iPhone app costs $9.99?!

viking5

OK, so I am a bit slow, but I just noticed the iPhone app. Initially, I was very excited, but when I went to download it, I found out that it cost $9.99.

Since I already pay an annual subscription to Geocaching.com, it seems to me that the iPhone app should be included as part of that subscription. What do other people think?

-viking5

OK, so I am a bit slow, but I just noticed the iPhone app. Initially, I was very excited, but when I went to download it, I found out that it cost $9.99.

Since I already pay an annual subscription to Geocaching.com, it seems to me that the iPhone app should be included as part of that subscription. What do other people think?

-viking5

It was once said "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch". I guess we can up date that to "there ain't no such thing as a free app".

Jim

I don't own an iPhone. I object to my premium membership money going to subsidize iPhone users. After all they can afford an iPhone and a 2-year subscription contract with the phone company. $9.99 doesn't seem all that much for them to pay extra. BTW, I also object to my premium membership dollars supporting Wherigo.

The iPhone app is a totally different product that is only useful to a subset of PM's, so it should be that subset that helps pay for it's development. I bought the app the day it was released and have been thrilled with each update's added functionality. This incredibly handy app is a great bargain and I would happily pay much more for the freedom it gives me. It is not perfect but for impromptu trips it effectively replaces a gps unit and PDA with up to the second fresh data, all for less than $10.00. I don't see how anyone could complain about a $9.99 one time charge for an app this useful, especially considering what we pay for the unit and service to run it on.

I don't own an iPhone. I object to my premium membership money going to subsidize iPhone users. After all they can afford an iPhone and a 2-year subscription contract with the phone company. $9.99 doesn't seem all that much for them to pay extra. BTW, I also object to my premium membership dollars supporting Wherigo.

I'd object to my PM dollars going to Waymarking, because I don't really participate, but then I remembered that Groundspeak is a business that can spend its income as it sees fit, and if I disapprove I can choose to cut that income by ceasing to contribute to it. Of course, the advantages rendered to me for my money are of greater value to me than my mild disinterest in Waymarking, so I'll just keep contributing.

Not unreasonable at all. PM doesn't guarantee that everything going forward will be free.

Groundspeak allows us to use the site for free - enough to find caches, log caches, etc.

When you want to do more than that, it requires fees (mapping, caches along a route, etc.).

When you want to go above and beyond that too, it's not unreasonable for it to cost money.

$10 to buy an app isn't even worth asking about IMO. That's not to say that I approve of GS starting to charge small fees for every little thing - but this isn't little.

What makes you think your PM dollars are supporting Wherigo?????? I have never seen any information as to how Groundspeak spends the PM dollars. As a privately owned company I doubt they would release that type of info.

What makes you think your PM dollars are supporting Wherigo?????? I have never seen any information as to how Groundspeak spends the PM dollars. As a privately owned company I doubt they would release that type of info.

Am I the only one that read Toz's post as pure humor (mostly anyway)????? ;)

I have never seen any information as to how Groundspeak spends the PM dollars. As a privately owned company I doubt they would release that type of info.

I think I saw your name on a table lamp when I was there last time. It said "purchased with Tequila's 2007 PM funds".

I hope they paid extra for an energy efficient bulb.

And I told them to use 2005 funds.

Edited by Tequila

You're seriously complaining over $10? .... For an application that turns your phone into your GPSr, the cheapest of which are $100? You could sell your old GPSr for more than that on Craigslist! ............... this is sad... really sad...

No no no, the 2005 funds were for a church stained glass window here in Denver! You really need to straighten things out with Groundspeak.

Edited by CoverOfDarkness

-viking5

I think that the Apple App store lock in where Apple can skim a fee off the hard work of all the programmers who have to pay to access the store to begin with is one reason I'll avoid an Iphone. The app store is nice. That it's the only game in town isn't.

Because of the fee, and the skimming it's fair for the iPhone app to cost a fee. 9.99? Likely someone else can write an app (assuming Apple doesn't say it's a duplicate of the 9.99 one) that works with a GPX file and online maps and such and charge less.

-viking5

I think that the Apple App store lock in where Apple can skim a fee off the hard work of all the programmers who have to pay to access the store to begin with is one reason I'll avoid an Iphone. The app store is nice. That it's the only game in town isn't.

Because of the fee, and the skimming it's fair for the iPhone app to cost a fee. 9.99? Likely someone else can write an app (assuming Apple doesn't say it's a duplicate of the 9.99 one) that works with a GPX file and online maps and such and charge less.

I'm fine with the price of the App, I hope it works properly soon.

I think it's funny that there's still so many people think the phone costs a thousand billion dollars. Like "If they can afford an iPhone, they can afford a $10 App"

For ANY decent phone (most DECENT Blackberry's cost much more than the iPhone!) there is a fee, and a mandatory contract, it's just how it goes. If you can afford $30 per month, you can afford an iPhone. So I do see how some people can get upset when an App costs 1/3 of your monthly bill. However, some apps ARE worth it.

For ANY decent phone (most DECENT Blackberry's cost much more than the iPhone!) there is a fee, and a mandatory contract, it's just how it goes. If you can afford $30 per month, you can afford an iPhone. So I do see how some people can get upset when an App costs 1/3 of your monthly bill. However, some apps ARE worth it.

I was under the impression that the iPhone costs about $80/month, not including the data plan which is another $20 or $30.

Sorry about getting off topic...

I was under the impression that the iPhone costs about $80/month, not including the data plan which is another $20 or $30.

Sorry about getting off topic...

The data plan is on top of your normal monthly calling plan...the calling plan is what ever you want to pay for. Mine is nowhere close to $80 a month.

-viking5

WHOOPS! That should be $99.99.

Special software (for use with your O-so-special hardware) is not included in your subscription to Groundspeak.

I had to pay for GSAK, and I had to pay for CacheMate.

Get real.

... when an App costs 1/3 of your monthly bill.

But this one is a one-time cost, not per month. Considering a 2 year contract, it's as little as 1.4%.

Oh I know, I don't mind paying for apps, if they are functional and practical. I don't have a beef with the price, my beef is that the app still doesn't really "work", still can't log finds or trackables. I use this app for most of my trip, but as soon as I find one, I have to use that "other app" which is far from user friendly, but is functional.

My point was that the iPhone haters think the phone is expensive, when it's not only cheaper, but with the right apps saves you money and time, kinda like a full blown Mac now that I think of it...