Frozen Cache

sarahbelle

I went to find one of my dad's caches today, I was desperate to get out on a geoadventure after a long cold spell. I made it to the site, and suppose maybe I deserve half a smiley for 'finding' the cache, but after trying for about 15 minutes to get it out, and realizing the sun was quickly setting, I finally gave up. It's a lock n lock sandwich container on its side in a hole in a dead tree. The container is surrounded mostly by snow/ice and some wood fragments. I was hoping I could unclip three of the sides and open it that way, but that thing will not budge.

Normally, this would not be a big deal, I'd just go back later when it warms up a little, but unfortunately while trying to get it out, I poked a hole in the bottom of the container. I've got a bottom here that I can replace it with, but my problem is how to get the cache out to fix it. It's supposed to get warmer by the weekend and I don't want any melted snow or anything to get in and mess up the cache. The only thing I could think of was to stick a hot water bottle in there for 5-10 minutes and see if that worked.

Anybody have any better ideas, or at least something I can use as a backup plan in case the hot water bottle doesn't work?

;)

You could try using this to heat up a small saw. (The saw only! Not the cache or anything holding it)

gas_torch.jpg

Pouring hot water around the outside of the cache might work, but if the ice is too thick and it doesn't release, you'll end up worse then when you began.

In lieu of that, try duct taping a baggie over the hole to keep out moisture. While not total protection, it can only help until a thaw arrives.

Edited by team moxiepup

Thanks for all the responses friends. I'm still trying to get hold of my dad, he was at work last night and again this morning, but if he's not free, I'll go without him. I was worried about trying the ice melt, as I thought it could harm the tree... then remembered it's dead anyway. I'll take some as a backup. Would it hurt deer? There's lots of deer tracks going right by the tree, although with myself and the two dogs visiting they might avoid the area for a while.

The hair dryer would probably be awesome. Unfortunately it's a little out of my price range... and would not likely arrive by this afternoon :lol:

I'll take some baggies and duct tape as well, just in case. Since the ice comes pretty much up to the hole in the cache, I'm not sure how well I'll be able to protect it that way, so I'll hope one of the other ideas works.

Thanks again :lol:

Just call 911 and report a suspicious package placed by a suspicious person. The bomb squad will be along shortly to free things up. :lol:

Jim

I agree. Or, alternatively, go to the tool rental department at a Home Depot or Lowes contractors/home construction supply store and rent a large blowtorch along with a large tank of propane, drive to the parking area, carry the tank and the blowtorch to the cache hide site, and melt the hell out of the darn stubborn stump, and then you can retrieve the cache, repair it, sign the log, and then return the blowtorch and tank to the rental department of the store!

This is exactly why you should always carry a knife...

And at the same time, this is exactly why I don't necessarily think that 'You MUST ALWAYS sign the log' mentality is flawed (This is my one exception to that rule). I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have somebody log that they found it, but it was frozen in place, than try to get it out and destroy the container

An air compressor and jack-hammer are normal tools of the trade when winter caching around these parts. :D

Seriously, though, I have to agree with the poster that said he'd rather someone log a find without signing the log than to risk damaging a plastic container by trying to get it out of the ice. Ammo boxes, however, seem to hold up very nicely to a well-placed kick or two.