Wrist GPS

sc-kayaking

I am in the market for a wrist GPS for geocaching. Does anyone have a recommendation to help me narrow my search. Thanks in advance. sc-kayaking

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 that I use for working out. I does work good for caching as well. When in need of an extra GPS I let someone use it. I had the 405 but you had to load each waypoint or cache by hand. With the 305 you can load them from mapsource. I think it holds 100.

I am in the market for a wrist GPS for geocaching. Does anyone have a recommendation to help me narrow my search. Thanks in advance. sc-kayaking

I have a Suunto 10x GPS watch which can be used for geocaching. Once you take the time learn how to use it, you will learn that you can rely on it to be very accurate. To locate a cache, you create a waypoiint with the coordinates of the cache. Once you have a GPS signal lock, and the waypoint loaded, you will navigate (as if you were using a traditional compass) to the cache.

This way of navigating is different from the graphical representation of your position and the cache's position on the screen of a hand held GPS. The Suunto 10x will give you a distance countdown to the cache and a compass bubble (either solid fill or empty) to orient your direction of travel. If you are traveling less than approximately one mph (compass bubble empty), you will need to stop and let the compass bubble settle before adjusting your direction of travel. Otherwise (with compass bubble solid), you can navigate while on the move.

I am having a lot of fun with mine.

Does anyone know where I can get pics of the screen of the forerunners? Id like to see if the forerunners have a screen with a directional arrow pointing towards the cache. Also, do any of them have an electronic compass?

I do not have my camera now, but it does show the compass and which way to go. I am not sure about the compass, but in the house when I turn it moves to the direction that the cache is in. I have used it and let other poeple use it for caching and it works good.

I have an older Fortrex 101 that I use as a fancy pedometer when I'm out caching for the day. Takes two AAA batteries. This is my second unit, the first one I had would shut down on low battery after exactly two hours and forty six minutes.

Does anyone know where I can get pics of the screen of the forerunners? Id like to see if the forerunners have a screen with a directional arrow pointing towards the cache. Also, do any of them have an electronic compass?

I will have my camera Monday and will send you some pics. PM me your e-mail.

Thanks

The 205 and 305 have compass pages. They aren't magnetic compasses though so you have to be moving for it to point you on your way. If you go to garmins web page, you can download the manual which has pictures of most of the screens

Garmin posts some screen shots on their product info page. There are different screens shown for the 205 and 305, so you get a couple of extras to look at. Also, Sam's review of the 205 has a few more.