Can I download cache details to Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

lynndyloo

In an limited fashion, yes, you can.

First of all, you need to become a Premium Member.

Then you need to download the GPX files from the individual cache pages or get Pocket Queries emailed to you with the GPX data.

Then you need to use GSAK and the appropriate macros to export the hints into the file in a "condensed format" and then use Garmin's POI Loader software to load them as Custom POIs.

You won't get all the data for each cache loaded but you can get some of it.

And that's a GREAT device for caching.

In an limited fashion, yes, you can.

First of all, you need to become a Premium Member.

Then you need to download the GPX files from the individual cache pages or get Pocket Queries emailed to you with the GPX data.

Then you need to use GSAK and the appropriate macros to export the hints into the file in a "condensed format" and then use Garmin's POI Loader software to load them as Custom POIs.

Hijack here!!

I am trying to do just this, and I am stuck. Two questions:

1) Where do I find the macro? (I'm assuming I'll be able to figure ut what to do with it after I get it!)

2)When downloading the POI Loader, do I load it into the GPS, Mapsend, or it's own file? I was given that option and had no idea!

I am completely computer illiterate, but I'm really trying to make our Legend HCx as user friendly as possible without going totally paperless yet. That will probably be our next step, but nt yet... I need to figure this out first!

Julie for team Buildingblocks

If you do not want to go the Macro and POI Loader route you can still get some useful information by using the "Send to GPS" feature in GSAK.

In the dialog change the following:

- Uncheck "Use defaults"

- In "Waypoint name" enter: %smart=9(%dif1a/%ter1a/%con1)

- Maximum characters should be at least 16

- In "Waypoint description format" enter: %hint

The dif1a and ter1a means that 1=1 1.5=A 2=2 2.5=B and so on...

If you do not want to go the Macro and POI Loader route you can still get some useful information by using the "Send to GPS" feature in GSAK.

- Uncheck "Use defaults"

Hey, I (almost) did that! I didn't have the dif1a and ter1a- I'll go switch that. I think that will make it easier to read! I have the %hint, but it is pretty short. Beats nothin' until I figure out the rest of this stuff. I'm sure I could just cache this way, but I'm seeing it as a personal challenge to learn how to do something more than just email on this computer. I really like the idea of paperless since I'm already drowning in paper and organization is an issue. Now I just need to figure out a way to flag a cache on the gps to alert me that looking atthe cache page is necessary. I may just have to do it by hand...

Thanks again- I may just get there!

- Uncheck "Use defaults"

Hey, I (almost) did that! I didn't have the dif1a and ter1a- I'll go switch that. I think that will make it easier to read! I have the %hint, but it is pretty short. Beats nothin' until I figure out the rest of this stuff. I'm sure I could just cache this way, but I'm seeing it as a personal challenge to learn how to do something more than just email on this computer. I really like the idea of paperless since I'm already drowning in paper and organization is an issue. Now I just need to figure out a way to flag a cache on the gps to alert me that looking atthe cache page is necessary. I may just have to do it by hand...

Thanks again- I may just get there!

This is the GSAK macro you are looking for: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8926

Hijack here!!

I am trying to do just this, and I am stuck. Two questions:

1) Where do I find the macro? (I'm assuming I'll be able to figure ut what to do with it after I get it!)

2)When downloading the POI Loader, do I load it into the GPS, Mapsend, or it's own file? I was given that option and had no idea!

I am completely computer illiterate, but I'm really trying to make our Legend HCx as user friendly as possible without going totally paperless yet. That will probably be our next step, but nt yet... I need to figure this out first!

Julie for team Buildingblocks

kallt_kaffe pointed you to the macro.

2) the POI loader is a stand alone program that you install and then run after you run the macro in gsak.