Security settings - Internet Explorer 7?

GeoCRAt

I am having a HUGE problem with the geocaching website. For some reason I cannot load any pages. However, when I check on my colleagues’ computers, and my machine at home, I do not have the same problem. We are all using Internet Explorer Version 7. I have overcome, to some degree, the problem on my work machine - - - instead of using www.geocaching.com I am forced to type https://geocaching.com (i.e. a secure website). However, each time I click on a link to follow say a Travel Bug, I get an Internet Explorer message saying that the website cannot be found. Only when I change the URL as noted above can I load the page. But then I get a message with a “Certificate Error”. I also get a message that says “This page contains both secure and nonsecure items. Do you want to display the nonsecure items?” Each time I change pages I get this message.

It is really frustrating that this issue is happening just one my one machine. It seems to have something to do with my security settings. I have not had a problem like this in the past, and I have had the same machine for 2.5 years. Also I have not changed my operating system recently (Windows 2000).

I am at a loss, as is our IT Department, on how to address this matter.

Any ideas?

Cheers from Dubai.

I would start by using a secure, safe®, fast(er) browser like Firefox or Safari (kinda clunky on Windows but still more stable than IE).

See if that solves the sites problem.

I am having a HUGE problem with the geocaching website. For some reason I cannot load any pages. However, when I check on my colleagues’ computers, and my machine at home, I do not have the same problem. We are all using Internet Explorer Version 7. I have overcome, to some degree, the problem on my work machine - - - instead of using www.geocaching.com I am forced to type https://geocaching.com (i.e. a secure website). However, each time I click on a link to follow say a Travel Bug, I get an Internet Explorer message saying that the website cannot be found. Only when I change the URL as noted above can I load the page. But then I get a message with a “Certificate Error”. I also get a message that says “This page contains both secure and nonsecure items. Do you want to display the nonsecure items?” Each time I change pages I get this message.

It is really frustrating that this issue is happening just one my one machine. It seems to have something to do with my security settings. I have not had a problem like this in the past, and I have had the same machine for 2.5 years. Also I have not changed my operating system recently (Windows 2000).

I am at a loss, as is our IT Department, on how to address this matter.

Any ideas?

Cheers from Dubai.

Thanks, but I am not looking to change browsers right now - any other solutions?

Thanks.

I would start by using a secure, safe®, fast(er) browser like Firefox or Safari (kinda clunky on Windows but still more stable than IE).

See if that solves the sites problem.

I have the same issue where I get this message:

“This page contains both secure and nonsecure items. Do you want to display the nonsecure items?”

each time I try to load a page from the site. I've added geocaching.com to my trusted sites......

I have the same issue where I get this message:

“This page contains both secure and nonsecure items. Do you want to display the nonsecure items?”

each time I try to load a page from the site. I've added geocaching.com to my trusted sites......

This message is a typical Microsoft error -- the information it contains is factually correct, but doesn't tell you anything useful.

If you are browsing Geocaching.com in a secure manner (https) other components of the page (such as ads) will be coming into your browser over regular http. This warning message is basically telling you that just because you see https in the address line on your browser not all of the content on the page is coming in a secure manner.

As for the cause of the OPs problem, I'm not sure. I normally use Firefox but when I have tried the site under IE8 I don't have any issues.

Thanks, but I am not looking to change browsers right now - any other solutions?

Frankly, you should. I've heard it a hundred times before that "I don't want to learn how to use a new browser" and "I don't want to lose my favourites", etc. But none of those stand up. First off, all browsers work in pretty much the same manner (same functions, similar icons, etc) second, the installer will offer to import all of your existing favourites, history, even passwords, into your new browser.

All the people I've managed to convince to try a new browser and dump IE tell me that the problems they were having are solved and they never look back.