Illinois Spirit Quest

joranda

I've always liked old cemeteries. Seeing the different style of headstones that they used back then compared to the ones of today, maybe it's a cost issue, but they don't make them like that anymore. After I went to Midwest Geobash last year and had time to find some ISQ caches there, I knew that I wanted to start something like that in Illinois. We have plenty of cemetery caches here but none of them labeled Illinois Spirit Quest. Then earlier in the year I seen two ILSQs get published in northern Illinois and thought I got beat to the punch. Later I found out they was "Spirit" caches but in the brown bag form with caches at liqour stores. Hey, there's nothing wrong with that, we get spirits in all forms. So now I have started Illinois Spirit Quest caches. We're only up to 25 right now but with help our numbers can grow.

Anyone who would like to add to the Quest can help with finding old cemeteries and taking the time to get them published. Sticking with the same guidelines of no caching in the cemetery from dusk to dawn. Pratice cache in trash out to help keep them clean. If you see something knocked over, pick it up or straighten it if you can. No hiding caches in, on or under headstones. Just all around respect for the place that you are in. Remember, we will be there one day, I' sure we would like to be looked after too.

Anyone who would like to add to the series can email me to see what number we are on. We can always adjust number if two of the same are published. I hope we have a good turn out, I have really been enjoying it so far. I'm sure we have all been by a old cemetery with some history that we would like to share with others.

There's a cacheless cemetery in Pleasant Plains that would be a great addition to the ILSQ list. I saw it once while visiting Springfield and if I didn't live out of the area I would have placed a cache there. Anyways, Peter Cartwright is interred there so you've got a nice history lesson to go along with the cache.

There's a cacheless cemetery in Pleasant Plains that would be a great addition to the ILSQ list. I saw it once while visiting Springfield and if I didn't live out of the area I would have placed a cache there. Anyways, Peter Cartwright is interred there so you've got a nice history lesson to go along with the cache.

I have planned to place one there but just haven't had the time. If no one else gets there I'll try to get one before too long.

It's terrible being retired. If I get volunteered for many more jobs I'm going to have to go back to work just so I can have some free time.