WANTED: eyeclops night vision

Crab_Soul

im sure many geocachers do use these cheap but very effective toys. i want to use it for cacheing at night.

just cant find one under 70$

Oh yeah, those aren't conspicuous at all! lol

I cache at night, and the most high-tech I get is a flashlight attached to my headpiece (to keep wind chill from my face). If I were to go night-vision, which has crossed my mind, I'd want it to be a little more... subtle. Maybe not a head piece at all. Going out getting stopped with that thing on your head might cast a slight pall on our favourite pasttime. Hard enough explaining to cops that stop us at night anyway.

...Then again I have no room to talk, wearing subdued urban camo fatigues, gloves, beanie, and shining a flashlight about ;)

eh. it dosnt show up at night lol. only on max vision but the high infared leds are only barely visible and only when you are close.

i just have my whole splinter cell ninja thing goin on.

wooded ares i under stand that you wouldnt need this. but if your as physicaly fit as i am and are able to ninja through a high traffic area. then ide kinda want it.

Aye but even Sam Fisher and Ryu Hayabusa got caught sometimes, and being a Splinter Cell ninja in an urban area at night can prove highly suspicious... you might turn into another pop celebrity by screaming 'Don't taze me, bro!' I'd suggest either a hand-held unit or goggles which covered less of your face.

lol then why do they sell them to kids? haha. im sure im can not get caught. im not dumb enough to run around areas with street lights....

Aye but even Sam Fisher and Ryu Hayabusa got caught sometimes, and being a Splinter Cell ninja in an urban area at night can prove highly suspicious... you might turn into another pop celebrity by screaming 'Don't taze me, bro!' I'd suggest either a hand-held unit or goggles which covered less of your face.

lol then why do they sell them to kids? haha. im sure im can not get caught. im not dumb enough to run around areas with street lights....

Because kids don't usually go running about at night?

Being sure of yourself is one thing, but never underestimate the observant nature of people who should be sleeping. Just be careful, eh? I stand by my recommendation of a hand-held unit or smaller head-piece.

i want to use it for cacheing at night.

You might wanna master the art of caching during the day before you attempt it at night. This type of thing with an "uninformed" person is what causes conflicts between Geocaching & Law Enforcement. We really don't need the bad publicity.

You might wanna master the art of caching during the day before you attempt it at night. This type of thing with an "uninformed" person is what causes conflicts between Geocaching & Law Enforcement. We really don't need the bad publicity.

Indeed, it is more difficult to cache at night, especially when trying to be stealthy. The only reason I decided to cache at night is because I have a bit of a silver tongue, can talk my way out of a sealed can of tuna. Not had to use it yet. Though is interesting to walk into a 7-11 to get some coffee and a cops there for the same reason lol

Indeed, it is more difficult to cache at night, especially when trying to be stealthy. The only reason I decided to cache at night is because I have a bit of a silver tongue, can talk my way out of a sealed can of tuna. Not had to use it yet. Though is interesting to walk into a 7-11 to get some coffee and a cops there for the same reason lol

yea one of my ways out for exploreing a storm drain is that my dad owns a surveying company called mcglauhlin surveying and we are going in the drain to recover some geodetric becons becosue my father is too old to crouch in theses small tunnels

I am not a ninja or anything, but I have used night vision a time or two in the military and this toy would be dangerous for actual use. I got it for my kid who loves it in the house. I tried them outside one night on a spec ops mission to scare the crap out of my wife while walking the dog and found I could only see a few feet in front of me. It was easier to see without them.

Way to try to discourage a new cacher.

From the reviews of this thing on Amazon it looks like it would be dangerous to use in the real world-and very dangerous to use in unfamiliar or uneven terrain, since you only get to see 'night vision' out of one eye.

You may want to look into a tinted flashlight. I have a blue LED key chain flashlight that provides a good view a few feet in front of me, does not mess with my eyes being adjusted for night vision too much, and is not very visible from a distance when pointing it towards the ground. It does have a very limited range due to it only being one LED in a key chain. Colors defiantly look allot different under it, but you can see whats underfoot, or in a tree hole decently. You may want to try poking around the flashlight section of a sporting goods, hunting, or boat supply store and get an idea of what's available-you should be able to get something descent for $30 or under. Something to keep in mind with LED lights they usually provide a good amount of bright light in a small area, unless you get something with a few LEDs in it and they are properly positioned and reflected to flood a larger area-like a 'regular' flashlight (allot are not).

You would probably need to shell out some big bucks in order to get the kind of night vision device for what you want to use it for.

Just my $.02

There's a difference between discouraging an action and putting down a person. Plain and simple, using this 'night vision' unit is a bad idea and is being down-trodden with good reason. Other alternatives have been suggested, each better than the original thought.

Which leads me to this, and I must thank you for reminding me of this:

Different color lights help with night vision and can be found in even the WalMart outdoors section, limited though it usually is. I recently bought an LED flashlight from Coleman which has two lenses you can add or remove at will, allowing the light to be three colours. Different colours of light help in different aspects.

White - The brightest, all-purpose light.

Red - Aids in night vision, allows your eyes to adjust to the darkness much easier. Akin to infrared but visible to the naked eye. Less visible from afar.

Blue - Aids in night vision, makes it easier to spot blood. Useful while hunting or if you decide to pursue a career in the Crime Scene Investigations units.

Green - Aids in night vision for map reading, limited light reflected from map (I suspect) so the glare does not hinder driver's vision of the road at night. Safer.

I bought this new flashlight at WalMart for less than $20 and have used it with no lens and the red lens several times. Works great. So I ask again, is it really necessary to have a night vision head-piece?

Been searching for it since the topic was created. There's a video somewhere in the Internet's vast ether expanse that shows you how to take said video camera, add infrared LEDs and use it as an eye piece which can also record using simple AV jacks... just can't... find... it...

My video camera has this function already on it. I can just view through eye piece or flip out the viewing screen no need for mods.

Aye, but this vid shows how to add more infrared lights for better visibility but also removes most the rest of the camera so it's really just the lights, lens, and view-finder.

Oh I see i have a night vision light that we bought extra with ours and that added some but i am interested in seeing what you are talking about.

Funny thing is you see many tv programs that have night vision gogles and they may be on both eyes but its till only one input that is split to both eyes.

Now talking about flashlights I picked up one of those RGB ones at walmart last year, no white LED in it but it is a tri-colour LED and they just vary the voltage to each part of the LED.

I don't remeber who makes it as the name is wore off.

When you turn it on, it starts off white or as white as they can make it by mixing the 3 colours together.

Click the button and it turns red, nect click is green, then blue then maybe orange, a light cyan, a light purple, yellow, a light blue, pink, then red again, if you click it enough times in a row it just cycles through the colors bypassing the white. Its not a fast cycle, about 2 seconds each.

The light has a magnifying lens on the end of it so it makes a perfect circle of light in front of you.

Could be brighter but for $14 bucks it works.

If you decide to go the flashlight route you can also check your army/navy surplus store for a decent military flashlight. I still have mine from boot camp in 96 and it still works. It comes with the red and blue removeable filters and the head sits at a 90 degree angle. Their small and have a clip so you can slip it onto your belt when you dont need to hold it. Mine takes 2 D batteries to give you an idea of the size of the flashlight.

edit: Just checked mine, the lens holder on the bottom contains a red lens, blue lens, a white lens(think its purpose is the same as the green, as i couldnt see the light on the wall from 2 ft with it in), a clear lens and a clear patterned lens which seems to disperse the light better so its not just a strong centered beam on the ground but a wider beam. Of course I'm missing my red filter but 3 extra on top of the clear one currently in use is pretty good imo.

Edited by smokinwill