Best Android geocaching app?

Patuxent

I just read through this entire thread. And my question is whether anyone has contacted Groundspeak recently (i.e. this year) to ask about the Android app. For now I am using GeoBeagle and I like it fine, but I'd like to see something similar to the iPhone app where it automagically shows you what's near you. I watched Marky do this recently and I was soooo envious. Of course at the time I had a Treo 700p, which of course has no GPS capabilities. NOW I have a Nexus One. :grin: And I would love to see it in action with a Groundspeak app!

I just read through this entire thread. And my question is whether anyone has contacted Groundspeak recently (i.e. this year) to ask about the Android app. For now I am using GeoBeagle and I like it fine, but I'd like to see something similar to the iPhone app where it automagically shows you what's near you. I watched Marky do this recently and I was soooo envious. Of course at the time I had a Treo 700p, which of course has no GPS capabilities. NOW I have a Nexus One. :D And I would love to see it in action with a Groundspeak app!

Yes. Check the dates :grin:

Personally I've found the combination GeoBeagle+GSAK to be a good one. I just search by the coordinates where I live to get the closest caches, then download the list as a GPX-file, click next page, download as GPX, next page, etc. I've imported almost 1000 caches to GSAK and exported those to GeoBeagle so I don't really need a live search as much as I did before.

Still, you can send a mail to Groundspeak asking about the Android app and whether they'll give other apps access to their database... Just to remind them that we're waiting for it :D

I just read through this entire thread. And my question is whether anyone has contacted Groundspeak recently (i.e. this year) to ask about the Android app. For now I am using GeoBeagle and I like it fine, but I'd like to see something similar to the iPhone app where it automagically shows you what's near you. I watched Marky do this recently and I was soooo envious. Of course at the time I had a Treo 700p, which of course has no GPS capabilities. NOW I have a Nexus One. <_< And I would love to see it in action with a Groundspeak app!

Groundspeak's Tweet

Edited by ardoreal

I just read through this entire thread. And my question is whether anyone has contacted Groundspeak recently (i.e. this year) to ask about the Android app. For now I am using GeoBeagle and I like it fine, but I'd like to see something similar to the iPhone app where it automagically shows you what's near you. I watched Marky do this recently and I was soooo envious. Of course at the time I had a Treo 700p, which of course has no GPS capabilities. NOW I have a Nexus One. :) And I would love to see it in action with a Groundspeak app!

Yes. Check the dates <_<

Thanks, yes, I saw the update from November. I was asking if there was any newer news. :P And I see that there is (thanks to ardoreal for posting it; I follow Groundspeak (gogeocaching) on Twitter but I missed that!).

I guess until it's released, I'll poke around some more with GeoBeagle.

None of the examples above are "best". I have tried them all and the best is: GeOrg. Look here: GeOrg by Ranitos

They even have a solution to get data without going through the web interface. They call it "connectors", but since they haven't got any answer yet from Groundspeak whether this is legal or not, they haven't implemented it directly in the app. You have to do some programming on your own and I’m not qualified or haven't done enough research concerning this matter.

You are absolutely right - this is the best application you can get for android.

The Euro 5, - are worth every penny.

It also has the ability to import GPX files, and you can also create maps offline using trekbuddy Atlas Creator.

...tschüß, Gerhart

None of the examples above are "best". I have tried them all and the best is: GeOrg. Look here: GeOrg by Ranitos

You are absolutely right - this is the best application you can get for android.

The Euro 5, - are worth every penny.

It also has the ability to import GPX files, and you can also create maps offline using trekbuddy Atlas Creator.

Still wish I could get it... See forward to the day it happen.

This might be a stupid question, but in GeoBeagle, is there any significance to the red X that shows up next to caches?

I thought if I logged a find on one, maybe it'd switch to a green check mark, so that I could look at the cache list and figure out which ones I've finished, and which I haven't... but they all seem to be red X's, whether I've logged finds on them or not.

I had a question about using an android phone and geobeagle or any of the other apps to geocache outside of cities. If I went up into the mountains outside of cell range can I still get a gps signal and if I have preloaded gpx files for that area can I search for them and find them without any cell service?

If you are using Geobeagle on your droid, yes, you can cache outside of cell serice. Why? Because the GPSR inside a Droid is a real, telco independent receiver. Using GPX files, you can load thousands of Caches into Geobeagle, including hints and log entires, for thousands of caches. I've got 1500 cahes loaded into Geobeagle now for the areas I'm usually around. Doesn't matter where I am, if there are caches nearby, I'm ready to go. I've been into areas where the cell signal is gone, but the GPS and Geobeagle are just humming along letting me find caches.

GPSRs use orbiting satellite data for their location information, and those babies are always up there running. Even when there is no cellular signal. So yeah, use it in good health and enjoy!

Sam

A new free app just got into the market. It's called [removed]. It's pretty awesome. Everything is done in the app, no need to load anything from the browser or anything. This is the type of app I was looking for. And it will hold me over until the official one comes out. But this one works great and right now it's free.

[Moderator Note: The name of the application and the link to its web home have been removed. This application violates Groundspeak's Terms of Use Agreement and uses elements of Groundspeak's Trademark Geocaching logo and cache icons without permission. Do not promote this application in your Groundspeak Forum posts. Thanks!]

Edited by Keystone

I also have been waiting for the official app to use on my Droid.

I just downloaded the [removed] tonight and it works very well. Don't have to load individual files. Very easy to turn it on and get going.

If I could log caches from the app I would be good to go.

Edited by Keystone

[removed] is pretty good replacement of the online web view of geocaching.com for android small screens. All the instant necessary information for a quick geocaching within some form of Data connectivity.

I like it's interface and simple use. Looking forward to having some offline features such as storing cache info for later retrieval.

Edited by Keystone

A new free app just got into the market. [Discussion of unauthorized application removed by moderator.]

I downloaded it last night, and it looks pretty good. Hopefully future updates of it make it even better (like removing caches you've already found from the search results).

One problem I noticed is that the logs didn't seem to change. After reading the logs for one cache, if I tried to look at logs from another cache, it would just load the logs from the first cache again, but with the GC code of the current cache I was looking at.

Edited by Keystone

I downloaded it today and it seems to be a little buggy.

I looked at it today and the program was unable to figure out where I am to find caches nearby. I put in an address and it pulled up caches near the address so that worked.

I clicked on a cache that I have visited and it showed the info for the cache just fine but when I went to show the cache on the map, it showed a map of Tulsa Oklahoma. That's only off by a couple thousand miles.

Also, I selected to load only traditional geocaches but it pulled puzzle and mystery caches as well.

So, though it looks promising, it's not quite there yet.

I downloaded it last night, and it looks pretty good. Hopefully future updates of it make it even better (like removing caches you've already found from the search results).

Has been changed today <_<

Hopefully maybe this will be like my favorite for wm-phones... GCzII

Ha, I noticed that last night.

Seems like there's another update today as well.

I like that the developer seems to be actively working on it.

I got an apk from the developer to test on my Tattoo and it works pretty smoothly. A couple of tweeks are needed here and there, but the 240x320 resolution is not really a problem.

[removed] is great.

There's [removed] everyday since it's release. It appears that the developers is listening to feedbacks and request and had offline use/logging and some other features are being planned for future version.

Very promising.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Keystone

[removed] has now become my preferred app on my MyTouch 3G. I sent a list of issues and requests to the developer. They have implemented them all except the offline function already.

pros:

completely paperless

no pre-cache prepping at all (find nearby caches, among other live searches)

log find/did not find/notes from the field

all in one solution (integrates maps, cache details, compass all in one app)

free (donations accepted)

developer very responsive to suggestions

cons:

force close infrequently (when toggling back and forth from searches to maps a lot)

no offline functions yet (must be in data coverage area)

This application is still in beta, but already a standout. I switched from GeoBeagle for the lives searches. Stayed for everything else it has to offer. Give it a try.

[link to unauthorized application removed.]

I am in no way affiliated with this app or the developer.

Edited by Keystone

I'm sure it does violate the tou, but they won't say anything till later this quarter when they release the Groundspeak app

I'm sure that if it violated the TOU they would have said something by now.

To allow something like this to be developed, then loved by many, then to take it away by using some "it violates the TOU" would just anger a lot of paying customers. It's a poor business practice to anger paying customers.

I'm sure it does violate the tou, but they won't say anything till later this quarter when they release the Groundspeak app

I'm sure that if it violated the TOU they would have said something by now.

To allow something like this to be developed, then loved by many, then to take it away by using some "it violates the TOU" would just anger a lot of paying customers. It's a poor business practice to anger paying customers.

They probably have said something, but given the developer is in the Cocos Islands near Australia stopping him legally through international law would be long and difficult. There are no public API's published by GC to obtain data directly from their databases... period. So the ONLY way [removed] can get the data is to trick GC web servers by issuing HTTP requests similar to what is entered in a browser URL and then extracting the salient data from the returned HTML through an automated process. What else does the TOU cover if not scraping like this?

GC should be more open and developer friendly, but alas they are not. Use your anger to encourage them to publish open API's so that legit developers can do what their iPhone app does... and what [removed] is violating.

Edited by Keystone

I'm not going to argue on and on about it but I suspect you are incorrect in how they obtain their data.

I suspect its obtained the same way Google, Explorer, Safari, Netscape, and all the rest obtain the data. It's just displayed differently than how they do it. Basically, I suspect it's a very customized web interface.

Edited by Keystone

So I'm starting to finally use my new Droid, and want to do some Geocaching with it as well. I was playing with Geobeagle yesterday and I guess I either misinterpreted how people described it, or I didn't do it right.

When I told it to go to a cache, it gave me the compass pointing to the cache. What I usually need first though, is driving directions to get close to the cache, then switch over to the compass. Is this something that Geobeagle, or other caching applications can do? I still have to play with others apps as well. Hopefully the snow will melt away more soon since I have a class next week where I've not yet cached, so perfect opportunity to start trying out more of the applications.

Thanks.

So I'm starting to finally use my new Droid, and want to do some Geocaching with it as well. I was playing with Geobeagle yesterday and I guess I either misinterpreted how people described it, or I didn't do it right.

When I told it to go to a cache, it gave me the compass pointing to the cache. What I usually need first though, is driving directions to get close to the cache, then switch over to the compass. Is this something that Geobeagle, or other caching applications can do? I still have to play with others apps as well. Hopefully the snow will melt away more soon since I have a class next week where I've not yet cached, so perfect opportunity to start trying out more of the applications.

Thanks.

The new Geooh app does exactly that. After selecting a cache on a map you press a directions button which opens up Google Maps Navigation (built into the Droid) to provide driving directions (spoken and visual). No need to enter cache coordinates or address like I used to do in my car navigation GPS. You can also use Street View to see panoramic views of the cache location or views of the route to it. Once you arrive at the destination cache you exit out of Google Navigation which automatically returns to the cache map and then you press a compass button to provide more fine-grained directions to the cache like older apps and traditional GPSs do.

I don't know of any other geocaching app that provides this level of ease and capability.

Thanks.

Well..... not claiming to be a GeoBeagle expert, but this seems to work:

1) When displaying the GeoBeagle cache description page, select the menu option 'Google Maps'

2) From Google Maps select 'Directions' from the menu.

3) From the Directions box, press the box to the right of the destination and then 'Points on a map'

4) Press a point on the map near the cache, then press on 'Tap to select this point'

5) Press 'Go'

6) Press Navigate

This all seems pretty clumsy to me so perhaps there's a better way. I've certainly not given up my Garmin 60CSx, but GeoBeagle on a Droid does work. I'm on a business trip this week and forgot my 60 at home (gasp!) and found a few with nothing but Beagle.

Regards,

Mike

Keystone,

Just curious, why have you gone through this thread and remov

ed all mentions of the app we've been discussing?

PS Looks like ya missed one. :-)

I made the edits at Groundspeak's request. The application in question violates the Geocaching.com Terms of Use Agreement. It provides automated access to the geocaching.com website without permission from Groundspeak. Groundspeak is currently working with the developer to resolve this issue. In the interim, we are asking that this application not be promoted in the Groundspeak discussion forums.

Keystone,

I made the edits at Groundspeak's request. The application in question violates the Geocaching.com Terms of Use Agreement. It provides automated access to the geocaching.com website without permission from Groundspeak. Groundspeak is currently working with the developer to resolve this issue. In the interim, we are asking that this application not be promoted in the Groundspeak discussion forums.

Thanks for letting us know.

I think the biggest factor regarding the app in question is the usability and ease of finding caches with full logs, details, etc without a GPX thus circumventing the need for a premium membership. So while i understand why Groundspeak is upset the issue should be left alone atleast until they release their official app which i hear is quite soon, but they should release a API so third party developers can work improve features not included or ever provided by Groundspeak apps. I wonder if they would be satisfied if the scraping was only done by premium members? The app which i do use, does have to scrape because there is no GPX files and the information is dynamic.

I think the biggest factor regarding the app in question is the usability and ease of finding caches with full logs, details, etc without a GPX thus circumventing the need for a premium membership. So while i understand why Groundspeak is upset the issue should be left alone atleast until they release their official app which i hear is quite soon, but they should release a API so third party developers can work improve features not included or ever provided by Groundspeak apps. I wonder if they would be satisfied if the scraping was only done by premium members? The app which i do use, does have to scrape because there is no GPX files and the information is dynamic.

My thoughts are that GS is trying to find a way to make money off the <removed> app.

I have been using the 'Other app' on my android phone and I will say that it works very well. I have tried to use GeoBeagle and others, and honestly I get so frustrated after about 5 mins of trying to zoom in on a map or move around using the Android Browser, that I give up and go find a PC.

A Geocaching App is a much needed program, and seeing someone that has found a way, without the API, to display the information in a friendly easy to use manner, I commend.

I know that Groundspeak is working on releasing their own Geocaching App, and I am sure that it will be a Pay to buy app, which will discourage many people rather then encourage them as this new app has done.

I understand that there are a variety of reasons why the app is restricted, and I think that most of it is trivial. If the designer was able to get the OK from Groundspeak (even without getting the API), it would only help the expansion and promote more people to Geocache. I won't argue that he needs to get approval for the name and icons use, but as far as how he is getting the information I don't see anything wrong with it. He is not pulling anything that is not available by using any normal means, he is just making it easy to read and use.

Many of the other applications would be so much easier to use if you didn't have to try and fight with the actual Geocaching site to try and get to the information you want. There is no MOBILE version of the site (which would be an AWSOME addition to the site), and downloading GPX files or even LOC files is impossible because of the way the coding for the download links works.

Again, I think that this application has only done what most people wish they could have done from the start, and get to the data in an easy to use manner, and be able to do Geocahing on the fly without having to spend an hour preparing for the adventure by downloading everything you needed before hand.

Keystone,

Not to mention you missed the other illegal app you've been censoring in the window mobile thread. Something about tim or tom/ hiro or heros app...

Btw I posted this yesterday, it would have been post 137, so what did I write that warranted deletion?

Keystone,

Not to mention you missed the other illegal app you've been censoring in the window mobile thread. Something about tim or tom/ hiro or heros app...

Btw I posted this yesterday, it would have been post 137, so what did I write that warranted deletion?

You are posting off topic and you are being disrespectful to the moderators. You could take a lesson in good manners from beckerbuns.

This is a thread for discussion of Android applications that do not violate Groundspeak's TOU. Do not discuss Windows Mobile apps in an Android thread. Do not discuss unauthorized applications. And, if you have an issue with the actions of the moderating team, write to Groundspeak rather than taking the thread off topic.

The new Geooh app does exactly that. After selecting a cache on a map you press a directions button which opens up Google Maps Navigation (built into the Droid) to provide driving directions (spoken and visual). No need to enter cache coordinates or address like I used to do in my car navigation GPS. You can also use Street View to see panoramic views of the cache location or views of the route to it. Once you arrive at the destination cache you exit out of Google Navigation which automatically returns to the cache map and then you press a compass button to provide more fine-grained directions to the cache like older apps and traditional GPSs do.

I don't know of any other geocaching app that provides this level of ease and capability.

Thanks SpiritGuide, I tried their "lite" version and it worked pretty well.

One question, I don't know if this is an Android thing, or a Groundspeak thing. (And Keystone, not meant to be against Groundspeak, just trying to find out why something is working the way it is).

When I'm on the Geocaching website on my Droid, and locate a cache I want to try, I tried clicking on "LOC Waypoint File" and on "GPX eXchange file." Both times the webbrowser came back with "Don't know how to handle this type of file, can not download."

Instead, I downloaded on my computer then emailed myself the file, then saved to card. Just wondering if there is way to avoid that extra step. If I have to wait for Groundspeak's own app, then so be it. (can't have too many geocache apps, can you? ;-) )

Thanks again.

One question, I don't know if this is an Android thing, or a Groundspeak thing. (And Keystone, not meant to be against Groundspeak, just trying to find out why something is working the way it is).

When I'm on the Geocaching website on my Droid, and locate a cache I want to try, I tried clicking on "LOC Waypoint File" and on "GPX eXchange file." Both times the webbrowser came back with "Don't know how to handle this type of file, can not download."

Instead, I downloaded on my computer then emailed myself the file, then saved to card. Just wondering if there is way to avoid that extra step. If I have to wait for Groundspeak's own app, then so be it. (can't have too many geocache apps, can you? ;-) )

Thanks again.

Try the free app Download Crutch. It should do as you want. I haven't used it myself, but I hear it will allow you to select it for a unknown browser file and then download it to the sdcard.

Thanks again.

This is a known issue with the way the browser call goes to the Download link. From what I understand, it is related to the Client side code that the link is sending back to try run on the browser. The Android browser sees this as a file, rather then trying to run the aspx file.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3986610

A bug in Android's browser (http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1780) makes it impossible to download gpx files directly from geocaching.com. You can mail yourself the pocket query and then download it from your mail, or, as you have discovered, use your computer to download to your gps.

Keystone,

Do you want to discuss the TOU? He added a link to the gc.com usage agreement and informed people that they are accessing the gc.com site. Is that good enough? Isn't a usage agreement meant for usage by users not developers? I reported this thread to the admin and I was wondering what Groundspeak would do. I guess I agree with Groundspeak's methods. Just to be clear, if I use the app, I as a paid member am in violation of the TOU?

Just to be clear, if I use the app, I as a paid member am in violation of the TOU?

Of couse. Anything else would be unfair...

Unfair to who(or is it whom?)? Please explain. I don't see unfairness as the problem. Android is open source, unlike iPhone. As a developer, I am curious how Groundspeak can control open source developers. I am sure there are precedents, but all I can think of is people going after users. mp3 pirates, for instance.

My on topic comments are that Android apps are much better than any new fangled dedicated GPS. I own one of the first GPSs the Garmin GPS II plus from 1995 before geocaching. There is no map and it mainly told you your current location. If you stood still the bread crumbs formed a cloud as your measured position changed and your speed never went to zero because you are always moving. The new GPSs put in filters and delays to make it appear like your position is steady. They filter even more to get an odometer. My GPS II odometer went up while standing still. The Android apps use the current position and the compass and that's it. The direction is instantaneous. No filtering or delays or drifting to to a stop seconds after you stop walking. It could care less what direction you are walking or that you point the phone in the direction you walk.

I was looking for an app on Android. ...* is nice one. [Reference to unauthorized application deleted by moderator.]

[* edit by myself]

Hmmmzz I guess I used some kind of magic word, sinds my post was edited by a moderator.

Didn't know the geocaching market is that secret. Even in these times where there are lots of opensource programs and companies are willing to support other developers.

Because we are not free to talk about Android apps in this forum it maybe is an idea to close this topic completely.

Or did i say something wrong?

Edited by GeoBeo