Magellan 400

hwa3

I note that some folks have posted some rather negative comments about Magellan Triton 400 complaining about poor performance, hard to use, etc., does anyone know if they (Magellan) have resolved those issues? Is this unit worth purchasing? The comments I saw were from Feb. 2008. I have a Magellan Sport Trak now and it seems fine but Magellan is offering a generous trade in allowance towards a new unit but, if they don't work well I won't bother. See you down the trail!

Regards, HWA3

I had a triton 500 which is basically a 400 with a compass and barometer. I currently have the Triton 2000. Unless they are giving it to you for $75 or less I wouldn't do it. The units at least do the job now, but they are not easy to use and are missing some features.

Vantage point is one of the main weaknesses. you have to use it to load any maps, waypoints, or geocaches to the unit. It is very slow and clunky. When using the unit I find it slow to respond. The lack of any turn-by-turn street maps makes me not like it. There are also alot of little software annoyances for geocaching, such as the hint for the cache is the first thing you see when you bring up the description. Also they have no option to mark a cache as found.

All said it's an ok unit, but I wouldn't go buy one at this point. Hopefullly Mitac (new owner just bought magellan last month) will update the software, vantage point, and allow it's API out so we can use gsak or other pieces of software with it.

I have a Triton 400 and I love mine. I find it very accurate and very easy to use; since you can get most of the info from the cache page(except the size) into the unit, so I don't have to print out a lot of paper and waist ink.

Most of the complaints around here focus on Magellan having poor customer service; I can't speak about that personally because I've never needed to call them. The Triton forum does have a lot of good help

well i have a T400 an really like mine also. I also find it very easy to use an it is very accurate. An SkellyCA you can also get the cache size in the description if you use GSAK with this MACRO http://www.tritonforum.com/forum/viewtopic...114&start=0

I have had very good luck with mine. hwa3 you can lots of good info on the Triton here http://www.tritonforum.com/forum/index.php...d321f9911048a91

Edited by ricstone

The Triton 400 costs about $160 and no, it does not to turn by turn directions. I've never seen any GPSr for $160 that does do turn by turn.

The Delorme PN20 can be had for around $160 if you shop around. I didn't say it did it well, but it does it.

The Legend HCX also does it and is around $170. Granted you have to shell out $100 extra for the software.

Overall I would stay away from Magellan if only because of their horrible customer service. With so many other units out there that are not only better, but offer better customer support, there really is no reason to buy a Magellan right now.

I read this thread with a little trepidation. My Explorist 500 recently died, and I am in the process of getting warranty work done on it from Magellan. They are replacing the defective 500 with a Triton 400. Looking at the specifications the two devices look comparable. I've loved my Explorist - easy to use, fairly accurate, rugged. I'm hoping that the Triton 400 meets my expectations.

So far Magellan's customer service has been easy to work with, and hopefully your horror stories don't come true.

delorme pn-20 does for a $174.00 and it does.

well i have had a pn20 an the auto routing is not very good. If you want a good auto routing unit i suggest a Garmin. I still have my Garmin VentureHC but dont use it very often. I also have a TOM TOM ONE that i use for auto routing. It will get me very close to a cache then i use the T400 to go get it.As far as Magellan support i have only used them once an that was on a Explorest 500 an they were very help full then. Dont know about now. But i like my T400 an have had no problems with it. Ihave had just about all the Garmins an never had any problem out of any of them. I just like the underdog. Its kind of like Chevy an Ford. What ever you like. You can get junk in all of them.