Vehicle GPS for geocaching?

DK Dogs

I went the opposite way... I bought the specific unit I wanted for geocaching, then put the auto routing software on it as an extra. Been very, very happy with the result. The auto routing doesn't talk you through directions, but it does beep before a turn is coming up and then again right before you need to make the turn. It reroutes quickly when needed and the maps are as accurate as I could expect. It's worked great.

I have a very good gps for geocaching which is my primary need, so I don't have to compromise there.

They generally don't work very well for geocaching. Most don't have the compass navigation screen, very few are waterproof or shock resistant, the battery life is insufficient, you can't change the batteries in the field and they aren't designed to be held in the hand.

If you are just going for guardrail and parking lot caches then a vehicle GPS can do the job, but once you walk away from your vehicle you should have a dedicated hand held GPS.

They generally don't work very well for geocaching. Most don't have the compass navigation screen, very few are waterproof or shock resistant, the battery life is insufficient, you can't change the batteries in the field and they aren't designed to be held in the hand.

If you are just going for guardrail and parking lot caches then a vehicle GPS can do the job, but once you walk away from your vehicle you should have a dedicated hand held GPS.

Yup, I second this. Very good advice, esp. when a good handheld can be modified to do autorouting very successfully and is then extremely functional for both purposes.

I went the opposite way... I bought the specific unit I wanted for geocaching, then put the auto routing software on it as an extra. Been very, very happy with the result. The auto routing doesn't talk you through directions, but it does beep before a turn is coming up and then again right before you need to make the turn. It reroutes quickly when needed and the maps are as accurate as I could expect. It's worked great.

I have a very good gps for geocaching which is my primary need, so I don't have to compromise there.

I did this as well!

I think I am going to get a 400t. Atleast its on my birthday list which is in a month :D

Great choice. I have a CO 400T. It is outstanding for geocaching. I also think the CO/OR are the best handhelds for car navigation. While they are not as nice as GPS designed for a car (don't talk and have a smaller screen) they do a really great job. I also really like the ability to use the same GPS to give me street navigation to the cache and direct me off road to the cache.

The CO/OR both have profiles which allow you to easily make your GPS use the optium settings for the use it is currently being used for.

I have an OR 400t now but have 600 finds with a Nuvi 350 and it still gets me closer than the 400t

I think I am going to get a 400t. Atleast its on my birthday list which is in a month :D

Great choice. I have a CO 400T. It is outstanding for geocaching. I also think the CO/OR are the best handhelds for car navigation. While they are not as nice as GPS designed for a car (don't talk and have a smaller screen) they do a really great job. I also really like the ability to use the same GPS to give me street navigation to the cache and direct me off road to the cache.

The CO/OR both have profiles which allow you to easily make your GPS use the optium settings for the use it is currently being used for.

I have been using the Lowrance XOG for four weeks straight now it is a great unit I have never had a street navigator before thought I new all the roads, short cuts, back roads, of California and western Nevada I have found more with this little gem. I just got back from a 3 and a half day working trip and used the XOG for my navigation to 30 of my job sites from Bakersfield Ca. to Sacramento Ca. to Reno NV. to Mammoth Lakes Ca. to Ridgecrest Ca. then back to Bakersfield Ca. Caching all the way 155 finds out of 155.

The XOG has a nice size touch screen that works great, do not have to worry about buttons sticking.

Gets me within three feet of a cache without bouncing, every time. You need this when the cache is under a foot of snow. Make one three foot dia hole in the snow instead of a 10 to 15 foot dia hole. Works graet under under trees with thick snow covering them. Like up at Nordic, Ca.

What is even nicer is the back light is adjustable to three different settings bright for day time road navigation dim for night time diving. I like the size of the screen I do not have to use a magnify glass to see the letters and numbers of the waypoints. What Lowrance needs to make is a attachable handle to make it a hand held.

The rechargeable battery last 2 hours plus and can recharge in the car in between cache, nice.

The price for the Garmin Oregon 599.99 without street voice navigation.

The price for the Lowrance XOG 160.97 W/shipping and tax from walmart.com

Wow, time for beer thirty with louse change. 439.02 = 49 six packs of Sierra Nevada with tax and crv.

Want to party.

How well do the portible vehicle GPSs work for geocaching and is there a model you would sugest? Max price 200

Thanks

Dave

I have been using the Lowrance XOG for four weeks straight now it is a great unit I have never had a street navigator before thought I new all the roads, short cuts, back roads, of California and western Nevada I have found more with this little gem. I just got back from a 3 and a half day working trip and used the XOG for my navigation to 30 of my job sites from Bakersfield Ca. to Sacramento Ca. to Reno NV. to Mammoth Lakes Ca. to Ridgecrest Ca. then back to Bakersfield Ca. Caching all the way 155 finds out of 155.

The XOG has a nice size touch screen that works great, do not have to worry about buttons sticking.

Gets me within three feet of a cache without bouncing, every time. You need this when the cache is under a foot of snow. Make one three foot dia hole in the snow instead of a 10 to 15 foot dia hole. Works graet under under trees with thick snow covering them. Like up at Nordic, Ca.

What is even nicer is the back light is adjustable to three different settings bright for day time road navigation dim for night time diving. I like the size of the screen I do not have to use a magnify glass to see the letters and numbers of the waypoints. What Lowrance needs to make is a attachable handle to make it a hand held.

The rechargeable battery last 2 hours plus and can recharge in the car in between cache, nice.

The price for the Garmin Oregon 599.99 without street voice navigation.

The price for the Lowrance XOG 160.97 W/shipping and tax from walmart.com

Wow, time for beer thirty with louse change. 439.02 = 49 six packs of Sierra Nevada with tax and crv.

Want to party.

How well do the portible vehicle GPSs work for geocaching and is there a model you would sugest? Max price 200

Thanks

Dave

Yes! This is just what I wanted to hear! I've never done geocaching, but I think it will be fun - but I've been wanting a portable GPS to use on business travels -

Thanks for the recommendation!

Any other opinions on the Lowrance XOG?

We have been using a Magellan Crossover. Have been very happy with the GPS for vehicle use, I have upgraded the vehicle maps though. It has also been great for caching. It is much better than the Garmin Etrex Legend that we also have. The Etrex will get us in the 10 to 15 ft range but the crossover is usally within 5 ft. The cost may be higher than you wanted but it works well in both places. :D

Hi, yes I have the XOG, it is on sale at Cabelas for $149.00. It is a nice unit. I can get really close to the cache with it, and I really like the turn by turn detailed map that comes with the unit. Once you learn to find the cords on it it is really simple to use. My main complaint is the touch screen is very sensitive, but even if you touch the wrong thing it is easy to fix. That is my thoughts on it I know it is a big decision. I would recommend getting one at a place you can return it in a month or 3 like Cabelas or costco in case you just don't like it. Also you can send geo caches to it, using geobuddy.good luck have fun

Edited by highlandermike

I am using a Lowrance XOG the battery last from 2 to 2.5 hours it recharges in car also bought one of those cell phone rechargers so when away from the car I can boost the battery. Works great The XOG also loads the hint which is nice.

I got the Etrex Vista HCx for USB and SD card and compass

it's fine, so far, getting me to the cache.

but when arrived, it can't keep the GPS display facing north, might be cloud cover both days.

but the compass still worked fine.

thinking it through and going to ask my own question about it soon or post up notes about observations.