A Pictoral Mapping Quiz

currykev

Dink! (Would be ding, but I got my thumb in the way).

That's a 7-hour, night-time only, letterbox hybrid. Use your GPSr to find the box with the maps, then put it away and navigate with pencil and protractor. And ropes. And helmets, and a lot of crawling. It's the "must-do" cache for 100km in any direction.

Go to one of your cache pages, or better still an unpublished cache page if you want to keep your cache page 'clean'. Use the add note and then upload your image to the log entry. Click on the image to open a page that just shows that image, copy the url shown on the address bar and paste this into your post. Hope that helps.

Many thanks, hopefully we're underway now...

On this image (which will hopefully appear below) there are two caches. What I want to know is the name of the one at the green X plus the name by which the item in the title is more commonly known.

mousy

d14fda3e-d9cc-41c0-91b0-770a215c01db.jpg

Southern Hemisphere. Alright, that rules out half the planet then...

mousy

It's Auckland Harbour and the cache is "The Auld Mug" also known as "The America's Cup"

I've looked at lots of these pics and don't know why, but, this one jumped at me

Edited by Turtlebum

Wahey... That'll be a big DING then...

mousy

ps The side of the basin on the left is where they had all the teams' headquarters for the competition and I think from memory the yacht NZ won the Americas Cup with is on display at the red cross.

Edited by mousytrap

Southern Hemisphere. Alright, that rules out half the planet then...

mousy

It's Auckland Harbour and the cache is "The Auld Mug" also known as "The America's Cup"

I've looked at lots of these pics and don't know why, but, this one jumped at me

Good for you. I've worked my way round S Africa and Australia on google earth. Hadn't got to New Zealand yet. :laughing::lol:

The nearest cache is a couple of miles away, so I want the number that is associated with this location.

number.jpg

Could be any number of numbers.

It's not number 6, I am not a number I'm a free man.

Who is number 1?

Are you number 2?

Be seeing you!

Edited by MartyBartfast

6 will do. :unsure:

Now that the answer is known, can the numbers be explained as to the relevance to the location please?

The location is Portmeirion in north Wales. The TV series The Prisoner was filmed there. The lead character was No.6 although he did his best to deny that.

Edited by Chudley Cannons

6 will do. :unsure:

Now that the answer is known, can the numbers be explained as to the relevance to the location please?

The location is Portmeirion in north Wales. The TV series The Prisoner was filmed there. The lead character was No.6 although he did his best to deny that.

Thank you, can't say I have seen the series, is it any good?

Cult series made in mid 60's by and staring Patrick McGoohan after he finished with several years/seasons as 'Danger Man'. Supposedly what happens to character John Drake when he resigns from the Secret Service. Only ran for about 20 episodes. From what I recall ITC, ATV or whoever the money was behind it, decided to pull the plug, and McGoohan just wrapped it all up in a rushed final episode, which was well tripped out in surreal 60's style such as it is probably still argued as to what on earth it was all about.

The really worrying thing is that one of the US companies is supposed to be making a 'mini-series' of it this year!

Thank you, can't say I have seen the series, is it any good?

It's got a lot of fans, and is well worth a look IMHO. It gets occasional reruns on some of the cable/satellite channels.

Patrick McGoohan's character was indeed number 6 who was imprisoned on the island. Number 2 was the 'camp comandant' and was a different person almost every week. Number 1 was the person who was really in charge, but was never seen or heard, Number 6 spent a lot of time trying to find out who was Number 1.

Anyway on with the game, as usual name the cache:

3572333865_7f293a137e.jpg

Edited by MartyBartfast