Garmin Customer service- a 10* experience

salmondan

Having problems with my etrex legend- actually deader than a doornail. Have had it for 20 months and taken good care of it. Emailed Garmin and asked them if it was worth repairing ($99 flat fee) as it didn't last very long- they quickly emailed back and said they would repair free of charge. Kudos. I am one happy camper. And likely will upgrade to another unit in the next year and you can be sure it will be a Garmin.

I found their email support to be pretty much worthless. However, called them today and my non-functional Vista HCx is now headed back to them. Won't bother with the email support again unless it's for a minor "how to" problem All things considered a good experience if I eventually get my replacement unit.

I found their email support to be pretty much worthless. However, called them today and my non-functional Vista HCx is now headed back to them. Won't bother with the email support again unless it's for a minor "how to" problem All things considered a good experience if I eventually get my replacement unit.

I've also tried their emailsupport and it was really bad. I got answers that showed that the person answering had no idea what he was talking about.

After a few mails I felt that he was either trying to fool me with technical buzzwords or that he did not understand what he was talking about. Either way I felt offended by it and sent a pretty rude mail with quotes from their own online FAQ that clearly described HotFix and WAAS/EGNOS as two technologies that aren't very much related to each other. Newer got an answer to my last mail though.

The rubber gasket around my wife's Garmin Legend HCX became very loose. When it was under warrantee I contacted Garmin and they send a new gasket. This one lasted a few months, stretched and became loose again.

I though.. what the heck even tho out of warrantee I'll see what they say.

Within two days I had a replay from Garmin indicating they would send three (3) replacement gaskets with two sided tape.

True to their word, yesterday a BIG box arrived from Garmin with three rubber gaskets.

The new gaskets are tight and should last.

Thanks Garmin.. Great service.

jammun,

Strangely, my Vista HCx was just replaced by Garmin. They don't worry about fixing your unit and sending it back. They just send out a replacement as soon as they receive your defective unit. Whether it will be a newly refurbished or new unit is up to Garmin. The entire process took about 10 days to ship-receive-send back. I upgraded the software to the current version and was back on the trail with no problems.

Very satisfied with their support.

I think Garmin learned a big lesson with the Colorado fiasco and have regrouped and decided to continue to offer excellent customer service.

I have found their phone lines way too busy but once you get to the right person, he/she takes good care of you.

I had three bad CO's and once I got to the right person at Garmin, he immediately replaced it with a new OR that has worked flawlessly.

BTW, that rubber seal on the eTrex is a chronic problem. Don't leave you unit on the car dash.

Now if only their support had an 800 number...

they do...1-800-800-1020 from 8 am- 7 pm cst. I was on the phone with them twice yesterday with a couple different software issues. The first time there was about a 2 minute wait, and the second time about a 4 minute wait. I've used Garmin GPS's for more than 12 years and whenever I've had any questions, unlocking needs, replacement parts, etc. they have always been reliable.

Edited by liketwohike

Now if only their support had an 800 number...

they do...1-800-800-1020 from 8 am- 7 pm cst. I was on the phone with them twice yesterday with a couple different software issues. The first time there was about a 2 minute wait, and the second time about a 4 minute wait. I've used Garmin GPS's for more than 12 years and whenever I've had any questions, unlocking needs, replacement parts, etc. they have always been reliable.

Oh that's good, the only time I've ever had to call them, which was about a year ago, I don't think there was an 800 number, only their long distance number.