Location Question

Mr.Moo

Hi Everyone! Near where I live (Sonoma County, California) there is a location where there used to be a brake plant that used asbestas (is that spelled right?) and they dumped it into the ground. Would this count for an Earthcache because it is something we need to make sure we don't do to the Earth? Any help would be great.

-Mr.Moo

Hi Everyone! Near where I live (Sonoma County, California) there is a location where there used to be a brake plant that used asbestas (is that spelled right?) and they dumped it into the ground. Would this count for an Earthcache because it is something we need to make sure we don't do to the Earth? Any help would be great.

-Mr.Moo

I don't think it would be good for Earthcaching. Just think of the possible dump sites all over the World. In the US alone, there must be thousands of dump sites, some contaminated and others less contaminated. All contaminate! What is the geological nature other than poisoning the Earth? I have to admit it's unique but I would never go to any dump site for an EC smiley.:D

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Might work depending on what you put into it...

Here are three examples of similar EarthCaches I have found:

The Most Radioactive Town in America

Centralia, The Burning Town

Love Canal, Superfund Birthplace

All three are Superfund Sites if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps.

- Rev Mike

Agreed - there are plenty of opportuntities for you to place an Earthcache - but if you want people to come to it -you need to do the research and ensure that it is of a good standard - otherwise it becomes a bit like those "pointless" lamp post caches that are really there just to let cachers increase their find numbers.

So think about this before creating another earthcache. The review process will help - and ask for an experienced Earthcacher (or this forum) for ideas. But don't give up - it certainly has the potential to be a decent earthcache. A lot depends on what you put into it.