Best Android geocaching app?

Patuxent

:) Much as I hate to say it it's time to go to Iphone ....

Geocachers aren't cool enough to own iPhones. :)

I was hoping Groundspeak would come back and say don't worry we will be releasing one on a given date. Don't get me wrong I love the Android but don't have time to faf, so when I am away from home would like to say what's around here and do a quick bit of caching, there is an application for the Android who's name cannot be spoken but that is so slow it's a pain to use, to preload all of the UK caches would take huge amount of time and quickly go out of date, plus good pub guide makes it difficult to resist. They say the Devil always has the best music, in this case true

Edited by naturesbyte

Readers are reminded to keep on topic. This is a thread for discussing (legal) Android geocaching applications. The thread veers off topic each time there is a complaint about the single application which Groundspeak asks that the community not discuss, because of the serious nature of that app's TOU violations.

If all references are removed regarding this app how do we know what we can't talk about? :)

:) Much as I hate to say it it's time to go to Iphone ....

Geocachers aren't cool enough to own iPhones. :)

I was hoping Groundspeak would come back and say don't worry we will be releasing one on a given date. Don't get me wrong I love the Android but don't have time to faf, so when I am away from home would like to say what's around here and do a quick bit of caching, there is an application for the Android who's name cannot be spoken but that is so slow it's a pain to use, to preload all of the UK caches would take huge amount of time and quickly go out of date, plus good pub guide makes it difficult to resist. They say the Devil always has the best music, in this case true

OOPs, didn't notice that you are from the UK. I was trying to refer to and ad that played here in the US

Microsoft's "I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person" ad tries to kick Apple where it hurts

I guess my opinion is that "a Groundspeak brand on an app will make it better" almost as absurd as PC users are not cool.

The thing I like about Android is that anyone can write an app. Apps with published source, like GeoBeagle, can easily be changed if you don't like it.

I've recently spent some time looking at how well the various Android geocaching apps handle very large gpx data sets. This is useful for a few reasons. 1) it avoids Groundspeak TOU problems, 2) it allows off-line use, and 3) with a very large data set in one's Android-based phone there is no need for live searches (see reasons 1 and 2). Once a week, for example, load up your phone with a very large data set and then wherever you go there's a good chance you have the local geocache data.

CacheMate can handle about 3000 caches, but attempts to use data sets of 12000 and 18000 fail. The app stops functioning and Force Closes. Clearly, this pushes the app beyond what it was designed to do.

GeoBeagle is working well with a data set of 18800 waypoints (All traditional Washington state caches and the 1000 mystery/puzzle caches near my home). While GeoBeagle runs with this large data set, loading that large data set is a pain. It took about an hour for GeoBeagle to parse the gpx file into 1880 html files. Seems like this could be done much faster on a PC and the html files could then be copied directly to the SD card, but I've not looked into this. A GSAK macro for this purpose would rock.

I plan to try GeOrg and Geooh with the same data set as I have time. I assume the other GeoBeagle-based apps would behave like GeoBeagle.

So, there's an approach to consider. Rather than live searches, and the difficulties that brings, perhaps loading large data sets would be a good alternative in some cases. If anyone has any feedback on this approach please pass it along to the group. Better apps for this purpose? Useful GSAK/PC apps? Thanks!

I've recently spent some time looking at how well the various Android geocaching apps handle very large gpx data sets. This is useful for a few reasons. 1) it avoids Groundspeak TOU problems, 2) it allows off-line use, and 3) with a very large data set in one's Android-based phone there is no need for live searches (see reasons 1 and 2). Once a week, for example, load up your phone with a very large data set and then wherever you go there's a good chance you have the local geocache data.

CacheMate can handle about 3000 caches, but attempts to use data sets of 12000 and 18000 fail. The app stops functioning and Force Closes. Clearly, this pushes the app beyond what it was designed to do.

GeoBeagle is working well with a data set of 18800 waypoints (All traditional Washington state caches and the 1000 mystery/puzzle caches near my home). While GeoBeagle runs with this large data set, loading that large data set is a pain. It took about an hour for GeoBeagle to parse the gpx file into 1880 html files. Seems like this could be done much faster on a PC and the html files could then be copied directly to the SD card, but I've not looked into this. A GSAK macro for this purpose would rock.

I plan to try GeOrg and Geooh with the same data set as I have time. I assume the other GeoBeagle-based apps would behave like GeoBeagle.

So, there's an approach to consider. Rather than live searches, and the difficulties that brings, perhaps loading large data sets would be a good alternative in some cases. If anyone has any feedback on this approach please pass it along to the group. Better apps for this purpose? Useful GSAK/PC apps? Thanks!

LOL... honestly that sounds like driving an 18-wheeler gas tanker just so you can have the option to travel anywhere in the US without filling up. How many MB of data is in a huge GPX file like that? How long to sort or filter? How about scrolling through the list? Mapping so many data points on Google Maps? At some point Android starts to throw up and slow down.

Maybe I cache differently, but I prefer to plan my caching days and create multiple pocket queries. On those rare times I want to ad-hoc cache I will use a forbidden app, but I find it soooo slow and often crashes on me. Unlike Geobeagle with one data set, Geooh lets me use multiple stored files so I can separate them into separate cities, separate caching trips, etc. If I know I am headed for a particular area, it doesn't take long to create a PQ to load up. I prefer having separate smaller files that are easier to manage... sorting/filtering is fast... scrolling quick... show all caches on a map... delete individual caches or whole files.

I guess it's all how you learn to cache or use a particular app... we get stuck thinking one-dimensionally and may miss other ways to skin a cat.

LOL... honestly that sounds like driving an 18-wheeler gas tanker just so you can have the option to travel anywhere in the US without filling up. How many MB of data is in a huge GPX file like that? How long to sort or filter? How about scrolling through the list? Mapping so many data points on Google Maps? At some point Android starts to throw up and slow down.

The tanker truck analogy breaks down in that you're already driving the tanker truck when you have a device in your hot little hands that can perform the tanker truck role. Actually using the tanker truck doesn't add additional cost.

By default, GeoBeagle only shows a small number of caches in the 'nearest' list so the cache list is quite easy to work with. You can request that GeoBeagle show all caches in the DB, which results in a tedious experience with 18000 entries. The Google map display works perfectly. Also, GeoBeagle allows multiple DBs so I suspect one could pretty easily manage more than 18000 waypoints (if you had days to download them and somehow managed to generate that many PQs).

This exercise was really an attempt to see how limiting it is to skip live searches since they cause TOU problems and because sometimes cell coverage is a problem. If GeoBeagle can handle a DB with 18000 entries it can clearly handle smaller, more sane data sets so, as you point out, with a small amount of planning one doesn't need live search capability. And, being able to load a very large data set allows greater flexibility. One doesn't need to precisely plan a route/etc. Just load up thousands of caches over a broad region and go. Easier than ensuring you have collected just the right PQs.

Edited by JustMike

:D Much as I hate to say it it's time to go to Iphone ....

Geocachers aren't cool enough to own iPhones. :D

OOPs, didn't notice that you are from the UK. I was trying to refer to and ad that played here in the US

Microsoft's "I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person" ad tries to kick Apple where it hurts

I guess my opinion is that "a Groundspeak brand on an app will make it better" almost as absurd as PC users are not cool.

The thing I like about Android is that anyone can write an app. Apps with published source, like GeoBeagle, can easily be changed if you don't like it.

The ad is unintentionally funny to British eyes which is why I guess we didn't get exposed to it :D , IMHO currently the problem with Android Applications for Geocaching is that (apart from the app whos name can not be spoken) they all are just aping standard GPS systems and don't leverage the massive potential of the device, the differentiator would be to enable the Android to retrieve, locate and enable direct recording of geocaches thereby simplifying the whole process and reducing the amount of time and technology involved, this would be worth a subscription for this service from me over and above my premier membership. I love my Android but not the complete lack of mainstream commercial applications which seem to have congregated to the Iphone, as an aside I could never be described as cool, the word would have to be redfined before I qualified :)

My problem is - I like to look up caches on the fly. If I'm at a lunch break (or on errands), I get this thought..."I wonder if there are any quick caches around here." That's when pre-planning and pre-loading doesn't work too well for me. I've got a habit of picking up my Droid and caching on a whim.

You know...if "the app that shall not be named" can easily pull info off the geocaching website, seems like it'd be easy for there to be an "official" app that does the same thing, but with the GC logo all over it. I still say they ought to release what they have and tweak it as it goes and as they get comments on it. If it was far enough along to mention it a good while back, then I'm sure it's far enough along to release the beta version. WHAT is the hold up??? :)

My current preferred 'offline' tool is Geohunter (based on Geobeagle). It allows many caches to be stored (I have 5000) as well as manually entering cache details, albeit in a clunky fashion. Import from ZIP/GPK/LOC supported

It also supports Google Navigation and the compass / radar is basic but it works.

Oh, and it's free :-)

For caching on the fly, I use GeoBeagle. It links to the geocaching.com search page, based on my current coordinates. Using the Android browser, I view the cache page(s) and choose a nearby cache. From the cache page, I select the Google Maps link. GeoBeagle registers itself for Google Maps links, and the browser offers to display the Google Maps link in GeoBeagle (among other options). GeoBeagle gets the coordinates and GCxxxxx number from the Google Maps link. I can view the cache info in the Android browser, and I can find the cache and log field notes with GeoBeagle. And I don't violate the geocaching.com TOU.

If I have time to plan, then I load a PQ and I've got all the cache info right there in GeoBeagle.

I decided not to wait. Instead I added code to an existing application, OpenGPX. I made the GPX importer faster, and the other developer on the project has a PC (Java, so Mac, Linux, whatever) app that can also do the conversion using your powerful computer instead. It should be easy to add that to a GSAK macro, in fact, I might sit down and do that at some point if nobody else has.

More interesting, and as close as I can get to the app that shall not be named, is BCaching.com support. This requires premium member status as you need PQs, but GSAK users probably already pay for access to that stuff. It allows live search, and field notes directly from your Android device. There's even a really nifty (I think so anyway, but I'm biased) advanced search utility. Want to find only traditional, large size caches with difficulty between 2 and 4 and terrain between 1 and 3? No problem. :rolleyes:

And if you want to cache offline, do your query, tell it to save to the local database, and you no longer need internet access. Field notes can be saved locally and uploaded in a batch later as well.

Oh, make sure you sign up on BCaching.com and upload some PQs before trying to use this. There are details over on the BCaching.com site and forums for how to get that part set up.

As the name implies, OpenGPX is open source and free on the Android Market. You will also probably want CompassNavi, also free and on the market. I even talked the "Find Geocaches" guy into adding the ability to launch OpenGPX in the latest version. :D You only get an LOC file that way, but it's better than nothing if you can't get details any other way.

Oh, Google Maps and Navigation are fully supported. There's even support for OpenStreetMap in there, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Anyway, I think it's nice. If you have any questions or bug reports, PM or post in this thread and I'll see what I can do.

Edited by kb7sei

I decided not to wait. Instead I added code to an existing application, OpenGPX. I made the GPX importer faster, and the other developer on the project has a PC (Java, so Mac, Linux, whatever) app that can also do the conversion using your powerful computer instead. It should be easy to add that to a GSAK macro, in fact, I might sit down and do that at some point if nobody else has.

Lots of nice features/ideas outlined in your note. I found the web page for OpenGPX (http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengpx/) and am playing with the PC DB manager. Looks like this could be a great app.

Edited by JustMike

For caching on the fly, I use GeoBeagle. It links to the geocaching.com search page, based on my current coordinates. Using the Android browser, I view the cache page(s) and choose a nearby cache. From the cache page, I select the Google Maps link. GeoBeagle registers itself for Google Maps links, and the browser offers to display the Google Maps link in GeoBeagle (among other options). GeoBeagle gets the coordinates and GCxxxxx number from the Google Maps link. I can view the cache info in the Android browser, and I can find the cache and log field notes with GeoBeagle. And I don't violate the geocaching.com TOU.

All the more ridiculous that "the app whose name shall not be mentioned" is naughty when it basically does the same... with the user making the same clicks/interactions and does it all in one nice package (so I've heard). But since I'm a good little boy, I will eat my Soylent Green and eagerly wait for the official Android app... and hope that it IS the "Best" and not just the "Best approved" Android geocaching app". So far all the rest have not been the best.

If I have time to plan, then I load a PQ and I've got all the cache info right there in GeoBeagle.

I just tried Geobeagle on my HTC Desire, i have a pretty poor gprs connection at the moment and after 30mins of trying i have FINALLY managed to get the cache and google maps up, but it's unworkable. And then it wants to install another app Radar? it's just so convoluted and complicated.

I'm thinking of giving up on anything official or otherwise and just using my N86 and Trimbles Navigator, because that just works.

I've tried many of the apps currently available and just can't get excited about any of them. I want an app that works as close to the way BeeLine GPS does on my Win Mobile 2003 device. Am I the only one that used that program?

Try my Geocaching Keyboard on the Android Market with the apps, it helps insert common geocaching acronyms into apps that let you log from the field quickly... you can then edit/add on to them later... I've found it helps a lot... If you have any requests/comments, etc about it let me know. Just in case you'd like to use barcode scanner...

30432_446559989545_640294545_5804869_1594818_n.jpg

Edited by FitzgeraldFamily

I just tried Geobeagle on my HTC Desire, i have a pretty poor gprs connection at the moment and after 30mins of trying i have FINALLY managed to get the cache and google maps up, but it's unworkable. And then it wants to install another app Radar? it's just so convoluted and complicated.

I'm thinking of giving up on anything official or otherwise and just using my N86 and Trimbles Navigator, because that just works.

I have used GeoBeagle on a Droid a few times and found it workable so perhaps the GPSr in the Desire is not as good as the Droid.

I've tried many of the apps currently available and just can't get excited about any of them. I want an app that works as close to the way BeeLine GPS does on my Win Mobile 2003 device. Am I the only one that used that program?

The Android geocaching apps are fairly immature so perhaps you will find them better in time. Just curious, what features does BeeLine provide that you'd like to see in an Adroid app? (I'm not developing Android apps, just curious).

My current preferred 'offline' tool is Geohunter (based on Geobeagle). It allows many caches to be stored (I have 5000) as well as manually entering cache details, albeit in a clunky fashion. Import from ZIP/GPK/LOC supported

It also supports Google Navigation and the compass / radar is basic but it works.

Oh, and it's free :-)

Have you found a way to search for a specific cache in GeoBeagle/GeoHunter? It's fine to be able to load 5000 caches, but one needs to be able to search and sort that big list and I don't see a way to do that. Perhaps I'm overlooking it, however.

I have found that CacheMate and GeOrg allow one to search and sort. CacheMate can't seem to handle large lists, but GeOrg does and can have multiple large DBs so is presently making my tail wag.

The Android geocaching apps are fairly immature so perhaps you will find them better in time. Just curious, what features does BeeLine provide that you'd like to see in an Adroid app? (I'm not developing Android apps, just curious).

I like to search for caches on the map page instead of the radar page and, except for the fact that BeeLine has no maps, its map page is great. It lets you zoom in really far and displays and saves the track you're making (rabbit trails), which lets me map out trails in parks so that when I go back to search for another cache I can use the trail for guidance. I've got saved kml/trk files for every major park I go to.

It also has a readout at the bottom that you can configure to be just about anything you want - I use distance to cache, speed, bearing. You can also edit all the fields - location/notes/found logs.

I guess mostly, it's that BeeLine does everything I want, and of the apps I've found, they all do just some of them, so I have to keep several and switch between them.

I downloaded GeOrg today and took it out for a test drive. It does almost everything I need, including multiple cache databases and navigating in map mode. It got me close to GZ, but I had a hard time with the last few feet. Every app I had pointed a different direction to GZ. All were using the same gps/compass, so I'm pretty confused about why that would be.

There are still a few things I wish GeOrg ahd:

1. On-road nav to a cache doesn't use Google Nav, so there's no voice navigation. On the other hand, it does show all the caches on the map, where apps that use Google Nav only show the 1 cache you're driving to, so that's a plus

2. It uses Google maps but for some reason doesn't support pinch to zoom.

3. It doesn't store/display tracks

I think I've found my app. If I need to use voice nav to a cache I'll fire up GeoBeagle

I've tried to start GeoBeagle on my new 500GB Archos 5 Internet Tablet running Android 1.7.99 but all I get is a pop-up saying Sorry. The application GeoBeagle (process com.google.code.geobeagle) has stopped unexpectedly. Try again.

The Archos is a bit of a stranger in the Android market. It does not com with a mobile comms chip (so apps that use the IMEI fail anyway), has a screensize of 800x480 pixels (or 480x800 in portrait mode) and does not come with a SD-Card slot (so apps that look for the folder \sdcard fail also).

My iPhone 3G is falling apart and I've had it with Apple's policy. So no more iPhone for me. But I like the Geocaching iPhone app very much... :rolleyes:

I've been a Win Mobile Cachemate user for quite a while and was a happy customer. Now that I'm on the T-Mobile G1, I see that there are two potential replacements on the Android platform: Geocacher ($15) and Geodroid ($9.99, but free demo available).

I've used GeoBeagle, but it just doesn't provide the database capabilities that Cachemate did. Geocacher and Geodroid do but not in quite the elegant fashion as Cachemate. Until an Android Cachemate is published, do you have an opinion on Geocacher vs. Geodroid? I've tried out both and haven't made up my mind yet.

I compared GoeBeagle to my Garmin this past weekend. The the phone did as well as the GPS. I am running GeoBeagle on an HTC Droid Eris running Androind 2.1. It did not do as well before Verison pushed the new version to my phone.

I've tried to start GeoBeagle on my new 500GB Archos 5 Internet Tablet running Android 1.7.99 but all I get is a pop-up saying Sorry. The application GeoBeagle (process com.google.code.geobeagle) has stopped unexpectedly. Try again.

The Archos is a bit of a stranger in the Android market. It does not com with a mobile comms chip (so apps that use the IMEI fail anyway), has a screensize of 800x480 pixels (or 480x800 in portrait mode) and does not come with a SD-Card slot (so apps that look for the folder \sdcard fail also).

My iPhone 3G is falling apart and I've had it with Apple's policy. So no more iPhone for me. But I like the Geocaching iPhone app very much... :)

The lack of sdcard is the reason for your troubles with Geobeagle. It syncs with .gpx and .zip files that contain .gpx files in your /sdcard/download/ directory and also creates a /sdcard/GeoBeagle directory. I'm really surprised that that device, at the very least, doesn't have a /sdcard directory created for applications to use.

The lack of sdcard is the reason for your troubles with Geobeagle. It syncs with .gpx and .zip files that contain .gpx files in your /sdcard/download/ directory and also creates a /sdcard/GeoBeagle directory. I'm really surprised that that device, at the very least, doesn't have a /sdcard directory created for applications to use.

I'm aware of the fact the folder is missing but there is something structural developers have to deal with. The Archos 5H is the only non-mobile phone device using Android. But it has a lot of potential. I also had some apps that needed an IMEI number but the Archos doesn't have any mobile phone capabilities. The developers aim for the larger part of the market but don't take care of other applications for the Android OS. Over time this will be a great loss for a nice platform.

I'm aware of the fact the folder is missing but there is something structural developers have to deal with. The Archos 5H is the only non-mobile phone device using Android. But it has a lot of potential. I also had some apps that needed an IMEI number but the Archos doesn't have any mobile phone capabilities. The developers aim for the larger part of the market but don't take care of other applications for the Android OS. Over time this will be a great loss for a nice platform.

The new Google TV is reportedly using Android so there could be many future Android platforms that are not mobile phones. But I rather doubt anyone will use a Google TV to geocache.

Confession: I had to google Archos 5H to figure out that it's a tablet device. Looks like there's a file manger on this device. Can you create /sdcard directory with that file manager?

The new Google TV is reportedly using Android so there could be many future Android platforms that are not mobile phones. But I rather doubt anyone will use a Google TV to geocache.

Confession: I had to google Archos 5H to figure out that it's a tablet device. Looks like there's a file manger on this device. Can you create /sdcard directory with that file manager?

LOL Would be funny geocaching while watching TV. :ph34r:

I've already tried by creating a \sdcard folder but without any luck. Also rebooted to the original Android OS and created a \sdcard folder in the root of the Android OS file structure. But that didn't solve the problem either. :rolleyes:

I stumbled upon a copy of Geocache Navigator for Android but couldn't find any information about it on their website. It seems to work well in the few minutes I have been playing with it. I'm curious if they are waiting to release it until after the Groundspeak application has been released. I'll compare it to my friends Blackberry version later tonight and report back.

Rob

(leannsv)

Edited by LeannSV

Geocache Navigator Android

Trimble's app works well and I like the clean interface. It's pretty quick about pulling the information from the internet in real time. Saving caches works well also. It would be nice if the final version had a connection with

Google Maps/Navigation. We'll see. Here are some screenies.

Rob

navigator1.pngnavigator2.png

navigator3.pngnavigator4.png

navigator5.png

Geocache Navigator Android

Trimble's app works well and I like the clean interface. It's pretty quick about pulling the information from the internet in real time. Saving caches works well also. It would be nice if the final version had a connection with

Google Maps/Navigation. We'll see. Here are some screenies.

Rob

navigator1.pngnavigator2.png

navigator3.pngnavigator4.png

navigator5.png

AWESOME!

Where on Earth did you find this?

I've used Trimbles Navigator on my Nokia N73/N95/N86 and lastly my N97

The application is fantastic and just works so well.

I have written toTrimble twice asking about an Android app and haven't gotten a reply!

I see you only have two posts, please say this is not a spoof!

I must admit though, the free stuff works pretty well as long as you have a premium membership.

I have used GeoBeagle on a Droid a few times and found it workable so perhaps the GPSr in the Desire is not as good as the Droid.

No, it's not the Satellite GPS i was talking about, i meant if you are in a poor 3g area, the phone will drop down to gprs (the slowest mobile internet connection) so it's as if you are on dial up connection, so trying to load and search a web page when you have next to no internet connection is unworkable.

Now i'm using Geohunter with gpx files it works very well, i can get VERY close (7ft) on my HTC Desire.

I noticed you mentioned Find Caches a few times.

I wonder if you can help me as i can't seem to find a way to contact the DEV

I bought the app following a recommendation on this forum, but i know i and a few others have been suspended recently fo "posting in the wrong thread" (basically posting Android stuff in the Iphone subforum)

So i can't seem to get back to where i was.

What does Find Caches do?

I thought it allowed for "live" searches, but it doesn't.

All it does is (from what i can make out) open up my GPX file stored on the sd card and launch Geohunter.

If i remove that file, it just reports "no caches found"

Below is the apps description

Find Geocaches allows you to find geocaches at your current location right from your phone. Also has support for complete offline caching!

Paperless geocaching without the work. A must have for realtime geocaching.

Uses GeoBeagle, OpenGPX or GeoHunter. Requires account with geocaching.com.

No, it's not the Satellite GPS i was talking about, i meant if you are in a poor 3g area, the phone will drop down to gprs (the slowest mobile internet connection) so it's as if you are on dial up connection, so trying to load and search a web page when you have next to no internet connection is unworkable.

Now i'm using Geohunter with gpx files it works very well, i can get VERY close (7ft) on my HTC Desire.

I noticed you mentioned Find Caches a few times.

I wonder if you can help me as i can't seem to find a way to contact the DEV

I bought the app following a recommendation on this forum, but i know i and a few others have been suspended recently fo "posting in the wrong thread" (basically posting Android stuff in the Iphone subforum)

So i can't seem to get back to where i was.

All it does is (from what i can make out) open up my GPX file stored on the sd card and launch Geohunter.

Below is the apps description

Find Geocaches allows you to find geocaches at your current location right from your phone. Also has support for complete offline caching!

Paperless geocaching without the work. A must have for realtime geocaching.

Uses GeoBeagle, OpenGPX or GeoHunter. Requires account with geocaching.com.

Any news on the official App, or any help with my query

I'm about to upload a new version of GeoBeagle which I hope will work on the Archos 5. You can find it at http://code.google.com/p/geobeagle/downloads/list; please try it out. If it doesn't work for you, please contact me directly at stephen -at- theleengs.com so I can try to fix the problem

--Steve

(Developer of GeoBeagle)

Any news on the official App, or any help with my query

Please try the latest version of GeoBeagle with bcaching.com; it's not live queries, but I think it's pretty convenient....

Steve

GeoBeagle is a nice app. Thanks for developing it and sharing it.

Not sure if I find bcaching useful or not. Can't quite decide. It's a Groundspeak-acceptable way to do semi-live searches, but..... like any live search it requires network connectivity. That can be limiting if you like to cache in remote locations. Also, to easily use bcaching one needs to limit PQs to 500 rather than taking advantage of the new 1000 PQ limit.

I'm currently a fan of placing large cache databases (a few thousand caches, at least) on my Droid and avoiding live searches. This has a number of advantages. It doesn't annoy Groundspeak. It works around Groundspeak's lack of a public API. It works in remote areas where cell coverage is poor. And, given that I already manage a large geocache database with a pile of PQs and GSAK it's easy to dump a lot of data to the Droid and use one of the many good Android geocaching apps. GeOrg seems to handle this best since it has search and sort functions, but GeoBeagle works nicely too.

Different folks like different approaches. Just one guy's observations.

GeoBeagle is a nice app. Thanks for developing it and sharing it.

Not sure if I find bcaching useful or not. Can't quite decide. It's a Groundspeak-acceptable way to do semi-live searches, but..... like any live search it requires network connectivity. That can be limiting if you like to cache in remote locations. Also, to easily use bcaching one needs to limit PQs to 500 rather than taking advantage of the new 1000 PQ limit.

The bcaching support in GeoBeagle is mainly useful for offline searching: you sync up with bcaching while you are connected to the network so the caches are already loaded when you go into the woods. It's possible to load thousands of caches into bcaching.com and GeoBeagle. You do have to limit to 500 caches, but you can compensate for that by tiling your Pocket Queries a little more tightly (http://www.bcaching.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81) has a good guide to doing this.

And the bcaching support in GeoBeagle is designed to only download the cache data that has changed since the last download, so incremental syncs should be reasonably fast.

Steve

It downloads nearby caches direct from GC.com as an LOC file. I'm not sure how it's "legal" and not "automated access", but whatever. I paid for it, and I like it. It downloads an LOC file of 50 nearby caches to /sdcard/downloads then launches whatever app you have told it to launch, which should then read in those caches. It's names and coords only, not the "rich" data you get with the website or GPX files. I've used it with Geobeagle and OpenGPX, both work fine. I emailed the author via the "Email the author" link in the market listing. He was quite prompt with replies.

You have to load it, then hit menu->settings and give it your GC.com login/password. It should work after that. If not, do email the author via the market link. I'm sure he will be happy to help. Make sure you have the latest version as well. The changes made to GC.com lately might mess it up.

Oh, I haven't played with it in a while, apparently, it can load descriptions and such into a GPX file now. Missing some data, but nicer anyway. And now OpenGPX is broken with those. I'm working on it. :)

OK. I committed a fix. The next release will work with those files. You don't get difficulty, terrain, and placed date, but Find Geocaches doesn't send them. If they start sending them, it should "just work". :laughing:

Edited by kb7sei

Nope, it doesn't work for me.

i click on

"Find caches now" then pick either quick or slow

It obtains the co-ordinates, then tells me it is finding the caches for co-ordinates xxxx-yyyyy

Next tells me obtaining detailed geo-caches and warns this will take about two minutes.

Then finally opens geohunter app and that app says No Caches -click -menu /search Online to find a cache..blah--blah

I went to the market on my phone, but i couldn't see a way to email the author!

i click on

It obtains the co-ordinates, then tells me it is finding the caches for co-ordinates xxxx-yyyyy

Next tells me obtaining detailed geo-caches and warns this will take about two minutes.

Then finally opens geohunter app and that app says No Caches -click -menu /search Online to find a cache..blah--blah

Select the app in the market and scroll all the way down. Therwe is a section titled "about the developer" the link is there. At lest that's where it is on every version I've used.

As for it not working. Its possible the app can't read the files it makes now. They used to be LOC, now they are GPX and not exactly like the "real" files. I had to update OpenGPX to read them properly. Its possible geohunter needs the same sort of work.

i click on

Select the app in the market and scroll all the way down. Therwe is a section titled "about the developer" the link is there. At lest that's where it is on every version I've used.

As for it not working. Its possible the app can't read the files it makes now. They used to be LOC, now they are GPX and not exactly like the "real" files. I had to update OpenGPX to read them properly. Its possible geohunter needs the same sort of work.

Yep, i found the link, and am now in contact with the developer.

He says, if you choose quick search it downloads a loc file and if you choose detailed search it downloads a gpx file.

Perhaps that may be of some help to you?

Still working on my issues, but at least we are making progress.

i click on

Yep, i found the link, and am now in contact with the developer.

He says, if you choose quick search it downloads a loc file and if you choose detailed search it downloads a gpx file.

Perhaps that may be of some help to you?

Still working on my issues, but at least we are making progress.

All sorted now, App working fine.

How many Geocaches can i load up in Geohunter.

Going on holiday soon so as many as possible, and still have the app workable?

I recently tried loading very large data sets into several geocaching apps. GeoBeagle and GeoHunter were usable with 6000. CacheMate was usable to about 2000. GeOrg was the best with large data set. It could manage 16000. GoOrg also handles multiple data sets nicely and can to search and sort.

Regards, Mike

I'm about to upload a new version of GeoBeagle which I hope will work on the Archos 5. You can find it at http://code.google.com/p/geobeagle/downloads/list; please try it out. If it doesn't work for you, please contact me directly at stephen -at- theleengs.com so I can try to fix the problem

--Steve

(Developer of GeoBeagle)

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've tried the new version but still get the error. I sent you a message with the URL of the adb logcat info. Perhaps it might be of some help.

Geooh now has Facebook integration. When you mark the found status of a geocache on the phone you have an option to post information about the cache on your Facebook news feed. Works pretty slick if you want your friends to see your caching adventures.

That's one less program most cachers will want to take the time to try.