Couldn't get the log out...

SkellyCA

I found a nano this morning, but couldn't grab the log and get it out to sign; so I need to go back with needle nose or tweezers.

Now I'm wondering what happens if I get out and can't get it back in? Has this ever happened to anyone? What do you do then?

Usually I can stick the point of my knife into the center and wind it tight enough to get the log out and then the same putting it back into the container.

Now I'm not talking about pushing the point of the knife into the log hard enough to push it out the other side..

Lightly do this just enough for the edges to catch the sides is all.

TWEZEER%20B.jpg

918.jpg

Above are Serger Tweezers, available at any good fabric store...like Joann's. They are used for threading the machine since it's difficult to reach the tiny spaces where the threads wander through. Many of the ladies may already have a pair but for you guys...if the wife does have a serger you may be able ummm, "borrow" her pair. Just don't get caught... :unsure:

pengwn2 (Chutzie)

I know of several cachers who no longer sign the log on nanos. They either say its a find if you touch the cache or if they want to go a bit farther say its a find if you open the container and see there is a scroll inside. So far none of the owners of these caches deleted any body's find for not signing.

Once I found one of these when I was with a group that included the cache owner. After the finders signed, I couldn't get the log back in the container. I turned to the owner and said "You need to do maintenance on your cache". The owner took the log and tore off part of it that already had names and rolled up the remainder to put it back in the cache. I'm pretty sure that he wasn't going to take the piece of log back to check the online logs against.

Once I found one of these when I was with a group that included the cache owner. After the finders signed, I couldn't get the log back in the container. I turned to the owner and said "You need to do maintenance on your cache".

LOL!

I bought several pair of surgical forceps and they have some in very handy. You can get them many places as they are used in first aid kits and for fishing. They cost between $4 and $7 depending on how small they are. I like the fact that they lock too.

A second use for them is to retrieve those darn small bison bottles. I've had a few almost get pushed back into their whole. One did and have to be replaced by the owner. :unsure:

IF the log has the wire in the middle and IF the last person put the log in the cap like they should, you can use the magnet on the bottom to pull the log out. Otherwise it is dig the stupid thing out.

Jim

There was no wire, but I believe the log was in the lid; it just made it past the metal rim, but I have no finger nails.

I know of several cachers who no longer sign the log on nanos. They either say its a find if you touch the cache or if they want to go a bit farther say its a find if you open the container and see there is a scroll inside. So far none of the owners of these caches deleted any body's find for not signing.

Now, that is just plain disgusting! Here we do frequently use initials rather than our full names (I'm KC) but to not sign at all is wrong.

I found a nano this morning, but couldn't grab the log and get it out to sign; so I need to go back with needle nose or tweezers.

Now I'm wondering what happens if I get out and can't get it back in? Has this ever happened to anyone? What do you do then?

I usually just prick my finger with a needle and squeeze a drop of blood into the nano - hard to argue with DNA evidence...................................

or

carry a swiss army knife with tweezers and a plastic toothpick - all I have needed to grab the small handful of nanos I did.

I always have a multi-tool with me, but sometimes, even that is not enough. I found a nano someone had placed, (since it's now archived, I can give details.) It was a small plastic tube, with a screw top, stuck into a wooden stake. When I found it, the cover was upside down, and the log book jammed into the tube too far for me to reach, the tube was broken, and the log book was soaked. (can you see where this is going?) needless to say, the owner archived it.. It was a good hide, but once the tube cracked, and the paper got soaked, it was instant death for the cache.

Stephen (gelfling6)

I'm just glad that I'm not the only one with fumblefingers on those things.

I HATE nano logs! My fingers make me feel like I have arthritis when I try to remove/replace them.

Tweezer and crochet hook ideas are good - I think I have a tweezer in the geo-bag. I know I have tiny crochet hooks (but I'll forget they are in the geobag when I want to crochet!)... and I have a multitool but I think it would be too large for some of those teensy logs. I just remembered I have some surgical hemostats too... must pop a pair of those into the geobag!

Jenn

If you moisten the log with a generous amount of saliva, you will find you can easily cram it back into a much smaller space than it came from. :D