Home Grown Gizmos for Geocaching

Headhardhat

I am compiling a list to be published on my blog. If you would like your name not included please state in your post but I like giving credit where credit is due. :D

The question is: What tip, trick or homemade gizmo do you use that is an absolute must while geocaching?

I'm not talking basics like a gps, gloves or batteries. I'm talking that special thingie you keep tucked in your backpack or pouch that you keep with you at all times.

For example, a safety pin to get logs out of nanos or a plastic fork to easily take prickley burs out of your clothes. That sort of thing. All suggestions will go into the list and I will let you know when it goes out.

Thanks as always,

-HHH B)

I've already posted a couple pix of my 'one indispensible & ever-present' cross-lock tweezers. A mini-Leatherman's always in my pocket, even when not caching; as is my 2" 'Bullet' Fisher Space Pen in the watch-pocket.....& while not indispensible, another couple of very handy items include the break-down 20' "reaching pole" I fashioned from 1.25" conduit (3x 7' sections velcro-banded together in the back of the Blazer) & these 2, which get considerable usage:

~30" telescoping magnet.........& 2" 'snake' mirror (so-named for more'n 1 reason!!)

95933.gif97217.gif

~*

...And I thought it was an olive grabber...silly me. :D
Yeah, well, knowing that if I didn't post an image, I was going to get comments like what Star*Hopper is alluding to, I did a Google Image search. That was the best representation I found. Blame Google! :D:)

Ditto Star Hopper & Y2KOTA, plus a Pickle Grabber.

UT-93195.jpg

BOY am I ever glad you posted an explanatory picture for that one!!!!11
Me too... :)

After all, without the pic, someone was going to think I was talking about something like this:

DSCN6484_001.JPG

Edited by Too Tall John

2-$1 Bandanas

One for use as a cover-up to hide the GPSr or cache container from muggle eyes, makeshift water bottle carrier, cache location/trail marker, container and swag dryer, dirt remover, and many, many other uses one doesn't know until you need it.

The second, hopefully clean, to stem the flow of blood. Stuff happens.

Sample subpoenas.

They give me a reason for skulking around places that are not ordinarily skulked around. I can explain that I am looking for so-and-so. After that, people generally leave me alone ... and when they don't I ask their name as I look through my stack of subpoenas.

Dang! I wish I'd thought of this. I'm stealing this idea. :D

Sample subpoenas.

They give me a reason for skulking around places that are not ordinarily skulked around. I can explain that I am looking for so-and-so. After that, people generally leave me alone ... and when they don't I ask their name as I look through my stack of subpoenas.

I like that one!!!!!!11 Got a few extra samples I could borrow?

Oh.....never mind. I'll just get a few of Vinny's - he's no doubt got lots. & I'll bet he'll even toss in some bonus restraining orders.

~*

Sample subpoenas.

Oh.....never mind. I'll just get a few of Vinny's - he's no doubt got lots. & I'll bet he'll even toss in some bonus restraining orders.

~*

Sample Subpoena

And instructions for serving it

Isn't the internet wonderful!?

When I first started folks mentioned carrying a clipboard to "look official" so as to ward off muggle attention. That sounded good but I use something a little smaller and more convenient. It's a small spiral bound pocket notebook. You can flip it open and lay the GPS over or under it if need be. It cammos the GPS hand well.

..... I use something a little smaller and more convenient. It's a small spiral bound pocket notebook. You can flip it open and lay the GPS over or under it if need be. It cammos the GPS hand well.

Now, there's an advantage of a smaller GPSr like my "Ol' Blue" Garmin -- no need to hide. I've used it to "take photos" more'n I've used an actual camera. And not to mention, the "cellphone calls" I've made on it!!

More problems grabbing & then putting back 35mm cans in heavy muggle areas....but I've about perfected my "accidental pen drop" & "shoe needs tying" moves. :D

~*

When I first started folks mentioned carrying a clipboard to "look official" so as to ward off muggle attention. That sounded good but I use something a little smaller and more convenient. It's a small spiral bound pocket notebook. You can flip it open and lay the GPS over or under it if need be. It cammos the GPS hand well.

I have used this one many times. I always have a mini-composition book in the van for notes while driving too. Now that I came across one really cheap, I have started to carry an orange vest and a hard hat just in case I need to look even more 'official' than just the clipboard.

i have a bag that always goes with me. is has a small led flash light, cammo duck tape, extra blank logs, my travel log book, empty cache containers, spool of green flower arrangement wire, band-aids, leather man tool camera, batteries, and i took an old solar light and stripped it down to just the battery housing and the solar panels. (i can leave it on the dash or take it with me. i used it during a week long hike thru yosimite and only took 6 rechargeable batteries. it keep my cam and gps going the whole time i was there.) there is also some baby wipes for cleaning muddy sappy or what ever hands and cleaning wounds.

I do this too. Mine's a small black book, though. It goes well with my fancy fountain pen. I like the versatility. From Banks to Cemetaries, people can imagine you're doing whatever it is appropriate to do in those places.

Sample subpoenas.

~*

It does not bother me one bit that I seem to get served with about five or six subpoenas and restraining orders each day. What DOES bother me slightly is that most of them originated with Groundspeak, and many of them demand that I stay at least 1,000 feet away from Signal the Frog.

Sheesh! How, and why, does this happen to me? I don't get it! And these subpoenas come from many jurisdictions, and worse, the restraining orders come from a number of different countries. It is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and moved the players like pawns upon some giant chessboard.

Great thread.

Here is my "secret" gizmo...a mini fine point sharpie attached to the base of my GPSr. Great to prevent those run-back-to-car moments. Thanks to laineybug here in NC for the idea and the attachment device.

Note also the lid of the new $20 Inka pen I bought from REI to replace the sharpie..yes, i lost the actual pen the first day caching. Argh.

n1072688838_363898_6309052.jpg

I have a new "gizmo" in my bag :antenna: A soft-bristle toothbrush! It's fantastic for cleaning the seals and edges of containers. Has a great reach into tiny corners and quickly cleans away mud, leaves, sand, etc. to ensure a good clean seal when closing up that container. I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier. :D

That's a great idea!!! :antenna: I'm adding that one to my bag! :blink:

Sample subpoenas.

Hah! Ossim :laughing:

CellSensor EMF Detection Meter - made to detect cell phone radiation and electromagnetic fields but can be used to locate those tiny little magnetic nanos. Shhhhh don't tell

I carry a compass for that. I have also heard you can use a compass to tell which direction you are going. I use a Lensatic Compass with a magnetic bearing to site at a cache:

715563.jpg

I've already posted a couple pix of my 'one indispensible & ever-present' cross-lock tweezers. A mini-Leatherman's always in my pocket, even when not caching; as is my 2" 'Bullet' Fisher Space Pen in the watch-pocket.....& while not indispensible, another couple of very handy items include the break-down 20' "reaching pole" I fashioned from 1.25" conduit (3x 7' sections velcro-banded together in the back of the Blazer) & these 2, which get considerable usage:

~30" telescoping magnet.........& 2" 'snake' mirror (so-named for more'n 1 reason!!)

95933.gif97217.gif

~*

Where did you find the snake mirror? I've been trying to find a telescoping one, but this looks even handier!

I found my telescoping mirror at the local auto supply store.. pep boys, auto zone, etc.. should have them.

I have a few great gizmos, many of which have already been mentioned. BUT, nothing works better to keep heads from turning my way way in a crowded parking lot than my safety vest, hard hat, and the following magnetic signs which are prominitely displayed on my white pickup (looks like a work truck):

proof2.png

Edited by kraushad

I found my telescoping mirror at the local auto supply store.. pep boys, auto zone, etc.. should have them.

I have a few great gizmos, many of which have already been mentioned. BUT, nothing works better to keep heads from turning my way way in a crowded parking lot than my safety vest, hard hat, and the following magnetic signs which are prominitely displayed on my white pickup (looks like a work truck):

proof2.png

That is truly brilliant. On Monday, I'm going to the magnetic sign shop. I may also have company t-shirts printed. (I'll remember to put a local telephone number on it.)