Will a 4GB micro SD card work in a Vista HCX?

:unsure: I'm waiting for my new Vista HCX to arrive and am trying to get ready so I can play with my new toy as soon as it arrives in a few days. Like you've figured out from the subject line I want to know if anybody can verify if the Vista HCX can use a 4 GB micro SDHC card. I realize this probably sounds like a silly question, but here's why I even thought to ask it. When I tried to use an 8 GB SDHC card in my old digital camera it could not read it for some reason. However, in the same camera I could use a 4 GB SDHC card and it would work perfectly. So that is why I'd like to know if somebody can verify through their own experience if the Vista HCX will be able to use the 4 GB micro SDHC card. Thank you in advance!!!! ;)

Edit to add a P.S. I did check Garmin's website and all it says there is that it takes SD micro, but it does not specifically say if they will take SDHC models. :)

Edit to correct: I just verified the 4 GB card I'm asking about is a SDHC type and I had not previously indicated that it was an SDHC type card. I have now corrected the information above.

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

2GB, no problems! 4+ GB probably won't work too well. See here for a discussion on the topic. I've got a 2GB card in my Vista and it holds the City Nav maps for the entire US in only about 1 GB. That leaves the rest for waypoints and tracks, etc. Since these are really small files, relatively speaking, I have waaaaaay more space than I can use in the unit.

2GB, no problems! 4+ GB probably won't work too well. See here for a discussion on the topic. I've got a 2GB card in my Vista and it holds the City Nav maps for the entire US in only about 1 GB. That leaves the rest for waypoints and tracks, etc. Since these are really small files, relatively speaking, I have waaaaaay more space than I can use in the unit.

Thanks crawil! I appreciate you posting the link. I can't say I understand all the technical talk, but I interpret it as meaning what you wrote as being right on the money. I still have the receipt so tomorrow I'll head back to the store and swap it for a 2 GB micro SD. You've saved me the frustration of not being able to play with my toy right away when I do get it. I'm really looking forward to immediately starting my learning curve. Mainly I wanted to get all of the US Topo (at least the lower 48) on it so from what you say maybe I can do that with a 2 GB card. Thanks again!!!! :unsure:

Mainly I wanted to get all of the US Topo (at least the lower 48) on it so from what you say maybe I can do that with a 2 GB card.
You can't do that, load all 48 states.

The gmapsupp.img file that is created by Mapsource has a limit of 2025 segments. I believe Topo 2008 has 5000+ segments. Theirs a thread on this forum which shows how to combine segments, I've never tried. Also, I believe that all 5000+ segments exceed the max allowed file size of 2GB.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :unsure:

Mainly I wanted to get all of the US Topo (at least the lower 48) on it so from what you say maybe I can do that with a 2 GB card.
You can't do that, load all 48 states.

The gmapsupp.img file that is created by Mapsource has a limit of 2025 segments. I believe Topo 2008 has 5000+ segments. Theirs a thread on this forum which shows how to combine segments, I've never tried. Also, I believe that all 5000+ segments exceed the max allowed file size of 2GB.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :unsure:

Thanks for the heads up. That's not info I wanted to hear, but at least now I'll know to not expect great things and to just be happy with what I can do. I appreciate your input. :)

Just some food for thought,,,, I purchased (quantity 2) 2 Gig SD cards for my Vista HCx. It just so happens that my cell phone uses the same format card (micro SD), and has the same 2 Gig size limit. I loaded the western half of the lower 48 + the western half of city navigator on one card and the eastern counterparts on the other card. My cell phone only uses the SD card for photos and phone numbers that I choose to keep there (as opposed to the sim card), and they take up almost no space! So, because I always have my cell phone with me, I can easly swap cards between the phone and the GPS and always have the maps I need no matter where I am! I have never even come close to filling up the card no matter how many waypoints/routes/caches/photos/phone numbers/ or what ever I have loaded on the cards!