GPS Conversion ?

Snuper

I am kinda new at this. I am in the middle of a multi stage cache and need to convert a set of numbers. I have searched for some ideas on how to convert these numbers and have came up with zero clues. Maybe some one here can tell where or what these numbers mean. 11745333* E 3615733* N These are not the real numbers but the same format.

I am kinda new at this. I am in the middle of a multi stage cache and need to convert a set of numbers. I have searched for some ideas on how to convert these numbers and have came up with zero clues. Maybe some one here can tell where or what these numbers mean. 11745333* E 3615733* N These are not the real numbers but the same format.

Could go one of two ways:

- they are easting and northing coordinates to the whole unit...as in UTM or State Plane coords.

- they are lat/long without any mention of format and no decimal. the asterisks after the numbers make me lean this direction...i think the person intended that to represent the degree symbol

You can probably figure it out if it's a local point and you are familiar with your area's rough coordinates.

Matt

Edited by mattalbr

Could be in UTM grid vs lat/Lon although looking at your local area of Yuma (from your profile ) your example coords don't figure. Possibly the local AZ State Plane coordinate system?

Glad to help....

I ONLY use UTM and don't understand why more people insist on using Lat/Lon in the various formats.

I can only speak for myself but, my brain only works in "distance", not in degrees or minutes or seconds,etc

Ask yourself, how far do I need to go or how far away is that location? Do you mentally determine that in degrees, or decimal degrees or minutes or seconds? No, you determine the answer by mentally estimating the "distance".

There are only two directions in UTM coordinates....East and North. From your current position , you either need to go More East or Less East, or More North or Less North, to match up with the coordinates you are looking for.

Forget that the numbers are metric, just consider that the numbers are "(walking)steps" or paces.

Ok........., from here, I need to go about 73 steps,yards,meters,whatever, More East ( to correct for a low easting # at your current position) and about 127 s,y,m, Less North ( to correct for a high Northing #)

Works for me, I hope it will for you.

Thanks guys. I am learning a little about my GPS. The numbers were a little strange to me and all the searches came up blank or into something I did not understand. Most of the locations I have been searching for are in Lat/Lon and as of today that is all there was. If I see these numbers again I will know where to turn. By the way you helped me log in a great cache. Thanks