Best Android geocaching app?

Patuxent

I've used GeoBeagle a couple of times now on my new HTC EVO android phone. Today I was having problems getting it to show the closest caches. I would have to go to a map, then list MY LOCATION, and then select caches from there. Otherwise it was just all over the place. Maybe there is a trick to this I don't know yet. I'll keep fiddling around with it.

Happy Caching!

Snarly Old Man

has anyone tried (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak)? i have been using geobeagle but the compass never seems to be all that accurate. i have seen (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) in the market but haven't heard much about it? any thoughts?

i have been using geobeagle but the compass never seems to be all that accurate.

Not sure why the compass is flaking out on you, but GeoBeagle can use the "GPS Status" app instead of its built in compass app to help you find locate the cache (install GPS Status, in GeoBeagle click Menu / Navigate, then select "Radar".)

Let me know if that works better for you.

--Steve (GeoBeagle developer)

I am looking at getting one or more apps. the ones i have in mind are geobeagle, geORG, geoFun, and or Find geo's.

My favorite is GeOrg as it handles large gpx files, support search and sort and has a nice collection of features. Helps that it doesn't seem to bother Groundspeak.

I like GeoBeagle and GeoHunter, but neither supports search and sort. CacheMate is nice, supporting search and sort, but lacks some of the other features of GeoBeagle/GeoHunter.

[Reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator]

The Groundspeak geocaching app will be out 'soon' too, we're told.

Edited by Keystone

I have seen on the main page of geocaching.com that they are to release a new app for the android OS in the 2nd quarter of 2010. That time ends in 3 days. I've looked around the forums and haven't seen this mentioned yet. I've seen other apps mentioned but not the one due in a few days.

Do they still plan on releasing this app on time? (the next 3 days?)

Also... does anyone know what the name of this app will be and will it be free?

Any info on this is greatly appreciated!

I have seen on the main page of geocaching.com that they are to release a new app for the android OS in the 2nd quarter of 2010. That time ends in 3 days. I've looked around the forums and haven't seen this mentioned yet. I've seen other apps mentioned but not the one due in a few days.

Do they still plan on releasing this app on time? (the next 3 days?)

Also... does anyone know what the name of this app will be and will it be free?

Any info on this is greatly appreciated!

The official iPhone app is $9.99. I assume that the Android app would be similar.

I see the webpage will be offline for a while tomorrow. Maybe for the big announcement that the long awaited android app is available? Hope so!!

NOT!!! I was hoping so too. End of 2nd quarter and come and gone.

Latest official word is 3-4 more weeks.

I see the webpage will be offline for a while tomorrow. Maybe for the big announcement that the long awaited android app is available? Hope so!!

NOT!!! I was hoping so too. End of 2nd quarter and come and gone.

Latest official word is 3-4 more weeks.

This has become really annoying. I'm beginning to wonder what the relationship is between Groundspeak and Apple. They've had a huge advertisement on the home page for the longest time. I've had to click through that ad to get to the one line mention of the arrival of the Android app. I haven't seen any further official information on why the app is now over 3 months later than promised and still not available. When I wrote to Groundspeak over 6 months ago the reply I got was that this is not a priority. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if that has something to do with a relationship with Apple (if there is one).

I'm really thinking of not renewing my premium membership if there is nothing soon. Really frustrated.

This has become really annoying. I'm beginning to wonder what the relationship is between Groundspeak and Apple. They've had a huge advertisement on the home page for the longest time. I've had to click through that ad to get to the one line mention of the arrival of the Android app. I haven't seen any further official information on why the app is now over 3 months later than promised and still not available. When I wrote to Groundspeak over 6 months ago the reply I got was that this is not a priority. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if that has something to do with a relationship with Apple (if there is one).

I'm really thinking of not renewing my premium membership if there is nothing soon. Really frustrated.

You will find fairly frequent updates if you look in the right places, like here. You won't find official status reports in this thread because the topic here is "Best Android geocaching app."

There have also been past postings where Groundspeak Lackeys have laughed at and denied the Apple conspiracy theory, explaining that they are developers trying to post stuff in the iTunes store just like everyone else.

I would invite those who are disappointed in this latest beta testing delay to post (politely) in the thread I linked, so that it will be read by the appropriate Lackeys. Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic.

You will find fairly frequent updates if you look in the right places, like here. You won't find official status reports in this thread because the topic here is "Best Android geocaching app."

There have also been past postings where Groundspeak Lackeys have laughed at and denied the Apple conspiracy theory, explaining that they are developers trying to post stuff in the iTunes store just like everyone else.

I would invite those who are disappointed in this latest beta testing delay to post (politely) in the thread I linked, so that it will be read by the appropriate Lackeys. Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic.

The problem is, even though they can prohibit discussion of the "app that will not be named", they need to make the "official" app worth the asking price. Rather than the head in the sand mentality, someone should have worked with a certain developer and his free app. Just ignore it, and it will go away?

PS: The Android app discussion never should have been started in the iPhone sub forum, thats why noone can find it.

Edited by bobdammit

I suggest instead that we respect the site's wish to not use their resources to promote apps they feel violate the TOU that you agrreed to. That doesn't mean inventing cute ways around the automated ban of the app's name or otherwise making like difficult for the moderators asked to help enforce this (that includes me....) It means just plain not talking about it.

I suggest instead that we respect the site's wish to not use their resources to promote apps they feel violate the TOU that you agrreed to. That doesn't mean inventing cute ways around the automated ban of the app's name or otherwise making like difficult for the moderators asked to help enforce this (that includes me....) It means just plain not talking about it.

Yeah...... I do, sincerely, have great respect for you, Robert, and appreciate and respect the people of Groundspeak. Honest. Good people, earning a reasonable income from our little game/sport. Cool. Thumbs up.

My problem is that geocaching is more than just Groundspeak. It's us, the million plus people that make it all happen. So, when Groundspeak behaves in a way that fails to recognize that geocaching is 'owned' by us too I'm offended. I have asked respectfully that Groundspeak develop a public API for mobile apps. I will continue to do so. The API can be designed in such a way that it protects their, very reasonable, business model and allows cachers to make use of the new mobile technology. The failure to create a public API creates a situation where apps like the one that causes problems are widely used.

Please.... will someone at Grounspeak pay attention! This problem is not going to go away by forbidding a single app.

Edited by JustMike

Yeah...... I do, sincerely, have great respect for you, Robert, and appreciate and respect the people of Groundspeak. Honest. Good people, earning a reasonable income from our little game/sport. Cool. Thumbs up.

My problem is that geocaching is more than just Groundspeak. It's us, the million plus people that make it all happen. So, when Groundspeak behaves in a way that fails to recognize that geocaching is 'owned' by us too I'm offended. I have asked respectfully that Groundspeak develop a public API for mobile apps. I will continue to do so. The API can be designed in such a way that it protects their, very reasonable, business model and allows cachers to make use of the new mobile technology. The failure to create a public API creates a situation where apps like the one that causes problems are widely used.

Please.... will someone at Grounspeak pay attention! This problem is not going to go away by forbidding a single app.

Excellent! Very well said. It is frustrating that Groundspeak is overly paternal and protective of the data the WE provide for them. I feel I have contributed to their success by placing caches and would like more openness so that others may think of more creative uses of that data to extend the sport. Facebook took off exponentially with the aid of an API that allowed developers access to user-inputted data to create innovative apps and extensions. Imagine a web world with mashups of geocaches with other social activities... it can only help Groundspeak in the end if they weren't so short-sighted or profit motivated.

Have to agree with Bobdammit. Why would I have looked for an Android app in the forum title "Geocaching for iphone"??? I don't have an iphone, keystone.

AND there are not fairly frequent updates. AND why do you think there are even conspiracy theorists out there? Could it be the big ever present iphone ad on the homepage with the one line mention of the upcoming android app that in order to read I have to click through the iphone ad? Or maybe it's the fact that the "right place" to look for the latest information on the upcoming android app is in the forum with the misleading title mentioned above.

Of course, I want to think the best of Groundspeak....and after all, this is all about caching and having fun. But this has become really frustrating for those of us anticipating an easy (fewer steps than geobeagle), legal app (that I'm more than willing to pay for, by the way). I wonder what my boss would say if I delivered a product more than 3 months after I said I would have it?

So a little more direct communication is what we're really looking for. And smug remarks from you sure don't help the situation.

I'm really confused about why a bunch of apps that rehash data from the website are OK but one app that rehashes data from the website isn't.

Getting back on topic, has anyone tried Cacher? It sounds a bit different.

Oh, and why is stuff missing from my market? I'm trying to get the bcaching connector for Georg.

Edited by insx

There is already an API. It was stated quite clearly that there are no plans on making it public.

From the feedback site:

Nikhil Singhal, Official Rep, replied 5 days ago

We have been toying with the idea of API's for general public to tap into. Keep watching and do share your feedback and thoughts.

No plans, maybe, but at least they are toying.

Without wishing to be silly - if I search Market for geocaching I get (currently) half a dozen caching apps listed, both free and paid for. Can someone find some way to let us know which one, exactly, is "the app that shall not be named".

And who's beta testing the GC app? On which devices? And will this cover all screen sizes?

And who's beta testing the GC app? On which devices? And will this cover all screen sizes?

No answers? Or will GS release a general beta for evaluation before the full version comes out?

I have to ask because I use an HTC Tattoo, and a lot of apps aren't officially available because of the smaller screen size. So, if my phone's not going to be supported I'd like to know soonish so I can stop holding my breath :(:(

No answers? Or will GS release a general beta for evaluation before the full version comes out?

I have to ask because I use an HTC Tattoo, and a lot of apps aren't officially available because of the smaller screen size. So, if my phone's not going to be supported I'd like to know soonish so I can stop holding my breath :wacko::signalviolin:

According to the powers that be (in a post linked somewhere no one can ever find), They have a closed beta of 100 testers. No mention of hardware configurations, OS versions, screen resolutions, etc. I never started holding my breath. :(

Most private beta tests involve non-disclosure agreements. That's why people in the beta aren't allowed to pre-announce what the app may or may not have.

And I repeat from my July 2 post: I suggest instead that we respect the site's wish to not use their resources to promote apps they feel violate the TOU that you agrreed to. That doesn't mean inventing cute ways around the automated ban of the app's name or otherwise making like difficult for the moderators asked to help enforce this (that includes me....) It means just plain not talking about it.

According to the powers that be (in a post linked somewhere no one can ever find), They have a closed beta of 100 testers. No mention of hardware configurations, OS versions, screen resolutions, etc. I never started holding my breath. :rolleyes:

There appears to be a pretty solid representation of the different versions of phones and OS's in the beta, including custom ROMs such as Ultimate Droid, etc.

Did you happen to notice the post just 2 posts above yours? There are very good reasons why Groundspeak doesn't (and shouldn't) tolerate the discussion of the offending app on these forums.

[ Editedy by moderator. Thanx for the support, but that extends to quoting offending posts before they can be nuked, too. ]

Edited by robertlipe

Having tried most of the apps, I don't agree that any app is way better than all the others. I've settled on GeOrg for now. It's just missing the live search for nearest caches that it's not allowed to do. It's generally no problem to load up GPS files for where I'm going to be. I'm not a travelling salesman or anything.

As for the official app, I spoke with the lead developer for the app at GeoWoodstock. He told me that the app is still in dev, and would be out within a month... he hoped. :)

I do hope they get it out soon, but what worries me now is the functionality. The app that should not be named is getting better and better, and while I don't use it, (i generally use geobeagle) there are a lot of people who will be disappointed if the official app can't do all that certain other apps can.

What gives me hope is that people seem to be happy with the official iPhone app, so as long as it is equivalent, we should be fine. Personally I will be happy when I can:

- Open the app

- See a list of local caches

- See the local caches on a live map view

- Select a cache and see the details, hints and logs

- Log the cache from the app once found.

Pretty simple really. Geobeagle does most of these things (especially when paired with Find Geocaches) but it is just too slow and convoluted. Find Geocaches takes too long to query and load, and the logging from geobeagle has never felt right with the text message logging process, so I just do it when I get home.

Other bonus things I really want:

- Ability to save pocket queries for offline use, even better if easily done through the UI

- Ability to access my account through the app, i.e. lists of found caches, TB's, Friends

- Ability to log and manage TB's through the app

- Ability to query for caches in other locations and save them for offline viewing (probably just through pocket queries?)

- Ability to upload photos as part of logging a cache.

Droid: I suspect I'm probably using the "shall not be named" app.

My 2c:

I'm happy to try out the "official" Groundspeak app once it is released. Hopefully, they'll have a free trial/ad-based version that I can play with without committing $10. I have no problem at all paying for the official app, especially if it's $10 like the iPhone version. Between swag items, coins for collecting and release and placing caches myself (5 thus far) I've spent easily $100-150 on Geocaching in the past 6 months. I won't mind spending an extra $10.

BUT SINCE THERE IS NO Groundspeak APP RIGHT NOW:

I will continue to use what I feel is the best app on the Droid platform, "authorized" or not. Groundspeak has given me no alternative. The app I use has live scrolling maps, Google map integration (including vehicle "take the next left" navigation), find nearest, trackables view, logging, offlining on the fly (no need for GPXs), compass, excellent radar integration with GPS status, and more. In fact, there's very little that I can do on the main web site that I can't do on the fly on my Droid. This is on a "free" application.

Should the "official" app, once released, do everything or close to everything my current app can do, is stable, and is as easy to use as the "rogue" app, then I will gladly pay for and use it. On the whole, I support and appreciate Groundspeak and have no problem giving them my money for a quality and effective product. If not, I'll return it and wait for "version 2", just as I would with any other piece of software. In that situation: why pay good money for a mediocre product when the "free" one would be so much better?

As an ex-software engineer, I understand that sometimes timetables get pushed and sometimes it's not possible to release an app on time as promised. I'm willing to wait a bit longer if the "official" app is really going to be a great, high quality product. I look forward to seeing Groundspeak's belated entry into the Android world.

Groundspeak has given me no alternative.
Why must Groundspeak be the one to give you an alternative to an app that violates their TOU by scraping their site?

There are several free apps already available that respect Groundspeak's TOU. Many find them very useful. The unauthorized application is hardly the only option.

Why must Groundspeak be the one to give you an alternative to an app that violates their TOU by scraping their site?

There are several free apps already available that respect Groundspeak's TOU. Many find them very useful. The unauthorized application is hardly the only option.

Choice is good. Well, choice is good for consumers and bad for providers. Some consumers/geocachers like to do live searches. Some prefer to use PQs. Choice. For those that like to depend on live searches one of the apps that Groundspeak feels violates the TOU are a possible choice. For those that prefer to use PQs there are more choices, none (I think) cause any tummy troubles for the Frog in Seattle.

Personally, I prefer to use PQs. Rarely do I ever just randomly show up at a location at start caching. Instead, I plan trips with a focus on a specific location or specific caches. It's nice that my preferred caching style allows me to avoid live searches -- since that bothers Groundspeak and because I frequently cache where there is no cell coverage -- but I do this because it's the way I like to cache.

Really, this is a silly issue. Pick the app you like and go caching! Get outside. Get some dirt on your shoes. Have fun!

From what I can gather. GeoBeagle and Bcache really only work for premium members.

Which feels rather discriminatory.

Can't do pocket queries unless you are PM. Which, if you're a newbie (like me) with a budget (like me), is a downer.

You can download cache data without being a PM and, using a PC tool like GSAK (very cool, it's even free to try) you can create GPX files. Those GPX files can then loaded into GeoBeagle/etc. You basically create a GPX file rather than downloading it via a PQ. Works great. No PM/PQ/Bcache required.

From what I can gather. GeoBeagle and Bcache really only work for premium members.

Which feels rather discriminatory.

Can't do pocket queries unless you are PM. Which, if you're a newbie (like me) with a budget (like me), is a downer.

You can download cache data without being a PM and, using a PC tool like GSAK (very cool, it's even free to try) you can create GPX files. Those GPX files can then loaded into GeoBeagle/etc. You basically create a GPX file rather than downloading it via a PQ. Works great. No PM/PQ/Bcache required.

I'm a Mac user with Droid phone, so most of those acronyms went over my head. :P

And why only free apps? There are several inexpensive apps also that allow you to load GPX for premium members and LOC files for others.