Magellan: Triton Series

txfloods

For Christmas, we got a Magellan Triton 400. We're learning to use it, but it seems that, since we didn't buy a Garmin, we're at a Geocache disadvantage. I'm looking for other Triton users to ask help from and maybe we can share what little we've learned.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out if we can dowload the National Geo topo maps; Or is this just a promo scam? :unsure:

I've downloaded the Vantage Point software, and I've figured out how to download caches from website to GPS; That helped! :)

Let us know if there are other Triton users out there.

I have a Triton 400 too; Love Mine; I get all the info off the cache page into it except the size of the cache and the logs(wich I usually don't read before anyway!

Yes, I do have the NAT Geo TOPO maps; I have the California state one. I recommend getting a SD card. San Disk are probably the best.

In order to intall the TOPO's, you do that from TOPO map software and you have to disconnect from Vantage Point

In fact my decision on buying the Triton was that I already had the Nat Geo TOPO's, so I could save money by not buying more maps. :unsure:

I've learned quit about about it since I've had it; any questions, feel free to ask!

Nat Geo Topo:

I've downloaded 5 SuperQuad's of my local area. I cannot figure out how to save them to the computer to bring them into VP. I see a bunch of "import" options, but only one "export" option - Export a .trp file. I want to export the whole map.

Is a SuperQuad different from some other type of map file?

SuperQuads are with TOPO Explore deluxe; I just have the basic TOPO software. so I'm not familure the the SuperQuads.

I'm not sure you can go right from the Nat Geo Software to VP. I know I have to export the maps from Nat Geo to my Triton; then from there transfer the maps from the Triton to Vantage Point

Edited by SkellyCA

howdy folks!

I just purchased the triton 400 myself- as a whim to get into this geocache thing.. I'm digging it!

Since my military days I have had great interest in maps/charts/navigation.. Man, I wished I had one of these while stumbling through the dark with map and compass trying to find those silly camo'd ammo boxes!

Anyway, I did use the TOPO quads, and downloaded all 25 free credits worth- and I am very disappointed with them.. They are far too busy to be of any use. However, I downloaded a Magellan AccuTerra (the Southeast one)... and I dig it big time. It did cost $60 over the cost of the unit itself, but it makes zooming and panning much more efficient and 'readable'. I highly recommend it!

As far as importing/exporting:

I used the pocketquery function for the first time today! I downloaded 500 complete caches w/ details (gpx format) and they loaded right up. They were emailed to me in compressed format (zip) and loading them was simple enough.. All you have to do is un-zip them, and then open Vantage Point, then Library, then Exchange and select import. Point to the file you just unzipped and there you go!

You can also do this as a .loc file to directly from your search. check the box and export them as waypoints. Then you import them in the same manner as the .gpx. You just don't get the detailed information you get with the .gpx.

I am going to stick with Magellan so I don't have to buy more maps, and I am going to keep the 400 as a back-up receiver- but I am already pricing the 2000 model. That touch screen has my undivided attention right now!

I will be happy to help you out with your issues if you desire, electronics/programming is my profession and one of my hobbies... One bug I will enlighten you on- the gadget does not like to be hard disconnected from the computer.. make sure and do it softly- as in use the disconnect function when your done transferring data. otherwise, a hard boot of the unit will be in order (as in take out a battery and reinstall).

Anyway, I did use the TOPO quads, and downloaded all 25 free credits worth- and I am very disappointed with them.. They are far too busy to be of any use.

I'm disappointed in them, too. I'll start looking for other sources for maps.

We're not (at this time) premium members for GC.com, but may be in the future. I've got it figured out how to download the .loc files to the GPS, via VP. The loc files will probably work well enough for us. If, at some time in the future, we want the full gpx file info, we can buy-up to premium later.

All you have to do is un-zip them, and then open Vantage Point, then Library, then Exchange and select import. Point to the file you just unzipped and there you go!

After you unzip the the file, you can drag and drop them from the folder into VP. This works well because you can select multiple files, then drag and drop; the imoprt function only does one at a time.

Anyway, I did use the TOPO quads, and downloaded all 25 free credits worth- and I am very disappointed with them.. They are far too busy to be of any use.

I'm disappointed in them, too. I'll start looking for other sources for maps.

We're not (at this time) premium members for GC.com, but may be in the future. I've got it figured out how to download the .loc files to the GPS, via VP. The loc files will probably work well enough for us. If, at some time in the future, we want the full gpx file info, we can buy-up to premium later.

Try here his maps are very good with the roads added to the topo. I have the state of MO. an love it. http://www.jungleghost.com/ also go here for more info http://www.tritonforum.com/forum/index.php...d321f9911048a91

<_< Just got a Magellan Triton 1500 for my birthday and really haven't got a chance to play with it yet. But now I have to drive from Toronto to Nova Scotia. I have the maps for Atlantic Canada as this is were I am from but am trying to find some road maps from Toronto obviously without having to pay for them as I will probab;y only need them the once?

Does any one know if there is a site where I might find some maps to download?

<_< Just got a Magellan Triton 1500 for my birthday and really haven't got a chance to play with it yet. But now I have to drive from Toronto to Nova Scotia. I have the maps for Atlantic Canada as this is were I am from but am trying to find some road maps from Toronto obviously without having to pay for them as I will probab;y only need them the once?

Does any one know if there is a site where I might find some maps to download?

I think the other Triton user just bought a Garmin :(

No, actually hard-core Garmin users have never USED a Triton.....but there's some of us out here who have, & still might, use BOTH. That's the group that can actually give an unbiased opinion between the two.

For the OP....the Triton 400 is a fine machine....this coming from someone who has used military GPS's, Garmins, Delorme's, & Magellans. I can't help you about the Nat'l Geo maps however. I use the Triton ONLY to get from the end of the road to the cache. The base-maps work very well for that. But I have been eyeing the Nat'l Geos & the AccuTerra's also. I've studied a great deal on them & read many reviews from what I would consider unbiased sources. I think either would be a good choice, & you won't be disappointed.

But depending upon exactly HOW you use the Triton, & what for, you my not NEED those more detailed maps. In that case, then you may wind up disappointed in that you shelled out $75 for something that ou really don't use. So you'll just have to figure out whether you really NEED those maps....or if you just WANT them. Myself, I just WANT them. I've already used the Triton long enough to know that I don't need them to find caches, so why spend the money on them? It's just a personal & individual choice, depending upon your exact requirements.

They appear to be excellent maps though. So if you actually need them....buy them.

P.S. Just to add in my 2 cents for the Garmin-Cult.....I have owned 3 different brands, and used a couple more. I currently own & use BOTH Garmin & Magellan. The Triton 400 has NEVER (stress that...NEVER) even hiccuped. But my Garmin has had a massive heart-attack at least a half-dozen times.....as did the one before it.

Hummmm..... :anibad::blink:

I own both Garmins and the Magellan.

The Triton's (I have the 500) are a good geocaching unit today. The problem the Triton has never been able to shake off was they were complete junk when first released (and I had one when they were first released). If someone is going to buy the Triton today, do the following and it's critical to do both.

1) When installing VantagePoint, install and run under ADMINISTRATION mode in Vista or Windows 7

2) Before you use the unit, update both VantagePoint and the units firmware.

That solves 90 percent of the problems right there with the Triton. If you can get a good price on the Triton and geocaching is what you want to do with it, it's worth getting.

What I do wish the Triton units could do is communicate with 3rd party software. Running VantagePoint on a netbook for example is quite an adventure. I can run easygps or GSAK on a netbook with no problems. So if I am out in the field with the netbook and wish to upload/download GPS data, I bring the Garmin.

If you are a Mac or Linux user, don't buy the Triton, it won't work.

A while back I up two Triton 400's for $60/ea (disposable price), one to play with, one for my son to play with. Seems to work just fine, even in the car in the hills.

It does seem, though, that the wetware that was harnessed to produce the software and interface(s) must have been staying up late at night. There are some non-intuitive command sequences and stuff, but I'm getting used to it without much suffering. I have yet to fool around with file transfer but the Triton itself seems to be a sound instrument, built well, utilitarian. I like it.

Though I've been a compass guy for a very long time and I will continue to depend upon those skills in the boonies, the GPS bug has raised a welt that has begun to itch.

So far it's been a blast! I love toys!

Ben