Inflating number of finds by dropping of bugs!

vacacher

What is the right way to record the drop of a TB without artificially inflating one's "caches found" stats? My stats show 117 finds, but many of them are from TB drops when I bring bugs back from vacation and have to log a cache find to drop the bug in a cache I have logged repeated before.

When I go directly to "Trackables" to log the bug, all I see is option to log a grab, but none for a drop. I to drop the TB without logging a find of the cache. How do I do this?

Can't help but think there is something I have been missing for the 4 years I have been caching cause now I have inflated total of finds.

Thanks,

Even quicker than editing them from finds to notes, you can simply delete them. This will not affect the TB movements.

Does that hold true if the bug owner uses the Recalculate Distance function?

Yes, I am notorious for forgetting to drop coin/TBs with my "Found it" logs. More times than not, I have to add a note, and I always delete the note instantly. I have never noticed a problem. It is common in this area to always delete the TB Drop notes on events so the pages don't get cluttered. The TBs always show that they have attended the events, with the accumulated mileage.

Correct, cache log deletions do not affect the TB logs.

Thanks, learn something new every day. I've been logging notes when dropping a TB or coin at a cache I found previously, good to know that I can delete that without affecting the TB log.

I've been waiting for Vinny to start another of his "outraged" posts, but maybe a mod finally clocked him with a brick...

As you have been 'tutoring' some of us who like to occasionally track missing bugs for whatever reasons...

IF drop notes are deleted, does that not remove the online record of placement for tracing purposes???

I suppose one could depend on the next pickup, but it makes it a bit harder to backtrack doesn't it?

I can see that your pickup/ drop would be in the cache log (hopefully). I am probably not thinking very clear tonite... been digging out of another dump of snow... hopefully the last one of the winter.. ha ha.

Anyway, both cache and TB logs should have a brief record of the took / left transaction... IMHO.

Doug

As you have been 'tutoring' some of us who like to occasionally track missing bugs for whatever reasons...

IF drop notes are deleted, does that not remove the online record of placement for tracing purposes???

I suppose one could depend on the next pickup, but it makes it a bit harder to backtrack doesn't it?

I can see that your pickup/ drop would be in the cache log (hopefully). I am probably not thinking very clear tonite... been digging out of another dump of snow... hopefully the last one of the winter.. ha ha.

Anyway, both cache and TB logs should have a brief record of the took / left transaction... IMHO.

Doug

I delete bug drops. It does nothing to the bug. It just keeps the cache/event page clean. I hate reading event logs and sifting through all the bug drops.

I usually have fun with my drop/delete messages to give a chuckle to the cache owner and any who are watching the page. :D

Doug

People here are talking about two different logs. When you place a travel bug in a cache you have to make a log entry on the cache page then select the bug you want to drop to have that bug associated with that cache. When you do this two logs are created. One in the cache page and one in the travel bug page. Deleting the log you made in the cache page has no affect on the log in the travel bug page.

Doug

People here are talking about two different logs. When you place a travel bug in a cache you have to make a log entry on the cache page then select the bug you want to drop to have that bug associated with that cache. When you do this two logs are created. One in the cache page and one in the travel bug page. Deleting the log you made in the cache page has no affect on the log in the travel bug page.

Exactly.

Sometimes you'll see a Found it log with great details of an adventure and then you'll see a follow-up Note that'll say 'Oops, forgot to Drop bug.' That Note doesn't have to remain on the cache page for the bug to track correctly. Everything on the bug page still shows all the Drops and Retrieves.

Exactly.

Sometimes you'll see a Found it log with great details of an adventure and then you'll see a follow-up Note that'll say 'Oops, forgot to Drop bug.' That Note doesn't have to remain on the cache page for the bug to track correctly. Everything on the bug page still shows all the Drops and Retrieves.

I'm a little less foggy today... I know the difference... I guess it makes a difference IF the note was an oops and the drop was mentioned in the Find log but not executed in reality... I do like the Took and Left notes to be there... whether swag or trackables. Thanks for the answer and putting up with a fuzzy question.

Doug