Home Grown Gizmos for Geocaching

Headhardhat

During peak tick season I always have a roll of cellophane tape (e.g. Scotch). The tape works great for grabbing the ticks off my clothes, and I can count how many I nabbed at the end of the hike. :wacko:
I always carry a Tick Spoon. Once again, Google fails me in this thread. Google images returns pictures of The Tick shouting his war-cry...

The_Tick_by_GraphicBrat_by_GraphicBrat.jpg

...but I'm talking about one of these:

ticktool.jpg

It pops those embedded ticks off like nothing! Linky

Oh, I'm sure others have noticed already, but even up here in NH, we've already got ticks out. Snow's not even gone yet... :mellow:

Edited by Too Tall John

I found my telescoping mirror at the local auto supply store.. pep boys, auto zone, etc.. should have them.

I have a few great gizmos, many of which have already been mentioned. BUT, nothing works better to keep heads from turning my way way in a crowded parking lot than my safety vest, hard hat, and the following magnetic signs which are prominitely displayed on my white pickup (looks like a work truck):

proof2.png

I... I must... I need... OMG THIS IS AWESOME!!!

*hehe* sorry, couldn't contain myself.

I think I'll copy this, is that ok?

buttout.jpg

For those pesky microbes:

Butt Out® Big Geocache Retrieval Tool

Proper care of geocaches in the field is essential to having a quality geocache experience. With the Butt Out® Big Geocache Retreival Tool, cachers can quickly and easily remove the anal alimentary canal on deer and deer-sized game.

At the start of the field dressing process, the tool should be inserted to the handle into the deer’s anal cavity, then turn it approximately 1-1/2 turns and use the handle to pull out a 10-inch section of the deer’s intestine, which can then be cut off. Then the rest of the retrieval job can be done quickly.

The Butt Out® is light and compact; making it easy to carry in the field and it can be easily cleaned and disinfected for re-use.

We take our dog. We use him as a decoy. "Why else would we be loitering around these bushes?" Also we take a first aid kit. Sorry to report, I had to use it the other week. Slid down a muddy slope and puntured my hand on a felled tree. Good news is we finished finding the caches before I went to the hospital and had four stitches put in my hand.

I've already posted a couple pix of my 'one indispensible & ever-present' cross-lock tweezers. A mini-Leatherman's always in my pocket, even when not caching; as is my 2" 'Bullet' Fisher Space Pen in the watch-pocket.....& while not indispensible, another couple of very handy items include the break-down 20' "reaching pole" I fashioned from 1.25" conduit (3x 7' sections velcro-banded together in the back of the Blazer) & these 2, which get considerable usage:

~30" telescoping magnet.........& 2" 'snake' mirror (so-named for more'n 1 reason!!)

95933.gif97217.gif

~*

Where did you find the snake mirror? I've been trying to find a telescoping one, but this looks even handier!

Sorry F&H - I didn't see your inquiry 'til just now.

Harbor Freight Tools....got one nearby?

Here's a PA stores listing: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf#PA

Or you can order by web.

And the item....only ~$3:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=97217

And the telescoping one, only $2 if you still want:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=7361

I got the telescoping magnet (like it cuz it has the 'antimagnetic' shielding around the mag-tip....keeps it from getting 'distracted' when reaching past other metallic objects), plus it's the longest one I've found) from an Auto Zone ~$4. But last time I's in HFT they had a knockoff; can't remem price but it'll be low.

There ya go!

~*

The question is: What tip, trick or homemade gizmo do you use that is an absolute must while geocaching?

I always carry some of my signature items to trade or just leave in a cache. I make my own pin/buttons with geocaching.com or geo on them. I also make little wooden games and puzzles. People seem to enjoy finding them because they are fun and unique.

We usually take a Smith and Wesson model 6906 9mm semi auto with us. It's light, compact and holds 13 rounds. We don't do many urban caches and it calms the nerves when we see cougar tracks deep in the woods.

Well, here in NY that sort of thing calms the nerves when doing urban caches too! :D I prefer a small .380 though, easier to conceal, which is required here. No visible carry allowed. :sad:

-K

During peak tick season I always have a roll of cellophane tape (e.g. Scotch). The tape works great for grabbing the ticks off my clothes, and I can count how many I nabbed at the end of the hike. :D

I'll have to try that. This past hike in Toro Park yielded two bites and innumerable crawlers. Ughh!

Referred to as a "towel" in the HitchHikers Guide. But should be in the Geocaching Guide as well.

2-$1 Bandanas

One for use as a cover-up to hide the GPSr or cache container from muggle eyes, makeshift water bottle carrier, cache location/trail marker, container and swag dryer, dirt remover, and many, many other uses one doesn't know until you need it.

The second, hopefully clean, to stem the flow of blood. Stuff happens.

Sample subpoenas.

They give me a reason for skulking around places that are not ordinarily skulked around. I can explain that I am looking for so-and-so. After that, people generally leave me alone ... and when they don't I ask their name as I look through my stack of subpoenas.

;) Love this one!!

The question is: What tip, trick or homemade gizmo do you use that is an absolute must while geocaching?

I'm not talking basics like a gps, gloves or batteries. I'm talking that special thingie you keep tucked in your backpack or pouch that you keep with you at all times.

Among a lot of other things.. :anitongue:

These two are usually Always with me:

Swiss Army Knife:

SA-Knife01.jpg

Always a good tool to have.

Simple Punch and Roll tool:

GeoTool01.jpg

Helps getting nano-logs out and back in.

Does a Glock + 2 mags count as special tools?? :):lol:

Edited by wkmccall

cellsensor1.jpg

CellSensor EMF Detection Meter - made to detect cell phone radiation and electromagnetic fields but can be used to locate those tiny little magnetic nanos. Shhhhh don't tell

Thats tooooo cool :sad: Just ordered one though Amazon.com. Thanks!! :D

Just an update..... I just used my EMF Detection Meter to help me find a magnetic cache that I didn't find on my 1st trip out to it :lol:

P20143A.jpg

If anyone else is interested in having a set of the magnetic signs made, I did up a master in Illustrator. PM me if you want a copy. For those without access to Illustrator, I am willing to customize a copy for you to take to your sign maker. PM me with the desired handle, member # and phone number.

The Handle goes under the Geocaching logo

The Member number, along with "G" and the year, make up the "license number"

The phone number on this one is a local payphone.

MagSign_sm.jpg

-Gryffyth

I found my telescoping mirror at the local auto supply store.. pep boys, auto zone, etc.. should have them.

I have a few great gizmos, many of which have already been mentioned. BUT, nothing works better to keep heads from turning my way way in a crowded parking lot than my safety vest, hard hat, and the following magnetic signs which are prominitely displayed on my white pickup (looks like a work truck):

That is truly brilliant. On Monday, I'm going to the magnetic sign shop. I may also have company t-shirts printed. (I'll remember to put a local telephone number on it.)

Glad you appreciate my warped sense of humor. It actually works great as other geocachers get it right away and usually we will start a conversation, but the average muggle is clueless.

The phone number on mine is for time/temp/weather in Charleston, WV.

Edited to remove pic.

Edited by kraushad

I... I must... I need... OMG THIS IS AWESOME!!!

*hehe* sorry, couldn't contain myself.

I think I'll copy this, is that ok?

Absolutely,

I have been wanting to open a franchise in SoCal for a few minutes now... :lol: Enjoy!

Edited to remove pic.

Edited by kraushad

If anyone else is interested in having a set of the magnetic signs made, I did up a master in Illustrator. PM me if you want a copy. For those without access to Illustrator, I am willing to customize a copy for you to take to your sign maker. PM me with the desired handle, member # and phone number.

The Handle goes under the Geocaching logo

The Member number, along with "G" and the year, make up the "license number"

The phone number on this one is a local payphone.

MagSign_sm.jpg

-Gryffyth

TOO FUNNY Gryffyth!! :lol::sad:

I am flattered. I guess I am now a national company! I can't wait until the day when I run into someone else who works for my company. That will really make me laugh myself to death if it ever happens. This is too good.

For the record, I ordered mine off the net... here is a link to the the website. They were about $70 for the set of two (yes, I am an idiot). I ordered 12"x24" and had them within about 10 days.

http://www.buildasign.com/MagneticSigns

Edited by kraushad

Vista print for inexpensive signs. On the right side of the page you can upload a custom design. Base price for a PAIR of signs is $20. Last time I ordered business cards with a custom design there was no extra fee. Of course, YMMV.

http://www.vistaprint.com/car-door-magnets...v=designmethods

BTW Illustrator files need to be in .ai format. They also take .pdf, .psd, and high res jpg (300dpi) among other types.

Edited by hofy67

TOO FUNNY Gryffyth!! :unsure::ph34r:

I am flattered. I guess I am now a national company! I can't wait until the day when I run into someone else who works for my company. That will really make me laugh myself to death if it ever happens. This is too good.

For the record, I ordered mine off the net... here is a link to the the website. They were about $70 for the set of two (yes, I am an idiot). I ordered 12"x24" and had them within about 10 days.

Glad you liked it! I couldn't quite match the font you used on the "Let us find it for you" line, but I got it close. :P I priced around locally and got quoted $100-$125 everywhere I went. I'll have to check out the Build-A-Sign site.

-Gryffyth

TOO FUNNY Gryffyth!! :unsure::ph34r:

Glad you liked it! I couldn't quite match the font you used on the "Let us find it for you" line, but I got it close. :P I priced around locally and got quoted $100-$125 everywhere I went. I'll have to check out the Build-A-Sign site.

-Gryffyth

Now you've got me thinking:

SURPLUS CONTAINER CORPORATION

Location and Contents Exchange Services Division

[LOGO] picture of cammoed ammo can and pbj jar[/LOGO]

Edited by andynshe

The idea for a safety vest, hard hat, and magnetic signs are SUPERIOR!!!! There is a cache hidden close by on the walkway along a bridge that has a lot of traffic.....

Around here, due to the gummint messing with everything, the highway department and other utilities and police/sheriff's are now wearing the flourescent green vests and jackets.

They might be better than the old orange/red vests since you never see them around....camo camo camo is the word of the day... :rolleyes:

And for the telephone number how about 1-800-GEO-CACHE?? But of course, it is already taken...so don't use that!!!! :D

The idea for a safety vest, hard hat, and magnetic signs are SUPERIOR!!!! There is a cache hidden close by on the walkway along a bridge that has a lot of traffic.....

Personally, I would much rather be questioned by the LEOs while wearing my normal caching clothes than to have to explain not only geocaching, but why I'm impersonating a construction worker or engineer as well.

For those 10 mile round trip day hikes I put a piece of extreme velcro on my backpack strap and on the back of my GPS. It keeps it locked on to the satelites as well as a quick grab to check my location. My GPS has only fallen off twice using the extreme velcro and that was a nice 15 foot icy slide down a steep bank and another time when I was arse over tea kettles rolling down a hill. Good thing that bounce off the tree slowed me down enough to stop or I would have slid the extra foot to the bottom.

Someone wrote to me how she used a bobby pin to roll nano logs quickly. I would imagine you would need to take off the ends so it doesn't grip the paper when tight but has anybody else used that?

-HHH :)

That is exactly what I am planning to use. The wife will donate one, I'll take it down to my woodworking shop and fashion a small handle on the end. If it turns out well I will make a big batch of them and leave them as swag.

Someone wrote to me how she used a bobby pin to roll nano logs quickly. I would imagine you would need to take off the ends so it doesn't grip the paper when tight but has anybody else used that?

-HHH :D

That is exactly what I am planning to use. The wife will donate one, I'll take it down to my woodworking shop and fashion a small handle on the end. If it turns out well I will make a big batch of them and leave them as swag.

I've made the same basic item out of paper clips. Nice to have with you when you're having a all thumbs day :)

During peak tick season I always have a roll of cellophane tape (e.g. Scotch). The tape works great for grabbing the ticks off my clothes, and I can count how many I nabbed at the end of the hike. :D
I always carry a Tick Spoon. Once again, Google fails me in this thread. Google images returns pictures of The Tick shouting his war-cry...

The_Tick_by_GraphicBrat_by_GraphicBrat.jpg

...but I'm talking about one of these:

ticktool.jpg

It pops those embedded ticks off like nothing! Linky

Oh, I'm sure others have noticed already, but even up here in NH, we've already got ticks out. Snow's not even gone yet... :)

I just ordered 2. Thanks for the link.

P.S. they are having a summer special, buy 1, get 1 free.

I like the General Tools & Instruments Co. 2" x 3" Rectangular Telescoping Mirror. It has a Lexan mirror (won't break) and it's much lighter than the other telescoping/snake mirrors I've seen. It's also more compact.

:

759570L.jpg

I carry several other TOTT (most of which have already been mentioned) but if I had to pick one and only one, it would be the mirror. Of course that assumes that my GPSr and Fischer Telescoping Space Pen are included by default. :)

Pete