Official Cacher Geocoin Pre-Order!

MrBrian

Hello all fellow Cachers/Geocoin collectors! As a dedicated cacher, and an enthusiastic geocoin collector, I've decided it's time for me to start creating my own geocoins as a way to give back to the geocaching community. Seeing that this is my first geocoin, I thought I'd see what you guys thought about this coin before I spent a couple thousand dollars on getting them made :-)

The coin is a 2" coin and will be 3D in the front with a bronze antique finish. Of course, these coins will be trackable at geocaching.com. They will probably run between $10-$15. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you'd be interested in purchasing one or more of these coins. If enough positive feedback comes in, then I'll give oakcoins.com the go ahead and they should be in your mailboxes in about a month. Thanks

MrBrian

badgegeocoin2.jpg

The coin is very nice and yes I would buy or trade for one...

To make the flags changable for different countrys would likely require different dies and die fees for each flag type...Will these be number sequentially at the point where you have the number 123 or would all the coins say 123? If all numbers were different that would be nice

A pin back would take away from the writing on the back but would be very cool...Most people who have a little skill with a soldering iron could put thier own pin on the back if they wanted it

To satisfy the world wide appeal to geocaching you could add something to the back of the coin such as a Globe/Earth on either side of the rounded part of the back side with the tracking number in between 2 globes...Also make the tracking number as large and easy to read as room allows...Remeber you can make the back of the coin very fancy too if you like...You already have to pay for a 2d die for the back so maybe make it a little more fancy, maybe detail out the Backside of the Eagle or something

Will the ribbon over the word Official have any writing or numbers in it?

Your coin is very nice

Just my 2 cents

I like it even though the badge theme is not new. As others have noted the flags makes it a US coin only although the game is played worldwide and coiners come in all national flavours. Put your name on it and it will be a personal coin making the flag issue moot.

Couple things. But to start I really like the design. I am working on a design for a friend "Joe Friday" that is a badge also.

1. The Geocaching logo can not be changed in any way and needs the ® mark. This arework woudl not get approved.

2. The back seems very plain. Maybe use some of the elements from the front for the back also.

3. The flags could be printed so you could get differnt countries on the badges.

4. The year could also be printed to make these custom.

Contact me if you need help producing them.

Mike

All the replies are awesome! This is just a rough draft of the actual coin... The back will be more detailed than it currently is and where the "123" is located is where the number of each coin will be... I may change the geocaching logo if Groundspeak doesn't approve of it as is. Keep up with the suggestions and the input!

MrBrian

If enough positive feedback comes in, then I'll give oakcoins.com the go ahead and they should be in your mailboxes in about a month.

This is just a rough draft of the actual coin... The back will be more detailed than it currently is and where the "123" is located is where the number of each coin will be... I may change the geocaching logo if Groundspeak doesn't approve of it as is. Keep up with the suggestions and the input!

These two seem contradictory. I would say you have at least 2-3 weeks of artwork work left. This is before you get the mint ready artwork. If you get samples that would add another 3-4 weeks. Without samples it would be 4 weeks for production.

My best guess for having these in a customers had would be 7 weeks at best, closer to 8 or 10 weeks. Just from my experiance.

Mike

Hi there!

So far I like your coin and I look forward to seeing more. :lol: I just thought you should be aware (in case you aren't already) that a lot of people are gun-shy with pre-orders that do not come through well-established vendors. So even though you may not get enough of a response to a pre-order announcement, there will be those who will be more inclined to purchase once the coins are in hand.

I'll be watching this thread for updates. :lol:

I like it, but I agree with the issues re: the flag.

I'd make a Geocaching flag ("Hail, Geocachia!"). It could either be a four-color version of the logo in a flag shape, and/or incorporating the Geocaching "G". Then I'd use that vice the US flag.

Although I like Mike's idea of using stickers so that you can vary the flag too, but imagine that might get a bit expensive; I think there are (much smaller) die fees associated with stickers*, and it might be cost-prohibitive to make flags for countries with smaller numbers of active (coin-buying) geocachers. Still, it's worth pursuing, but a "Geocachia" flag might just fit the bill and keep things simple.

I also agree with Mike: the back is kind of plain. What would be cool is if the back were a simplified 2-D "copy" of the front, with the details recessed using a couple of levels (and the text raised). So it would end up looking sort of like a watermark of the front elements with the text superimposed (especially if you put translucent enamel on the back).

I would definitely buy at least two.

*Edited to add: I imagine there'd be one die fee for all stickers, since they're the same shape, and I'm sure the mint could print a variety of nations' flags on one a single sheet. So I don't imagine that it would be hideously expensive to go this way. One of the vendors with more experience could probably say, tho.

Edited by Jackalgirl

Oh, and we need a quote in there. In Latin or Esperanto or something. Something like "in urbs quod in rus" ("in city and in countryside", though check my Latin and I do not actually know it). "(Urbe kaj kampare)"

Edited to add:

Esperanto alternatives:

- urben kaj kamparen (adds a sense of direction: into city and into countryside)

- tien kaj reen ("there and back again", shamelessly stolen from the Esperanto translation of "The Hobbit")

Edited by Jackalgirl

Couple things. But to start I really like the design. I am working on a design for a friend "Joe Friday" that is a badge also.

1. The Geocaching logo can not be changed in any way and needs the ® mark. This arework woudl not get approved.

2. The back seems very plain. Maybe use some of the elements from the front for the back also.

3. The flags could be printed so you could get differnt countries on the badges.

4. The year could also be printed to make these custom.

Contact me if you need help producing them.

Mike

HA HA JOE told me about those, and i was just thinking about that when i saw this today.

If you want to have an American flag because that's where you're from, do it. If you're concerned with selling the absolute most you can then consider doing something to add different flags. Geocaching might be an international game, but your coin already says when it was established, and it was established in the United States. It's your coin and in the end you should make it the way you want it to be. There's plenty of reasons to go either way, including leaving it as is.

And in regards to there already being a few badge coins already... this one is the best looking one so far in my opinion. Nice job.

It's your coin and in the end you should make it the way you want it to be. There's plenty of reasons to go either way, including leaving it as is.

And in regards to there already being a few badge coins already... this one is the best looking one so far in my opinion. Nice job. (Partual Quote!!)

Totaly Agree,Great looking coin!! We would Buy a Few!! We'll be watching..

Thanks for the great work!!