Synchronizing SA events

RedGlobe

With all the planning of different events i.e.; Gorge hike, Tshwane Braai, Tshwane CITO and the Tontedoos event, I would like to propose dates on this forum for comments;

RedGlobe out of town – 14/03/2009 (slag van bloed rivier)

Tshwane Braai – 21/03/2009???

Gorge hike III – 28/03/2009???

Tonteldoos event – 11/04/2009 (set date)

Tshwane CITO – 25/04/2009???

Greetings RedGlobe

Please spread the word of the CITO event GC1P4MC on the 02/05/2009 to the other cachers out there. This CITO event is only the 6th CITO event in South Africa’s history. We need each and every one to make this a success, together we can do more.

Greetings from RedGlobe

Please spread the word of the CITO event GC1P4MC on the 02/05/2009 to the other cachers out there. This CITO event is only the 6th CITO event in South Africa's history. We need each and every one to make this a success, together we can do more.

Greetings from RedGlobe

I am quite surprised / disapointed at the current turn out.

It is only 2 or 3 hours of your time and giving something back to the sport/game we all love.

Hope to see more faces at the event.

I am planning a Braai event at the Groenkloof Nature Reserve for the 28 August 2010 and have completed all arrangements with Tshwane Counsel for the Lapa and facilities. Hopefully we can complete the listing this weekend.

Secondly we have started arrangements for a CITO event (23 October 2010) at the Joost Bekker Reserve cleaning the river banks in that area. This will provide a opportunity for campers from other areas to camp for the weekend (arranging low prices) to camp and enjoy the area over the weekend. The CITO will only be for the Saturday morning and again a braai at the Lapa afterwards. This CITO will again be helped by the Tshwane Council.

The Wormy team are planning an event in Gauteng on Sunday 10-10-10.

Not that any cacher needs an invitation to cache over a weekend but this is to support a Groundspeak Drive :

"Plan to Go Geocaching on 10-10-10 -

We want to see how many geocachers can go geocaching on a single day!

We've chosen 10-10-10, since the date represents 10 years of geocaching and 10 years of Groundspeak in 2010.

Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your worst enemy (if that's what it takes) and let's see if we can beat the previous record of 56,654 accounts logging on April 18, 2010.

Even one log counts since we are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged"

I've had this date in mind for a "Flash Mob" Event for a while, maybe I'll combine it on the day with a new cache or two close to the venue.

Details to follow !

Worm

Secondly we have started arrangements for a CITO event (23 October 2010) at the Joost Bekker Reserve cleaning the river banks in that area. This will provide a opportunity for campers from other areas to camp for the weekend (arranging low prices) to camp and enjoy the area over the weekend. The CITO will only be for the Saturday morning and again a braai at the Lapa afterwards. This CITO will again be helped by the Tshwane Council.

Please see http://www.tshwane.gov.za/resorts.cfm#joosbecker for more contact details for arranging your stay for this camping weekend. There are other overnight facilities available but note that this will not be at our discount offer from Tshwane council (only “camping” discount).

Were planning on doing some caches in Vaal Park on the 25th of September. There is about 13 caches in the park and Antron said he would add a few more for us cachers coming from jJhb. The Lapa in Vaal park will also be available after doing the caches in the reserve to have a braai and visit. Anyone that would like to join us for the day would be welcome.

We're also thinking of making this a event so that a lot of the cachers that lives more to the South could meet cachers from up North.

Keep a eye on this space ...more details to follow...

After talking to Happy Hunter SA this morning I'm hoping they can plan something for Sat 25 Sept in Vaal Park as I'm planning an Event in Pretoria for the Friday 24th September 2010.

It is National Braai Day and Heritage Public Holiday.

More details later

Update :

New Event cache listings submitted yesterday (soon to be published if Rotsip is happy) :

Heritage Braai Day - 24 Sept 2010 - Rooihuiskraal Animal Farm

QC VIII - 13 October 2010 - Cuppucino's – Centurion

10-10-10 @ 10:10:10 - Flash Mob - Irene Village Mall

QC VIX - 17 November 2010 - BTC – Menlyn Retail Park

Worm Greetings

The Wormy team are planning an event in Gauteng on Sunday 10-10-10.

Not that any cacher needs an invitation to cache over a weekend but this is to support a Groundspeak Drive :

"Plan to Go Geocaching on 10-10-10 -

We want to see how many geocachers can go geocaching on a single day!

We've chosen 10-10-10, since the date represents 10 years of geocaching and 10 years of Groundspeak in 2010.

Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your worst enemy (if that's what it takes) and let's see if we can beat the previous record of 56,654 accounts logging on April 18, 2010.

Even one log counts since we are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged"

I've had this date in mind for a "Flash Mob" Event for a while, maybe I'll combine it on the day with a new cache or two close to the venue.

Details to follow !

Worm

Update :

New Event cache listings submitted yesterday (soon to be published if Rotsip is happy) :

Heritage Braai Day - 24 Sept 2010 - Rooihuiskraal Animal Farm

QC VIII - 13 October 2010 - Cuppucino's – Centurion

10-10-10 @ 10:10:10 - Flash Mob - Irene Village Mall

QC VIX - 17 November 2010 - BTC – Menlyn Retail Park

Worm Greetings

Ooops! We have not been on the forum lately due to work commitments, but when we saw the paragraph about 10-10-10 in the newsletter and with Rolf's pending trip to the States in October, we saw loads of 10-10-10 Events. So we thought to go ahead and do one on our side. But we forgot to check the forum and didn't see that Wormgeocache also organised such an Event. Although his is a lot different to ours, we are sorry that we won't be able to attend his Event. We just hope that as many teams attend either or both Events (which is possible as our Event goes on for a few hours while Worm's is a quickie), so that we can create a new record!

Buya Lapa Swaziland

691fff52-965d-4d3b-b3b9-9e8db09986be.jpg

Wormgeocash and Leon St are planning a trip to Swaziland between 12 to 14 November 2010.

Leon St will host a breakfast on Saturday 13th Nov either in Badplaas or Barberton and Wormgeocash will host a braai on Saturday afternoon in Swaziland.

We've identified some places to stay close to and inside Swaziland and will have them available on the listing and further forum posts.

This will enable teams to choose to come through Saturday morning, attend the breakfast and enter Swaziland to cache and attend the braai or staying over on Friday close to the breakfast or border.

We'll most probably stay over Saturday evening in Swaziland seeing that there are many locations to choose from rather than leaving after the braai to stay just outside the border.

Swaziland is a small country, no more than 200 km north to south and 130 km east to west. The western half is mountainous, descending to a Lowveld region to the east. The eastern border with Mozambique and South Africa is dominated by the escarpment of the Lebombo Mountains. The climate is temperate in the west, but may reach 40 degrees in summer in the Lowveld. Rainfall occurs mainly in the summer and may reach 2 m in the west.

1a3c090e-7082-425b-ad2d-e2b573834487.jpg

Communications

International telephone calls are easy to make, and there is a mobile phone communications infrastructure. The international code for the Kingdom of Swaziland is +268. There are e-mail centres and Internet Cafes in Mbabane and Manzini.

Major cities

Mbabane is the administrative capital, with a population of 60 000. Manzini is the hub, situated next to Matsapha Industrial Estate. The population of Manzini is about 80 000. Lobamba is the legislative capital.

Internal transport

There are 300km of railway lines augmenting a network of around 800km of paved and 2 000km of unpaved roads. Buses are available, as are minibus taxis.

The Northern Region of Swaziland is home to the country's two principal towns, Mbabane, the capital, and Manzini, home of Swaziland's international airport. The royal and legislative capital is Lobamba, situated halfway between these two towns. Swaziland North is also home to the country's National Parks.

Visa

Non-locals need to have a valid international passport to visit this friendly country. Do check with your travel agent to ensure you have the correct travel documentation.

Road Tax

A road tax amount of R50 is payable at all Swaziland borders upon entering the country.

NEW SOUTH AFRICA/SWAZILAND BORDER REQUIREMENTS :

With immediate effect, all vehicles leaving South Africa through Swaziland borders, will require registration documentation (or certified copies thereof) to be provided to the border/customs officials.

Should the vehicle not belong to the driver, a letter confirming ownership and authorization for the driver to be taking the vehicle out of the country, need to accompany the registration documents.

Car Hire companies will need to be advised to also provide this documentation for rentals. It is not advisable to leave these documents unattended in your vehicle at any time, but rather carry them together with your passport on your person.

Should a vehicle arrive at the border without these documents, you will not be permitted to exit South Africa to Swaziland in that vehicle.

Border gates

Operating Border Hours

Ngwenya Border Gate/Oshoek- 07h00-22h00

Matsamo Border Gate/Jeppes Reef - 07h00-20h00

Mananga Border Gate - 08h00-18h00

Lomahasha Border Gate/Namaacha - 07h00-20h00

Mhlumeni Border Gate - 07h00-20h00

Lavumisa Border Gate/Golela - 07h00-22h00

Mahamba Border Gate - 07h00-22h00

Gege Border Gate - 08h00-16h00

Salitje Border Gate/Onverwacht - 08h00-18h00

Sicunusa Border Gate - 08h00-18h00

Sandlane Border Gate/Nerston - 08h00-18h00

Lundzi Border Gate - 08h00-16h00

Bulembu/josefdal 08h00-16h00

c8d59666-12ea-4a7c-9ade-b3a73f9012ec.jpg

Once we've got confirmations from a variety of places, we'll do the listings.

Wormgeocash & Leon St

Buya Lapa Swaziland

Once we've got confirmations from a variety of places, we'll do the listings.

After looking at a lot of options and talking to several parties, we're keen to have the event at a restaurant next to the Malolotja Nature Reserve, just outside Mbabane.

There is something for everyone on the menu.

http://www.wheretostay.co.za/restaurants/taste-of-africa/

http://www.wheretostay.co.za/_common/scrip...aste-of-africa/

This is a great opportunity to make it a family weekend.

Below you’ll find a lot of accommodation options and most of them are child friendly. (Replies being copied verbatim, without spell check) :

http://www.game-reserve.com/swaziland_malolotja.html

Good day Jacques

Camping site non electrical. Cost of the campsite will be R70p/p/p/n and once off Park entry R28p/p.

Campsite has Ladies and Gents ablution block, small kitchen wash up area.

Hot water provided with donkey boiler.

Many Thanks

Charmaine

http://www.swazilandhappenings.co.za/mbaba...commodation.htm

http://www.safarinow.com/go/KubutaSwaziland/

http://www.venues4africa.com/region/Swazil...ional-Parks-/53

http://www.safarinow.com/go/MlilwaneWildlifeSanctuary/

At Mlilwane we do have camping ground with electricity points. The rate for camping is R65.00 per person per night.There is a communal kitchen and braii areas in the camp. The stove in the communal kitchen does not have an oven. Please bring your own cooking facilities. We also have a restaurant for meals, breakfast is R75.00 per person and dinner is R120.00 per person served from 6.00 to 8.00pm.

Regarding Hlane campsite it does not have electricity points. The rate is R55 per person per nihgt. Also there is a restaurant, ablution block as well as the campers kitchen.

There is a once off entry fee payment of R35pp for everyone entering the parks that is payable on arrival at the gate.

http://www.lidwala.co.sz/

Hello Jacques,

The dorm rooms costs R110 per night per person. So for 6 people it

would cost R660 per night. Please let mem know as soon as you can, if

you want me to reserve anything for you.

Kind regards,

Philile Mbuli

Lidwala Lodge

Hello Jacques,

We can only accomodate 8 people in the dorms that cost R110 per night

per person. And then we have 2 private twin rooms that cost R300 per

night for a room, and the rest is camping space but then people will

have to bring their own camping equipments and camping costs R70 per

night per person.

Let me know as soon as you can if you are interested in anything.

Kind regards

Philile

Lidwala Lodge

http://www.linx.co.za/accommo/provinces/swazacom.html

www.wheretostay.co.za/swa/

http://www.visitswazi.com/

www.africastay.com/swaziland

www.swaziland-direct.com/

http://www.biggameparks.org/accommodationbackpack.html#

www.swazilive.com/

www.swazi.travel/

http://www.essentialtravelinfo.com/accommo...land/index.html

www.stayinsa.co.za/themaps/Swaziland1

http://www.booknowsa.com/listings/Swaziland

"Good day Hennie,

Thank you for enquiry. Listed below are the campsites with electricity that you requested. please note though that the electricitry is around or nearby the camp; meaning that you have access to electrical cooking facilities, etc I hope that this is what you want.

1. Hlane Royal National Park (Simunye) - +268 528 3943 - Has gas stoves and lamps to allow for cooking but no actual electricity.

2. Malolotja Nature Reserve (Nkhaba) - +268 442 4241 - some have electrivity and some have gas only.

3. Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary (Ezulwini) - 00268 528 3943 - has electricty points

5. Nisela Safaris (Nsoko) - +268 303 0318 - has electricity but at an extra cost

I trust that this is what you're looking for. Happy planning!!

Regards,

Nokwanda Dlamini-Masuku

Information Officer

Tel: +268 404 9693/75

Fax: +268 404 9683

Email: infodesk@tourismauthority.org.sz"

LeonST is busy finalizing his breakfast venue for the Saturday morning and should add a post soon.

Barberton accommodation :

http://www.roomsforafrica.com/dest/south-a...aref=ago0809518

http://www.mpumalanga-travel.co.za/barbart...CFeFc4wodsH8swA

http://www.barbertonchalets.co.za/caravan_camping.htm

Updates to follow soon.

Wormgeocash & Leon St

We know the Swazi parks well, so here's some info, hope it helps....

Malolotja (NW Swaziland) - on the Swazi/SA border behind Barberton/Badplaas - very beautiful, very mountainous, nice campsite (look for the underground stream just below the campsite), lots of blesbok, zebra, and some rare mountain reedbuck, no caches there, but we're planning to hide some in Nov if we can get permission, minimal road network, but a hikers' paradise if you can handle major vertical elevation change hikes. At the SW end of Malolotja is the Lion Cavern cache which is very special and a must-do (near Oshoek border and Ngwenya Glassworks which is great, and a nice coffee shop at the glassworks just inside the border, also ideal for an event) - there are 3 "ages" of mining, and it's the oldest mine in the world.

Mlilwane (Central Swaziland) - not pristine nature having been converted from a farm in the 60's, but lots of game, and you can walk around there on hiking trails - just get a trail card for a E10 deposit at the office so they know who's out and about in the reserve. Some nice caches there - the volcanic spring is nice, the Mlilwane 4x4 cache is great, and Execution Rock is a wow!! Nyala, impala, warthogs, etc come into the camp in the morning and evening, and one can have some wonderful up-close nature experiences there. The main campsite is a bit of a distance from the ablutions being at the far end of the camp, but there are a limited number of campsites in the middle of the camp which are much closer (and nicer).

Hlane (NE Swaziland) - very special rhino experiences to be had there, and nice camping too. A 2 hour bush walk with the ranger and getting up close and personal with 2 tons of sharp pointed rhino only costs about E80pp.

I've got lots of pics taken in these reserves on Facebook. Anyone wanting to see them is welcome to send me a friend request - Andy Maclaurin

PS: If you're already an FB friend, you'll find those albums about Sept 2009 - they're roughly in date order.

Not sure if we can join you or not yet, but we'll see how our arrangements work out.....ENJOY!! :unsure:

Edited by Fish Eagle

There hasn't been activity on this thread for some time now and the topic fell off the radar.

We've got two events for Saturday 26 Feb (Techno I 2011 & 2000 Times for Team Cache-Fan) and two on the Saturday 12 March (Geocacher's Breakfast Run & Marievale Picnic)

I think it would be nice if event planners track this topic to synchronize with each other.

I've seen on other SA threads and heard at an event or two that :

Team Vdlo is planning a rocky talk @ Robin Koppie in April;

Team Redglobe have got some clean plans for an international CITO end of April and

HeinG wants to get a date for his annual Tswaing Gatkruip.

I found a very nice Spur where I'm planning QB II (Quick Breakfast II). This time we won't have to get really hungry before we get our food, they've got 4 times the amount of waiters and four times the amount of managers and the play area is 4 times larger.

My QC's will also run on the Wednesdays closest to the middle of the month.

Thank you

Worm Greetings

Rock @ Robin's - Team Vdlo

HeinG's last Tswaing Event

Good day All!

This serves as an announcement to this year's Tswaing Crater Event. For those who have not yet attended on of these, please refer to the following listings: Tswaing Crater Sleepover GC1T6MK (http://coord.info/GC1T6MK)and Tswaing Crater Sleepover II 2010 GC253H3 (http://coord.info/GC253H3).

This year the event will be held from Friday 27th May 2011 to Sunday 29 May 2011. The tarrifs are still the same as it was for the previous events.

I will try to get Danie from the Astrological Society to come and present his presentation about Our Universe and to do some stargazing on the Friday or Saturday evening. More details closer to the time in the listing.

Hope to see you all there!

Swaziland trip.

The year is rushing to an end and corporate functions and holiday plans upon us.

We've decided to take more time planning this trip and we're aiming for 12-14 March 2010.

We'll keep you posted.

Worm & Leon St

I know that GerhardoosMPSA has just organised an Event in Swaziland this past weekend, but is there a chance that you'll still arrange this planned Swazi trip this year?

Please keep an eye on the events outside of RSA as a topic started by me. This is not included in this RSA events topic. It includes more than one country and I would like to keep these foreign countries ones away from the RSA events. I have a simple mind and I like to have it in one place for my references for future use. For these Africa trips one need information and it is not nice to page through a complete RSA event organizing forum to find the relevant info for a specific country among the RSA events.

One thing that we learned from events is that you can not please every single cacher. There is always someone with a different idea and with a different venue and different time. To arrange these Africa trips is not easy. Many things can go wrong. So we will publish a date and a venue to get the ball rolling – if there is someone that wants to change it then we will adapt the listing if the majority agrees.

We are still heading for Africa during this year but first we will do Lesotho somewhere late in April but more to the south and this time around it is going to be a difficult 4x4 route and you will camp next to the road. For the Africa trip we will publish about two months before the time. I hope you got the yellow fever injection during last year.

The vehicles and the drivers will be tested to the limit in Lesotho to make sure that everybody is ready for an Africa trip. You will go down “God Help Me Pass” and you will see the hidden gems such as the dinosaur footprints and the waterfall but to get there is tough. This is going to be rough and recovery equipment will be needed.

You will also discover that at a certain place we will end at a rock cliff where we will turn left into and down the river. From here it is long drive down this river to get to the other road. The water is not deep but there are rocks and there are a risk of flash floods. Here you can decide if you want to do the Africa trip or not.

The Africa trip will be easier but if things do go wrong then I want to make sure that all cachers know how to deal with the situation. At the Lesotho camp site we will make sure that there are not white flowers the next morning all around us. So we have to make use of a make shift toilet. We will also have to arrange for a temporary shower area. Next to the road there are no shops, fuel, no garages and water taps. For those that never done this or that have never lived this way it will be a steep learning curve but it could be an awarding trip that you will not forget. If you can enjoy this trip you will be confident that you are Africa material and that you will enjoy to go higher up. I will make sure that you go in and that you come back in one piece. To go into Africa sounds romantic but sometimes it is not easy and you have to prepare for the unexpected. During this recent easy Swaziland trip people battled to join us so the Lesotho trip will shuffle the pack a bit. I am also going to fish around in my club for more experienced people to join us.

Next Africa topic will be at the correct forum.

Gerhard

Swaziland trip.

The year is rushing to an end and corporate functions and holiday plans upon us.

We've decided to take more time planning this trip and we're aiming for 12-14 March 2010.

We'll keep you posted.

Worm & Leon St

I know that GerhardoosMPSA has just organised an Event in Swaziland this past weekend, but is there a chance that you'll still arrange this planned Swazi trip this year?

Hi GEO936

It would be too close to the one just hosted, so we decided to postpone it for a while.

We will be hosting a QS in Jhb on Saturday, 26th March 2011 and a CITO on 2nd May 2011.

Thank you, I've seen your listing for QS III, just check with Redglobe about the CITO please, they're also planning something for end of April, beginning May as per one of my previous logs.

Hi there...sorry guys, I made a mistake. The CITO we will organise will be on Sunday, 1st May 2011. It is part of the Groundspeak Annual CITO weekend. RedGlobe will host the one on the 30th April and we'll host the one on the Sunday. Don't worry - it will just be an hour or two of cleaning up a private property!

The techno event on 26 February was a great success and it was encouraging to see so many first time cachers coming to the event. It was suggested that we have another one in about two months. Looking at the calendar for April it looks quite full. So I am proposing either the 7th or 14th of May for the next one. Please indicate which would be more acceptable. I don't see anything else planned for either of those two dates. My preference would be 7 May. Unless I hear anything to the contrary, I shall list it at the end of the week.

The techno event on 26 February was a great success and it was encouraging to see so many first time cachers coming to the event. It was suggested that we have another one in about two months. Looking at the calendar for April it looks quite full. So I am proposing either the 7th or 14th of May for the next one. Please indicate which would be more acceptable. I don't see anything else planned for either of those two dates. My preference would be 7 May. Unless I hear anything to the contrary, I shall list it at the end of the week.

Hi Bruce. My dads birthday falls exacly on that date. So the 7th of May I will not be able to make,

14th suits me better. (But don't change just on my account).

Hi there...sorry guys, I made a mistake. The CITO we will organise will be on Sunday, 1st May 2011. It is part of the Groundspeak Annual CITO weekend. RedGlobe will host the one on the 30th April and we'll host the one on the Sunday. Don't worry - it will just be an hour or two of cleaning up a private property!

So then I would guess that a GC 11 years Birthday party with cupcakes is out of the question for 1st of May ?

So then I would guess that a GC 11 years Birthday party with cupcakes is out of the question for 1st of May ?

Why don't we do it back to back with the CITO Event? Clean up first then party afterwards?

Why don't we do it back to back with the CITO Event? Clean up first then party afterwards?

Or CITO Pta Sat 30 Apr; CITO JHB Sun 01 May and 11th Birthday party on Monday 02 May being a public holiday as well ?

Or CITO Pta Sat 30 Apr; CITO JHB Sun 01 May and 11th Birthday party on Monday 02 May being a public holiday as well ?

This is a very good idée....you have my vote!!

Hi Bruce. My dads birthday falls exacly on that date. So the 7th of May I will not be able to make,

14th suits me better. (But don't change just on my account).

CJ would like to tackle HTML and cache listings and the 7th would suit him better so have scheduled it for the 7th of May. :anitongue:

Keep a look out for GC2QERD, soon to be revealed. :D