie, "How does this affect you?"

I didn't go look and i may be missing something, but is it possible that he had another geocaching name and has just recently changed it? Maybe he actually found those awhile back and is logging them now to show under his new name.. :D

Then why only virts?

Why go through the trouble to date them all the same date? When I first looked some had been logged today, some several years ago. Now it seems that the ones from today have been changed too. I'm guessing so the log is buried down far enough to not be noticable.

I should point out that this person is not armchair logging virtuals whose anwers were found on the internet (an alternative game that some play) but is simply cutting a pasting a log into many virtuals that are rarely found and back dating the log perhaps in hope that many people won't notice them. Almost cleaver but he should have also looked for one with no watchers. I don't know what point he is trying to make. Perhaps it a test to see how many cache owners will delete his log or just trying so see how many he gets before GC.com locks his account. And GC.com will lock this account and may even delete the logs.

I'm offended by the implication that some people are making that you will see a bunch of people defending this practices. I'll venture that no one will defend it. It seems to be a clear violation of the TOU since this person is logging at a rate that TPTB may consider a placing a disproportionate load on the system. As such I'm fairly confident that TPTB will stop this. If they don't however, I will say that this persons logs should no way interfere with the logs of those people who actually did or plan on doing any of the these virtual caches. And the inconvenience to the cache owners who choose to delete his logs should be minimal. As such, while I don't condone what he has done - although I still hope TBTP lock this account - I am not going to be outraged by it.

Perhaps it a test to see how many cache owners will delete his log or just trying so see how many he gets before GC.com locks his account. And GC.com will lock this account and may even delete the logs.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Log all these obviously fake finds, never even actually emailing the answer, and wait and see if his/her log gets deleted, or at least questioned. If there is no reaction from the cache owner, the claim could be made that the owner is not properly maintaining the cache and it gets archived.

If virtual logging of trackables is grounds for having a travelbug/geocoin locked because it's considered an abuse of the service, shouldn't the same apply to someone who is doing the same principle with logging cache finds?

Hmmm... well... since you asked, here is my opinion on the matter:

To me, this person is simply following their heart and following their own path to self-realization and self-actualization, and it seems that logging a lot of virtuals via the armchair method is part of the path to their self-actualization, and so I honor their path in life and I celebrate it.

At the most, this person may simply be a poor deluded victim of their earlier life experiences, and thus we should celebrate their victim-hood and we should also give this person special consideration because they are obviously a victim.

Are you trying to tell me that there is something wrong with this practice of virtual finds? Most of my finds on both real caches and virtual caches are armchair finds, and this is fine with me; it is what God and The Voices in My Head asked me to do. Are you now trying to tell me that there is something wrong with this? How very strange! Who would have known?

Why must you impose your horrid old-fashioned ultra-right wing fundamentalist fascist views about how caches must be logged on this finder? How does his way of doing things take away from your enjoyment of the sport?

What if it's a person without the time or money to fly to all these places and then spend all that stupid time in hiking to these spots? Surely you would not wish to deprive them of their right to claim finds on all of these caches, would you?

Everything is relative, anyway. How can we know for sure what is right and what is wrong?

How can you cheat at a game where there are no winners?

At the most, this poor victim of life's circumstances is only cheating her/himself! So, we should celebrate and honor their actions, not criticize them!

If the caches don't say on the page that you need to visit them, then it's OK!

Maybe you need to worry more about global warming and your carbon footprint, rather than picking on some poor cacher who is simply doing her or his best!

At least this person did not rack up a big carbon footprint, and thus a big carbon deficit, in using fossil fuels to visit these cache sites in person, and rather, they found a method to log these caches which is largely carbon neutral and also NOX neutral. We should celebrate and honor this person!

:):D:D:grin:

:)

:cry::(;):cry:

If virtual logging of trackables is grounds for having a travelbug/geocoin locked because it's considered an abuse of the service, shouldn't the same apply to someone who is doing the same principle with logging cache finds?

It takes an extreme case, but ask this guy. There was once almost 2,000 finds there.

Hey, nice feet. :D

It takes an extreme case, but ask this guy. There was once almost 2,000 finds there.

Hey, nice feet. :D

Of all the recent hoaxsters, this one was, at its peak, one of my favorites! Amazing!

To me, this person is simply following their heart and following their own path to self-realization and self-actualization, and it seems that logging a lot of virtuals via the armchair method is part of the path to their self-actualization, and so I honor their path in life and I celebrate it.

At the most, this person may simply be a poor deluded victim of their earlier life experiences, and thus we should celebrate their victim-hood and we should also give this person special consideration because they are obviously a victim.

Are you trying to tell me that there is something wrong with this practice of virtual finds? Most of my finds on both real caches and virtual caches are armchair finds, and this is fine with me; it is what God and The Voices in My Head asked me to do. Are you now trying to tell me that there is something wrong with this? How very strange! Who would have known?

Why must you impose your horrid old-fashioned ultra-right wing fundamentalist fascist views about how caches must be logged on this finder? How does his way of doing things take away from your enjoyment of the sport?

What if it's a person without the time or money to fly to all these places and then spend all that stupid time in hiking to these spots? Surely you would not wish to deprive them of their right to claim finds on all of these caches, would you?

Everything is relative, anyway. How can we know for sure what is right and what is wrong?

At the most, this poor victim of life's circumstances is only cheating her/himself! So, we should celebrate and honor their actions, not criticize them!

Maybe you need to worry more about global warming and your carbon footprint, rather than picking on some poor cacher who is simply doing her or his best!

At least this person did not rack up a big carbon footprint, and thus a big carbon deficit, in using fossil fuels to visit these cache sites in person, and rather, they found a method to log these caches which is largely carbon neutral and also NOX neutral. We should celebrate and honor this person!

:):D:D:grin:

:cry::(;):cry:

What...no mention of the occult???

Vinny, you feeling ok???

Strangely... A song came on while reading... I changed it...

o/~ Don't wanna be a virtual idiot o/~

dah dah dah dah da da dah daaah dah dah.

OK, I'll shut up now. Dogs are howling. :D

Can anyone name this song? dah dah dah daah dah dah dah

Um, Lemmie think... Can I get one more dah?

( Ok, Mine was American Idiot by green Day if that's what you was hinting at... Didn't think of it. I suck! )

I bet i know the reasoning behind this - The lack of being able to search archived caches. Recently our province lost about 70% of our virtuals because they no longer were friendly with guidelines.

Bookmarks wouldn't hold more then a few hundred. The only way you could find them is to look through other caches finds to see if you could find them..

This guy is a clever and unfortunate necessity, lol :D

As in the MrGigabyte drama from '02, I hope that the cache owners will take a look at each log and judge whether the individual actually found their cache (to the owners satisfaction). If not, they should delete the finds.

Beyond that, I give this issue a big shrug.

As I was reading this thread for the first time just now I'd already decided what my reply would be before BrianSnat's first snarky reply. It's pretty much what Sbell has already said.

If the guy logged any on my caches, and I knew they were bogus, I'd definitely delete them. Other than that I'm not bothered by it.

The list of expected replies given tells me quite a lot about the people posting them.

Virtual Cache and Webcam Cache Maintenance Guidelines

The cache owner will assume all responsibility for their cache listings.

Although the cache is not something you physically maintain, you must maintain your cache's web page and respond to inquiries. In the case of Virtual Caches and Webcam Caches you must periodically check the physical location. You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache.

You should also return to the Geocaching.com web site at least once a month to show you are still active. Caches posted and "abandoned" may be archived by the site.

The owner will assume the responsibility of quality control of logged "finds" for the cache, and will agree to delete any "find" logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive the listing. Grandfathered caches may not be unarchived.

I would say leave it to the Cache Owners to settle this one...if the Higher-Ups get involved...I would bet there are going to be a couple disabled (and eventually archived) virtual caches...sadly, with a lot of the Grandfathered caches, one person's actions usually do have a negative effect on others...

Keep in mind, I am not saying "Why bother, it doesn't effect me..."...but I don't think Groundspeak should get involved with the logs...they can do what they want to the person/account...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

:blink::huh::D:o

B)

:):):P:P

While many were struck by the fact that Vinny made no mention of the occult or invisible hands, I was stuck by the similarity of Vinny's post and Briansnat's post. I believe that the occult hand reached down and switched their personalities around temporarily, causing Vinny to channel Briansnat's post subconsciously. That, or one of 'em's a well hidden sock puppet... :blink::D:o:P

In fact, if you highlight Vinny's post, you'll be frightened to see the same exact wording in both posts... :ph34r:

I bet i know the reasoning behind this - The lack of being able to search archived caches. Recently our province lost about 70% of our virtuals because they no longer were friendly with guidelines.

Bookmarks wouldn't hold more then a few hundred. The only way you could find them is to look through other caches finds to see if you could find them..

This guy is a clever and unfortunate necessity, lol :D

If they're just using a sockpuppet account to track virtuals, couldn't they just post notes instead of finds? With notes, it's likely no one would have even noticed, or bothered/cared to research it further.

Well, one a more serious note for a second, I am glad to see that the idiot was banned. However, I must note that I am fascinated at how these fraudulent find accounts emerge with such maddening regularity; it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and moved the players like pawns upon some giant chessboard.

For a moment there, you had me worried about you, Vinny. But I'm glad to see you're back to your abnormal self :D

Well, one a more serious note for a second, I am glad to see that the idiot was banned. However, I must note that I am fascinated at how these fraudulent find accounts emerge with such maddening regularity; it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and moved the players like pawns upon some giant chessboard.

For a moment there, you had me worried about you, Vinny. But I'm glad to see you're back to your abnormal self :D

Well, what is also rather amusing and rather fascinating about each and every one of these fake-find loggers is that ultimately, the accounts, and often the finds as well, seem to disappear from the site. In fact, it would appear to an outside observer as if they had disappeared into the void.

For a moment there, you had me worried about you, Vinny. But I'm glad to see you're back to your abnormal self B)

Well, what is also rather amusing and rather fascinating about each and every one of these fake-find loggers is that ultimately, the accounts, and often the finds as well, seem to disappear from the site. In fact, it would appear to an outside observer as if they had disappeared into the void.

Kinda like an occult hand reaching down to swat them from the giant chessboard. :D:D

For a moment there, you had me worried about you, Vinny. But I'm glad to see you're back to your abnormal self B)

Kinda like an occult hand reaching down to swat them from the giant chessboard. :D:D

Yeah......that.

Or was it................................................. ALIEN ABDUCTION???????????////

(where's the button that makes the letters shake & shudder?)

~*

This guy did about the same thing but then changed his name & started over saying he'd learned from his mistakes. He just went back & re-logged most of the same caches he hadn't found on the first account plus some he actually hid & gave up for adoption. He logged one of mine twice but he's never been to it.

I don't get some people.

Thanks for the tales and the links! I always enjoy reading such tales and visiting the profile pages of these folks! I find them and their antics quite hilarious! Of course, someone could point out what that says about me, that I am so entertained by the mindless buffoonery of others! :DB):D

Man, I was hoping to send him/her a big congrates on their accomplishment's. B) Too late. :D

I've thought of that before....sending someone heaps of accolades so sickeningly sweet & overbearing that there'll be no mistaking it for "real", just to let 'em know someone's onto them & their shenanigans. In the one case where I actually started composing, I decided on the other hand they're prolly too stoopid to interpret it as intended.

Maybe that's what we need to start doin' round here - get a volunteer committee to avalance some of these characters with love -- maybe 'guilt' 'em into changin' their ways? Form letter?

~*

This guy did about the same thing but then changed his name & started over saying he'd learned from his mistakes. He just went back & re-logged most of the same caches he hadn't found on the first account plus some he actually hid & gave up for adoption. He logged one of mine twice but he's never been to it.

I don't get some people.

Thanks for the tales and the links! I always enjoy reading such tales and visiting the profile pages of these folks! I find them and their antics quite hilarious! Of course, someone could point out what that says about me, that I am so entertained by the mindless buffoonery of others! :DB):D

What comes to my mind is "Peas In A Pod" :blink:

Virtual Idiot

When I saw the title, I assumed I had finally gotten a thread dedicated to me, the ultimate computer illiterate. :o

I'm offended by the implication that some people are making that you will see a bunch of people defending this practices.

I was actually waiting for those implications. Somehow, some folks are able to equate people practicing intentional deception with others having different definitions of what constitutes a find. Sad, but predictable.