NJ State Parks

Stillwater Vikings

I'm not aware of any policy regarding geocacing in NJ State Parks. I'm told the super of Kittitanny SP wants to approve any placements, but other than that I'm not aware of any restrictions. The NJ park rangers I've spoken with have no problem with geocaching.

I heard rumors a while ago that a policy was being considered, but with the budget cuts I don't think geocaching is very high on the priority list for the state parks right now.

When you talk to park officials and land managers you will get a wide range of opinions about geocaching. Some consider it to be a scourge, while others see as a great activity that gets people outdoors and into their parks. Some actually are geocachers themselves.

Actually, I may be able to shed light on the situation; here goes: It appears that a few parks in the area of the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey may be growing wary of geocaching because of the rather well-known fact that...

well, you are not gonnna believe me, but here goes anyway, and I swear on a stack of Bibles that it is the truth...

...it seems that there exists in the Pine Barrens a rather dangerous hybrid mutant part-human female which appears to be part-Piney monster, part-carnivorous plant and part-human, and it is known that it sometimes lurks near geocaches in order to attack and eat geocachers and their dogs (and even their GPS receivers.)

What is even weirder is that this mutant part-human hybrid appears to maintain a Premium geocaching membership (its account name is "gipsie") with which to better track the movements of prospective victims. Apparently authorities cannot apprehend the monster, and most park rangers are too scared of it to even try to track it or confront it. Due to this constant danger of predation, some of the parks in and near the Pine Barrens, particularly Wharton State Forest, have apparently considered banning geocaching so as to drastically restrict and reduce the food supply for this dangerous part-human mutant hybrid monster.

:anicute:

:o

:)

Couple of notes on this subject...

The state forests near me are all very geocaching friendly. Wharton has almost 500 caches placed in it (I haven't checked numbers lately, may be more now) and the rangers know about geocaching and do not give us a hard time at all. We regularly participate in cleanups and hold our own CITOs. We share the woods with horses, four wheelers, hunters and hikers and, for the most part, peacefully co-exist. Lebanon (Brendan Byrne) State Forest also does not really have a problem that I can see. I have run into a few rangers and have had lengthy discussions about geocaching and have never been told that we shouldn't be doing it. Bass River State Forest is great. Although not all that large, they welcome geocaches and geocachers. They know where the ones in the camping/lake section are and regularly tell us about how they see people looking for them (there are a couple near the office) and always laugh about them trying to be stealthy. This year is the second year that they have asked us to teach a geocaching class.

I have heard stories about parks and officials that do not understand or want geocaching and am thankful that we don't have to deal with that around here.

****Note to Vinny: Knowing about the special relationship that we have, your shrink called me. I have been trying to call you to give you the message. Seeing that you will not answer your phone, I will give you his message through here.

He told me that your pharmacist called him. Seems like there has been a case of tampering at the drugstore. Some numbskull thought it would be funny to switch out all of the Haloperidol for LSD. They arrested the prankster and accounted for all the illegal "medicine" except for yours. He is very concerned for you. Says he hasn't received your daily phone call for two days now and is worried you may be having some kind of meltdown.

Please Vinny. Please give him a call. He is ready to call the authorities....

Edited by gipsie

...it seems that there exists in the Pine Barrens a rather dangerous hybrid mutant part-human female which appears to be part-Piney monster, part-carnivorous plant and part-human, and it is known that it sometimes lurks near geocaches in order to attack and eat geocachers and their dogs (and even their GPS receivers.)

What is even weirder is that this mutant part-human hybrid appears to maintain a Premium geocaching membership (its account name is "gipsie") with which to better track the movements of prospective victims. Apparently authorities cannot apprehend the monster, and most park rangers are too scared of it to even try to track it or confront it. Due to this constant danger of predation, some of the parks in and near the Pine Barrens, particularly Wharton State Forest, have apparently considered banning geocaching so as to drastically restrict and reduce the food supply for this dangerous part-human mutant hybrid monster.

That's cold. :D She is known around these parts as the Madame of Wharton and her peeps are not amused. :)

That's cold. :D She is known around these parts as the Madame of Wharton and her peeps are not amused. :)

Ruh-roh, Vinny. You have aroused the wrath of the Hobbit. And he is not amused......

You are SO in trouble now.....!!!

That's cold. :D She is known around these parts as the Madame of Wharton and her peeps are not amused. :D

She/it is horrible and scary, and only part human, and I CANNOT believe that the silly Groundspeak admins allow it/her to post here! There oughta be a law!

That's cold. :D She is known around these parts as the Madame of Wharton and her peeps are not amused. :D

She/it is horrible and scary, and only part human, and I CANNOT believe that the silly Groundspeak admins allow it/her to post here! There oughta be a law!

Chill, Vinny. You have already incurred the wrath...

Did you call your shrink yet???

Chill, Vinny. You have already incurred the wrath...

Did you call your shrink yet???

Frankly, my dear, it amazes me that a mutant part-Piney monster, part-carnivorous plant and part-human hydrid such as your horrid scary self would even know what a "shrink" is, and I am even more amazed that you are literate and apparently able to use a PC and the Interweb. Will wonders never cease?

As for my shrink, when I called her back, her office staff advised me that it has been decided by "the committee" that I must be immediately committed for a stay of at least ten years in the newly-rebuilt Institute for Very Depraved and Mentally and Morally Defective People in Ong's Hat; the Institute is apparently part of the Institute of Chaos Studies and the Moorish Science Ashram sister organizations, both co-located in Ong's Hat. I am very worried about this latest development, and worse, I sense your hand in all of this. It is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and moved the players like pieces on some giant chessboard. ...sigh... :D:D:D

:D:D

mac Thank You , thank you , thank you !!!

And since we are now back on topic. The OP's question deals with a broader issue, geocaching in State Parks, and there being no known policy. I suggest that we engage in our sport, hobby at the license of the land administrator.

The NJ Trails Plan of several years back outlined a program working with State Parks and private outdoor groups to maintain and mark trails.

We all know that to be the NYNJTC-- and we all know that several of our prominent Geocachers have been active in that organization. I firmly believe that it is through their efforts that we have benefitted from some good will. Without their participation in improving and developing trails and their efforts at showing Geocaching to be a harmless activity I think we could be facing an entirely different prospect for our game locally. So my personal thank you , and you know who you are.

Now for the rest of us, we have to ask, are we supporting the NYNJTC ?

I plead guilty, but I am renewing my membership today.

Then we next have to ask--Who is going to sponsor our CITO Event for this year ?

We talk a good CITO game locally, but check out exactly how many have been done in NJ in the last 5 years.

I truly believe we can prove our worth in these areas.

Sorry for the hi-jack.... Back to what I was originally saying...

The state forests near me are all very geocaching friendly. Wharton has almost 500 caches placed in it (I haven't checked numbers lately, may be more now) and the rangers know about geocaching and do not give us a hard time at all. We regularly participate in cleanups and hold our own CITOs. We share the woods with horses, four wheelers, hunters and hikers and, for the most part, peacefully co-exist. Lebanon (Brendan Byrne) State Forest also does not really have a problem that I can see. I have run into a few rangers and have had lengthy discussions about geocaching and have never been told that we shouldn't be doing it. Bass River State Forest is great. Although not all that large, they welcome geocaches and geocachers. They know where the ones in the camping/lake section are and regularly tell us about how they see people looking for them (there are a couple near the office) and always laugh about them trying to be stealthy. This year is the second year that they have asked us to teach a geocaching class.

I have heard stories about parks and officials that do not understand or want geocaching and am thankful that we don't have to deal with that around here.

We have worked really hard on building this relationship with the park officials. The CITOs have went a long way towards accentuating the fact that we really DO care about nature. That we appreciate the parks and want to give a little back. We make sure that when we organize a CITO or join in another groups clean-up, like the Pine Barrens 4x4 cleanup in Wharton every year, we tell them that we are geocachers. This way they know how much we are there cleaning up. I, for one, stay very friendly with the rangers.

Melcrim and I were out caching one day when we first began this sport and saw a smoldering area of the forest. We made phone calls until we got someone that could come out and we waited until they showed up, trying to keep the fire from spreading. When fire services showed up, we showed them the fire perimeter. They asked what we were doing out there and we told them geocaching. It was a long time ago and they hadn't heard about it before so we explained it to them. They were very interested and appreciative of what we did to stop the fire.

I guess what I am trying to say is we need to keep geocaching in a good light. When we do something good, we need to mention geocaching. We need to continuously do CITOs. A few of us are volunteers at Bass River. Call your local forest office, say you are a geocacher and would like to inquire about volunteer opportunities. It desn't take a lot of time and puts you in the forest where you like to be anyway. Offer to teach a geocaching class. Try to link it up to the time when the park has some other type of event going on. Add it to the festivities. If they seem leery, offer to teach the staff and officials first.

A little effort can go a long way....

The NJ Trails Plan of several years back outlined a program working with State Parks and private outdoor groups to maintain and mark trails.

We all know that to be the NYNJTC-- and we all know that several of our prominent Geocachers have been active in that organization. I firmly believe that it is through their efforts that we have benefitted from some good will. Without their participation in improving and developing trails and their efforts at showing Geocaching to be a harmless activity I think we could be facing an entirely different prospect for our game locally. So my personal thank you , and you know who you are.

Now for the rest of us, we have to ask, are we supporting the NYNJTC ?

I plead guilty, but I am renewing my membership today.

Well, you can put me down as former member for 15 years, and former trail maintainer for ten years. I have no idea what's going on with the Trail Conference, but it seems to have lost its raison d'etre: hikers banding together to promote hiking and trails. Oh, well. My idealism died a cruel death.

So my personal thank you , and you know who you are.

Harry--I was talking to you.

I think they moved away from their stridency, you know that one that said that none other than hikers can use the forest, that is why I decided to come back. There is also the eco crazy crew they brought in from Sierra Club, but they seem to keep them somewhat in check. And they are among the best at open land preservation around. I stilll think that if there were no geocachers among the ranks of TC members they would be screaming about it the way they did about mtn bikers in the 90's. Now they understand that there are multi dimensional members,not just the trekkers.

I am still convinced that without that presence , geocaching would be a lot different in NJ than it is. We no doubt would be operating under the more restrictive type of system seen elsewhere, which seemingly fosters a proliferation of the less than attractive type of cache magneticly fastened to every guardrail in the area.

Edited by Packanack

I was just at the office for Stokes State park in New Jersey I asked them about placing goecache with my Cub Scout den in the park and was told that there are caches in the park but that thay are not alowed to be there does anyone know why?

I'm in NY but we have a similar situation with one of our parks. Caches in NY state parks need a permit these days, which is a pain but at least we can cache there. One park, Connetquot River State Park, has an 80 year old manager who won't even respond to the permit applications. I've sent them in for a half dozen parks and all have come back with permit stickers in a reasonable amount of time, with the exception of Connetquot. Nothing, not even a denial, I'm thinking they just file them in the trashcan when they get them. It is our state park but the manager has the last say I guess. Might be the same thing with Stokes.

I'm not sure how things work in the frogs mind :huh: but I know that the approvers usually don't question a cache placement in a park (system) that has no rules against geocaching. Kind of like implied consent. Which could mean that no-one even approached the park manager until you did.

Edited by macatac1961

Which is as I suspect, and it only takes one manager to get a bug or take a personal position, or to get the idea that "social trails" are being created, or to literally adopt the ban against off trail hiking in State Parks.

It is kind of hard to come down on people who are blazing your trails and keeping them clean. And I think that is one reason why there has not been any attempt to stifle the game. We are also a very small grouping, not known outside our own little circle of friends.

Which is as I suspect, and it only takes one manager to get a bug or take a personal position, or to get the idea that "social trails" are being created, or to literally adopt the ban against off trail hiking in State Parks.

It is kind of hard to come down on people who are blazing your trails and keeping them clean. And I think that is one reason why there has not been any attempt to stifle the game. We are also a very small grouping, not known outside our own little circle of friends.

Ah. But you are mistakenly assuming that either the Trail Conference or the State Park Personnel actually know who we are (were) or even care. Yes. There are several well known maintainers/geocachers. The rest of us fly low under the radar. Trail maintenance tends to be a very solitary endeavor. As are most hikers. This is the modern world! There is nothing personal. We're in a data base somewhere. Numbers, not people. Marching robots.

After ten years, and several hundred hours, maintaining a trail in Wawayanda, I stopped by the office to ask written permission to put out an Earth Cache. The lady (who I assume is the park ranger) said "No problem!". But I need written permission for an Earth Cache. "Okay. I'll e-mail it to you." Nothing. Follow up letter received no response. I was just an entry in a data base somewhere, not a real person. Too much trouble to help someone who maintained one of their trails for ten years.

And, quite frankly, I get the same response from the Trail Conference: Nothing! Fifteen years as a member. Ten years as a trail maintainer. What response do I get from e-mails and letters? Nothing. Zilch. Nada. This is the modern world! We are nothing but data in a data base. We're not real peope! And that's what I meant when I said that the Trail Conference has moved away from its original basis. It doesn't care about me as a person; I'm just an entry in a database somewhere. The modern world has moved away from caring about people. We're just numbers in a data base.

I became a maintainer to thank the other people who maintain the trails that I enjoy hiking. I think that I have fulfilled that. It filled a need that I had. I think that I did a good job. But, I am done. The hikers who hiked my trail were appreciative, I think. But to Wawayanda State Park, and to the Trail Conference, I was but an entry in a data base somewhere. I still think that Terrace Pond is the most beautiful place that I have ever seen! But, it is time for me to move on. I'm fifteen years older now. (Yeah. I'm older than you are.) The arthritis is acting up. Time for someone younger to take up the effort. (As if the Trail Conference can find anyone willing to put in such effort to maintain trails anymore. Have you tried hiking Terrace Pod North from the outlet of the pond to Warwick Turnpike? It hasn't been maintained in ten years!)

So, don't try to make me feel guilty. I've done my time. Time for me to move on to other things. Time for someone else to take on the burden. I'm done. It was fun, but I'm done.

And, nope. Neither the Sate Park nor the Trail Conference know who I am. I'm just an entry in a data base somewhere.

Have you tried hiking Terrace Pod North from the outlet of the pond to Warwick Turnpike? It hasn't been maintained in ten years!)

It has only been about 4 or 5, that was my brother in laws trail, he gave it up about 4 or5 . It is hard to argue with persons of logic and thorough understanding and explanaton. But do allow someone to say thanks for you effort. Thank you for your effort.

There are times that you move in different directions after having "done your time". I see it all the time, folks who work in their church, coaching kids, scouts, etc etc. And those who maintain trails. Having done every single one of those things and others as a volunteer, I would hardly try and make anyone feel guilty about seeking out some me time or understanding when someone wants to step aside for other pursuits or for strictly personal reasons, because I have stepped aside from each and everyone of those things for just that type of reason. You made the effort that is why you deserve the thanks.

MY point is that I believe sincerely that we as users NJGC, need to show a responsible presence, and as I said before we as a geocaching community, group or whatever have talked a good game on CITO, but our delivery has been just a little hard to detect. Won't someone sponsor a CITO and that is not to make you or anyone else feel guilty.

Harry, if I were trying to make you feel guilty, it would be for the fact that you won't give me the answer to 5 Star New York. :rolleyes: Like really really guilty ............

I still think that if there were no geocachers among the ranks of TC members they would be screaming about it the way they did about mtn bikers in the 90's. Now they understand that there are multi dimensional members,not just the trekkers.

I gave a presentation on geocaching to the Trails Council about 3 years ago. I think it helped with some

people who had anti geocaching sentiments. Mind you none had any first hand experience. When the questions came it was mostly "I heard that....". or "I read somewhere that...".

After the presentation some people seemed to be converted from their anti-geocaching stance and some became less vehement in their opinion . I know of a few who are still anti geo-geocacing and will badmouth the sport at every opportunity but it is a very small number. It does help that former board members and executives, a surprising number of active volunteers and many members are geocachers.

The screaming about mountain biking has died down somewhat. 10 years ago I'd say 95 percent of the Trails Council was dead set against it. There is still a good sized segment that is vehemently anti-mountain bike, but I'd say it's closer to about 25 percent now. I think that has changed as the members have come to the realization that hikers have many of the same interests as the mountain bikers do. Also the work that mountain bikers have done to improve their image with the state parks has brought a lot of TC members around. They are out there alongside us getting dirty and doing trail work. They actually police themselves and have patrols where they educate other mountain bikers about etiquette and staying off trails where they don't belong.

Its a model that we geocachers need to emulate.

Edited by briansnat

The other day, there was some commentary on the lack of maintenance on a section of the Terrace Pond Blue trail from Warwick Tpk to Terrace Pond, I contacted my bil who used to do it and he said: That he had given it up about 8 or 9 years ago and someone else took it over,from the Tpk to the pipeline, from the Pipe Line to Terrace Pond apparently not being maintained. So rather than say that Harry was correct, we will classify him as being partially correct. But my bil also said that there has been active attention put to the re route of the trail, and a TC work crew worked it extensively in October. But that is not the point of this. The point of this is, our involvement or lack thereof. Harry has recently retired from the maintenance of the Clinton Road section of trail, my bil took another trail and another trail after that, but has retired from trail maintenance also. If the codgers can't do it anymore, who will ? Certainly not the State, we are going to be lucky if they even open some of the parks this summer.

Would anyone be interested in an Event Type of thing to seek out and provide attention to a trail section, where we would go out and clip and mark and clean up. We did this type of thing last year at High Mtn in Wayne on the Red Trail, to the top, we took out almost 1000 pounds of debris, had a good time. If anyone is interested , please say so and we will see if we can get something together.

Edited by Packanack

The other day, there was some commentary on the lack of maintenance on a section of the Terrace Pond Blue trail from Warwick Tpk to Terrace Pond, I contacted my bil who used to do it and he said: That he had given it up about 8 or 9 years ago and someone else took it over,from the Tpk to the pipeline, from the Pipe Line to Terrace Pond apparently not being maintained. So rather than say that Harry was correct, we will classify him as being partially correct. But my bil also said that there has been active attention put to the re route of the trail, and a TC work crew worked it extensively in October. But that is not the point of this. The point of this is, our involvement or lack thereof. Harry has recently retired from the maintenance of the Clinton Road section of trail, my bil took another trail and another trail after that, but has retired from trail maintenance also. If the codgers can't do it anymore, who will ? Certainly not the State, we are going to be lucky if they even open some of the parks this summer.

Would anyone be interested in an Event Type of thing to seek out and provide attention to a trail section, where we would go out and clip and mark and clean up. We did this type of thing last year at High Mtn in Wayne on the Red Trail, to the top, we took out almost 1000 pounds of debris, had a good time. If anyone is interested , please say so and we will see if we can get something together.

Have mentioned this a few times already to the president of the NNJC (Old Navy) and a few other trail maintainers who are geocachers but nothing formal has come of it. Think it would be an excellent event cache and provide a learning experience for geocachers. Perhaps this type of event would even gather some support for geocachers to maintain local trails (those not knowing how the process works, etc... I dont even know how I would go about maintaining a trail). Would be worthwhile to organize it with the knowledge or sponsorship of the land maintainer so that geocachers could be recognized as not being a 'nuisance'. Perhaps such an event could even be categorized as a CITO event!

...I don't even know how I would go about maintaining a trail

See here

here

and here

Perhaps such an event could even be categorized as a CITO event!

I don't see why not. Even mother nature leaves debris on the trails, so we can find one of the more neglected trails in the region and take care of it.

Also, there will be a new trail going in to connect the Hasenclever with the Monks trail. We can use a crew to build it. I was talking with the guy who is in charge of it and mentioned that perhaps a group of geocachers would like to pitch in on a Saturday and complete the trail. He is still awaiting final approvals, but would love to have the NNJC come down and build the trail. With a large enough group it can be done in a day.

Oh, and I'm starting the process rolling to completely relocate the southern end of the Cannonball Trail and could use a crew for that. It could be a few months before that is approved though.

Edited by briansnat
...I don't even know how I would go about maintaining a trail

See here

here

and here

Perhaps such an event could even be categorized as a CITO event!

I don't see why not. Even mother nature leaves debris on the trails, so we can find one of the more neglected trails in the region and take care of it.

Also, there will be a new trail going in to connect the Hasenclever with the Monks trail. We can use a crew to build it. I was talking with the guy who is in charge of it and mentioned that perhaps a group of geocachers would like to pitch in on a Saturday and complete the trail. He is still awaiting final approvals, but would love to have the NNJC come down and build the trail. With a large enough group it can be done in a day.

Oh, and I'm starting the process rolling to completely relocate the southern end of the Cannonball Trail and could use a crew for that. It could be a few months before that is approved though.

I'm in :rolleyes: Sounds like a fun time and a good way to promote geocaching.

Pick a Saturday (hopefully before May) and I'm in. Call it a CITO event and everyone north of 78 will turn up.

Edited by MountainRacer

Pick a Saturday (hopefully before May) and I'm in. Call it a CITO event and everyone north of 78 will turn up.

Agreed! Pick a weekend Brian and setup a CITO event - Im in.

Just to let you know; there is no outright banning of GCing on all ATC maintained lands. What the ATC wants to do is make sure that caches are not placed in environmentally sensitve areas. Don't ask me what that encompasses. There are other folks who can answer that question much better than I.

There are some areas where GCing is not permitted. As I understand it, the National Forest Service does not permit caching on the land it owns. That includes the AT, and its surroundings. Remember, the AT sometimes runs through and on privately owned land, but mostly it is on NPS-owned land.

What should be done is; if you are unsure of whether there is a restriction on the land you are intending to place a cache, and you know it may be NPS land ... call the ATPO contact: Chief Ranger Todd Remaley at 304-535-6171. The Mid-Atlantic ATC regional office can be reached at 717-258-5771.

ATC volunteers are not responsible for removing caches, but are asked to report their location, and any possible impact on the surrounding area with field notes and photographs through their club to the appropriate land managing agency and the ATC regional offices.

Cachers are responsible for determining land ownership and obtaining permission before placing caches on public or private land. It is common courtesy to ask permission in any event. There are areas that are unrestricted and are considered appropriate for GCing.

That is what I have to offer.

Just to let you know; there is no outright banning of GCing on all ATC maintained lands. What the ATC wants to do is make sure that caches are not placed in environmentally sensitve areas. Don't ask me what that encompasses. There are other folks who can answer that question much better than I.

There is a defacto ban. The NPS demanded the archival of over 150 caches (the archivals had nothing to do with environmentally sensitive areas, as some were on paved roads, at shelters or right along the footpath) and instructed that no new caches be placed. I understand that the ATC has come up with some sort of geocaching policy, but it has never been broadcasted.

Until someone at the ATC or NPS tells Grounspeak what the policy is, there is a ban in place along the AT corridor as far as they are concerned.

As I understand it, the National Forest Service does not permit caching on the land it owns. That includes the AT, and its surroundings

There is no such thing as the National Forest Service. There is the US Forest Service and the National Park Service. The USFS does allow geocaching on many of their lands. The NPS on the other hand has for the most part had a long standing ban (there were some local supervisors who allowed it), but word is that they are softening up a bit on their stance and allowing local management to make the call.

Edited by briansnat

I was just at the office for Stokes State park in New Jersey I asked them about placing goecache with my Cub Scout den in the park and was told that there are caches in the park but that thay are not alowed to be there does anyone know why?

I'm not sure who was in the office at the time you were in there but Stokes State Forest does allow geocaches in the park. I have a total of three signed letters approving my placement of geocaches in the park. In fact, I have found the Superintendent (Paul Stern) very reasonable, fair and open to ideas about geocaching.

Have mentioned this a few times already to the president of the NNJC (Old Navy) and a few other trail maintainers who are geocachers but nothing formal has come of it. Think it would be an excellent event cache and provide a learning experience for geocachers. Perhaps this type of event would even gather some support for geocachers to maintain local trails (those not knowing how the process works, etc... I dont even know how I would go about maintaining a trail). Would be worthwhile to organize it with the knowledge or sponsorship of the land maintainer so that geocachers could be recognized as not being a 'nuisance'. Perhaps such an event could even be categorized as a CITO event!

I will be hosting a CITO in High Mountain on April 25th.

Second annual because it needs it.

Bring gloves.

Weathernow....

You've got a wonderful attitude, and an even better approach. It will go a long way towards getting more respect for geocachers. What would help even more would be if the NPS heads were there to see the cooperation and the effort that the cachers put out. Some NPS folks seem to have the "...out of my cold-dead hands..." attitude. Sad.

Edited by eterman