Do some cache owners only place finds for the benefit of their friends, not everyone?

MI_CO

....For example, the finders have comments like, "Was out with cache owner, after looking without success for several minutes, he/she laughted gave me clues," "After searching with no luck, had to call cache owner ..." I foolishly tried to get 'clues' from the cache owner like the loggers, of course without success. After reading the logs of several of these caches, I noticed they are all part of the same caching 'clique.'...

Clique's are so Jr. High and yet part of the fabric of the caching in some areas. Best way to deal is when it stops being fun (as in the only folks who find it got a hint from the owner you can't get the time of day from them) is us the handy "ignor this cache" feature. Then don't look back. Not looking back is key. If you do then you may as well sell your soul and be part of the clique you don't like because you secretly really do like it and want to be a part.

Personally, I like people. Not cliques. Sometimes I'm in, sometimes I'm out but since my "orientation" is people it really doesn't seem to matter much that there is a clique.

There are quite a few caches in my area that are hard to find. I thought it was just me, but after reading the logs, the only 'finds' seem to be friends of the cache owner. For example, the finders have comments like, "Was out with cache owner, after looking without success for several minutes, he/she laughted gave me clues," "After searching with no luck, had to call cache owner ..." I foolishly tried to get 'clues' from the cache owner like the loggers, of course without success. After reading the logs of several of these caches, I noticed they are all part of the same caching 'clique.'

Are there others out there who have caches that only seem to be for the benefit of their friends and not for everyone? I thought caches were supposed to be for everyone. I also noticed that all the 'first to finds' for these owners all seem to be others in their 'clique.' Am I being paranoid, or does this phenomena happen elsewhere?

OK, I've seen several "cliques", and usually where the cache owner's pals get FTF every time, and it's so blatantly illegimate it's not even funny. Fortunately though, FTF is not any sort of official statistic, so who cares? ;)

I could definitely see a clique escalating to what you describe though, so I'm sure you're not imagining this. I don't know, are there a lot of geocaching events in your area? Maybe if they meet you, they'll let in the club. Or, if you don't want to be in the club, do like RK says in the post above me. B)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel