GSAK Macro for PN-40 Owners

Tigerz

I have released a GSAK macro that will work hand-in-hand with JAM4AR's app (found here) to allow GSAK users to capture the full potential of GSAK and DeLorme's Send to GPS Plug-In. All or part of the following GSAK information can now be batch transferred to a PN-40 ...

• * Updated coordinates

• * Final coordinates for solved puzzles

• * User defined coordinates for suggested parking, trailheads, etc. determined from maps or the text of a cache page

• * Any User Notes highlighting suggested approaches, time-of-day limitations, or tips picked up from the logs of previous finders

• * Any information in the GSAK County and User Data fields

• * User defined waypoints such as "Home"

Additional details can be found in the GSAK macro forum. The latest version of the macro can be downloaded here

Enjoy! ;)

Mike

Thanks for the kind words folks. As I mentioned in the DeLorme forums, I'm also working with another GSAK macro writer on a way to make our logging via the PN-40's new Field Notes function a little easier. I'll post details here when we have something workable.

Thanks again ... appreciate the feedback!

Mike

Hope you like praise; it's the only commodity with which we can be generous!

I'm especially impressed and appreciative that you're willing to do this work even though you decided to return your PN-40 (and, IIRC, encountered some negativity from a few PN-40 users when you expressed your reservations about the device's capabilities at the time). We're fortunate that you're willing to share your expertise and enthusiasm when there's little immediate personal benefit in it for you.

Edit: Whoop! I see I remembered wrong; you hung on to your PN-40. OK, you're not quite the saint I thought you were. So sue me! :lol:

Edited by embra

I'm especially impressed and appreciative that you're willing to do this work even though you decided to return your PN-40 (and, IIRC, encountered some negativity from a few PN-40 users when you expressed your reservations about the device's capabilities at the time). We're fortunate that you're willing to share your expertise and enthusiasm when there's little immediate personal benefit in it for you.

Actually ... after a month of testing, I returned the Garmin Oregon and kept the DeLorme PN-40. I've had the PN-40 all along and have been quietly working on making it more user friendly/adaptive. I see great potential for the PN-40 ... at a much lower installed cost for most users than the OR and 60CSx.

As for the earlier feedback, it comes with the territory. At some point, I expect some clown to let loose again about something we have or haven't done. Some of it may even be deserved! :lol: It's kind of like death and taxes ... pretty hard to avoid!

Thanks Embra for your continued support ... you've been quite the gentleman throughout!

Mike

Actually ... after a month of testing, I returned the Garmin Oregon and kept the DeLorme PN-40. I've had the PN-40 all along and have been quietly working on making it more user friendly/adaptive. I see great potential for the PN-40 ... at a much lower installed cost for most users than the OR and 60CSx.

As for the earlier feedback, it comes with the territory. At some point, I expect some clown to let loose again about something we have or haven't done. Some of it may even be deserved! :lol: It's kind of like death and taxes ... pretty hard to avoid!

Thanks Embra for your continued support ... you've been quite the gentleman throughout!

Mike

Hey, I also made that misinterpretation and thought that you had returned the -40.

Regardless, I appreciate the effort and the new functionality that you, jam4ar and the DL team have provided in the last two weeks. Absolutely amazing!

I can't recall expressing any negativity, but if so, it is all retracted with the utmost haste.

This is great! I just got my PN-40 this week. Thank you very much for sharing your work with us. Even I was able to send a batch of 475 geocaches to my GPSr. Paperless is the way to go. Thanks again!!

Welcome to a pretty neat club and a fun way to cache ... don't hesitate to call on us if we can help!

I am pleased with the new macro. Quite possibly this will open some eyes about the flexibility of GSAK and the programs benefit to the Geocaching community.

Now, is there a way to speed up the loading just a bit. I did not get an actual time, but it seemed like an eternity loading the 975 geocaches. Don't get me wrong, the macro does wonders. I like it.

Should I delete the waypoints and caches already in the GPSr before adding the new ones or will it overwrite the old ones with new logs, etc? I have always deleted all first then reloaded because I was never sure how it worked, but if I don't need to do that I'd love to cut out the extra step.

Thanks for the macro by the way, now I just have to put all my solved puzzles in GSAK. Which reminds me, when I load a new PQ in GSAK, will it write over the coords I entered on puzzles?

Should I delete the waypoints and caches already in the GPSr before adding the new ones or will it overwrite the old ones with new logs, etc? I have always deleted all first then reloaded because I was never sure how it worked, but if I don't need to do that I'd love to cut out the extra step.

Thanks for the macro by the way, now I just have to put all my solved puzzles in GSAK. Which reminds me, when I load a new PQ in GSAK, will it write over the coords I entered on puzzles?

Yes, depending on how many you add, you still need to delete all the existing geocaches and waypoints. Your unit can hold up to 1000 combined. Our macro and JAM4AR's script will continue to add until you reach the 1000 limit.

There are a number of ways to handle solved puzzles ... we prefer adding a child waypoint for the "Final Location" that will remain when new PQ's are added. To the extent you do not "lock" the geocache, then a new PQ will write over your updated coords just like it always has.

Hope that helps!

Mike

okay I am stuck....my operating system is vista, I have downloaded firefox to use the new macro. I have extracted my gpx file when I attempt to update on findcacheinfo

I select my extracted file hit parse and it says loaded 22 caches

when I hit send caches it says additional plugin needed...I go up in the browser and it says no sutiable plugins found. unkonwn plugin application x-delorme pn

okay I am stuck....my operating system is vista, I have downloaded firefox to use the new macro. I have extracted my gpx file when I attempt to update on findcacheinfo

when I hit send caches it says additional plugin needed...I go up in the browser and it says no sutiable plugins found. unkonwn plugin application x-delorme pn

Go to a cache page and click on the Send to GPS. It will recognize you don't have the plug-in and give you the opportunity to download and instal it. After you successfully download that cache page, you'll be able to use this macro.

Edited by TotemLake

Go to a cache page and click on the Send to GPS. It will recognize you don't have the plug-in and give you the opportunity to download and instal it. After you successfully download that cache page, you'll be able to use this macro.

Awesome! I tried downloading that earlier but I must have done it wrong 2nd time in this case was the charm....

Yes, depending on how many you add, you still need to delete all the existing geocaches and waypoints. Your unit can hold up to 1000 combined. Our macro and JAM4AR's script will continue to add until you reach the 1000 limit.

There are a number of ways to handle solved puzzles ... we prefer adding a child waypoint for the "Final Location" that will remain when new PQ's are added. To the extent you do not "lock" the geocache, then a new PQ will write over your updated coords just like it always has.

Hope that helps!

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Is this still working for everybody? When I use JAM4AR's app it gets to step 3, says "problem finding waypoint" then ends.

It worked for me earlier in the week, now it won't. I notice that Firefox did an automatic update in between. Hmmm, wonder if I need to re-load the plug in.

Found the answer over in the Delorme forum.

Sounds like you have corruption in the waypoints area of memory. If you've got the 2.5 loaded now, try clearing that area with Device Setup/System/Memory Use/Manage Memory/Delete all Waypoints.

Did that and AOK

I continue to be underwhelmed by the reliability of the PN-40 ...