pn 40

carmat

To be absolutely clear: With the latest (2.5 beta 3) firmware, you can send caches to the unit one at a time, using Send to GPS.

To send a PQ, you can still use the Topo7 sottware that comes with the unit. But you will be missing some of the geocaching features of the latest firmware if you do it this way.

You can also use a contributed script which hacks the Send to GPS plug-in to allow you to send a PQ to the device. There is also a GSAK script that works with the plug-in hack. These methods do allow you to take full advantage of the latest geocaching features of the unit.

The "cache register" referred to in other posts will be the Delorme-supported method of sending PQs (or other .gpx files) to the unit without using Topo7.

If you are a Mac user: The plug-in works with Mac or Windows. Topo7 is Windows only. The cache register will be Mac and Windows.

To be absolutely clear: With the latest (2.5 beta 3) firmware, you can send caches to the unit one at a time, using Send to GPS.

To send a PQ, you can still use the Topo7 sottware that comes with the unit. But you will be missing some of the geocaching features of the latest firmware if you do it this way.

You can also use a contributed script which hacks the Send to GPS plug-in to allow you to send a PQ to the device. There is also a GSAK script that works with the plug-in hack. These methods do allow you to take full advantage of the latest geocaching features of the unit.

The "cache register" referred to in other posts will be the Delorme-supported method of sending PQs (or other .gpx files) to the unit without using Topo7.

If you are a Mac user: The plug-in works with Mac or Windows. Topo7 is Windows only. The cache register will be Mac and Windows.

This is correct, but I would add that the "hack" (wouldn't this also be a macro) is known about in the DeLorme camp and, while maybe not endorsed, we're able to use it. I've seen most say this works just fine!

I think "hack" makes it sound so "risky", maybe macro is a better word? But, not being techy, I don't know the difference.

Everything in Tom's post applies to the PN-20 with this difference: until the PN-20 firmware is updated later this year, it will only display the cache information in the format that its current firmware allows: 800 characters per comment maximum, and no special icons in the comment display.

I am uncertain--and you would want to check--whether the hint is properly tacked on at the end of the comment for the PN-20. I think so, but you wouldn't want to discover in the field that I was wrong.

I think "hack" makes it sound so "risky", maybe macro is a better word? But, not being techy, I don't know the difference.

Hack (in the technical sense :D ) just means that it's using the Delorme plug-in in a manner for which it was not designed. This is why there were initially some timing problems (lost caches). Now that that's been sorted out, it's apparently working well. There is nothing risky about it as far as I know. Certainly, a lot of people are using it to good effect.

I am considering a PN-40 to replace my junk Magellan Explorist 500. My concern is ease of loading geocaches. Can I load them right from Geocaches .com

I made the switch from a Magellan 500 LE to the PN-40 earlier this year. I was trying to decide between the PN-40 and the Garmin 60CSX. I'm happy so far and use both the "Send to GPS" functionality on www.geocaching.com as well as the "hack" :laughing: and the GSAK macro as well.