Need new upgade to Oregon series!

Inkahoots

Attention "Garmin Oregon" owners! We need to flood Garmin support with requests for an upgrade that will allow a "Found eocahe" from the "Found File" on the handheld. As of this writing, Garmin has admitted there is no way to delete Found Geocaches from the "Found" page without connecting to your computer and deleting them individually by cache numbers!! Very irritating and it should be an easy fix for Garmin. I presently own seven Garmin GPSr units and all of them allow this function. (I'm not talking about deleting waypoints!) Just "Found Geocaches! If you ar experiencing the same problem, plese emai Garmin Support with a request for this upgrade! Thanks...................Hoots!

There was another thread started today mentioning the same thing, it might be worth consolidating information in that one ;)http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=215040

Whilst it would be yet another handy feature, I'm personally happy for this feature to stay a lower priority at this stage. :) Sort out any other issues/bugs first before playing with the storage settings, which may not be an easy fix as one might believe. :unsure:

mm

Once you mark it found, can you not "Show Found Geocaches" and then make a "Log Attempt" of "Unattempted" for that cache? I seem to recall that doing this does almost exactly what you want. I do not know if the Oregon has the same bug that the Colorado had/has which causes the hint to not be available if it has been marked "Found" then "Unattempted". I just did a quick test on my Oregon (beta ver 1.86 software) and it seems to work just as you seem to want...

Just a side note. After posting the original, I thought to test the Field Notes upload, and much to my surprise, that seems to ignore the "Unattempted" log on the cache that had been marked "Found". This looks to be a Groundspeak web server issue more than a Garmin issue to me though. The GPSr did properly enter the entry into the geocache_visits.txt file, and then treated it as if I had never marked it before. The web site showed me the "Found" log/note and dropped the "Unattempted" one. Perhaps we need to contact Groundspeak to have them properly handle the "Unattempted" log...

Edited by GeekBoy.from.Illinois

Attention "Garmin Oregon" owners! We need to flood Garmin support with requests for an upgrade that will allow a "Found eocahe" from the "Found File" on the handheld. As of this writing, Garmin has admitted there is no way to delete Found Geocaches from the "Found" page without connecting to your computer and deleting them individually by cache numbers!! Very irritating and it should be an easy fix for Garmin. I presently own seven Garmin GPSr units and all of them allow this function. (I'm not talking about deleting waypoints!) Just "Found Geocaches! If you ar experiencing the same problem, plese emai Garmin Support with a request for this upgrade! Thanks...................Hoots!

I'll more than likely get quite a bit of static on this one, but I prefer it the way it is. It's easy enough to delete the waypoint when your gps is connected to your computer when you get back home. There are times when you will need to access a cache after it's been found. ie: transferring the waypoint to another unit for a fellow cacher that doesn't have it loaded. When it's gone it's gone.......

What do you mean by "deleting them individually by cache number"? If I remove the GPX file that I used to select a cache as found, then those caches are no longer on my found list. Are you using the "Send to GPS" button to load your caches? If you are, you need to stop doing that and use pocket queries. Then all the caches can be removed from your found list by removing (or replacing with a new PQ) that GPX file.

JetSkier

I'll xpost my reply here as well ;) Never been an issue with me, I mark as found and they vanish, but still there for reference if need be. Time to load a new gpx up on the unit when i get home so all the data is refreshed anyway.. much time saved.

AGain, if you are using the "send to GPS' function of gc.com that's fine for a highly targeted one or two cache adventure, but the much better way is to use Pocket Queries (basically why you become a Premium Member which you are). You'll just have the one GPX file for each PQ then, and when you re-run the PQ and reload it on the GPS the data will be refreshed, including all the found caches... gone! (assuming you tell the PQ to not return any caches you have already found).

Yes, please tell us why you need to delete the cache on the unit?

From the way I read what the original poster was asking for is a way to edit the geocache_visits.txt file directly on the GPSr without attaching to a computer. They seem to be wanting a way to delete an accidental "Found" log. I know I have heard other people request a way to view/edit the log notes on the GPSr once they are entered, but I do not recall anyone saying they need to be able to delete the log entirely. Marking a "Found" cache as "Unattempted" returns it back to the geocaches list, and at that point is is as if it was never marked found (at least as far as I can tell).

From the way I read what the original poster was asking for is a way to edit the geocache_visits.txt file directly on the GPSr without attaching to a computer.

That is not how I read it, but who knows. Don't you love these threads where the OP never returns to continue the discussion.....