Map downloading for PN-40

Rockin Roddy

...ATV without having to stop so that I can hear a click of a wheel or have a stable area that I can touch the screen that I can't see in sunlight.

LOL..in the same vein of ridiculousness, I'd like to see you use a magnifying glass on the ATV for the PN-40.

Anyway, yep... aerials give you choice.

So what's that 2GB, for the state of Michigan, RR?

Edited by Maingray
...what's that 2GB, for the state of Michigan...
In earlier posts, Roddy gave diffferent numbers but also admitted he wasn't quite sure how to figure out file sizes.

I think Embra's quick rule of thumb (a chart given in another post in this thread) would be more useful. He gave a table showing how much card space on the GPS (not disk space on hard drive) you would need for each square mile of coverage for each imagery type. That would let someone know before they started downloading how much space they would need.

Sorry for no progress, spent most of yesterday away from my home computer, so couldn't continue on. I started the loading again last night and am waiting for it to finish (started it late, so it is just finishing up) so I can start a new batch!

Unfortunately, life has reasred it's ugly head and I might not be able to do much today as well. We'll see what I can do...fortunately, I can watch this zoo from the hospital!!

I was able to select the rest of Michigan and it is downoading. I will be away for awhile (life again), but won't matter as it's now on "auto-pilot" lol!

This has told me one thing....it can be done! It isn't the easiest, it might not be the fastest, but it's what I have and it's what I will work with!! It has also told me that you can have any maps you'd like on your GPS whenever you need them, with a bit of planning and effort! No big deal to me as I don't mind doing the minimal work involved, it's mostly waiting anyways. It might matter to those who would rather not do any work though. I can understand this, but since the PN-40 is my choice (and one I am VERY VERY happy to have made), I'm not concerned with what works better for others, only what makes ME happy!!

My next move will be to load all of the 24k USGS, this will be a better reflection of loading speed, and will also be put on my GPS for every day use (I'm betting it'll fit nicely on a card with plenty of room to spare, could be wrong).

...My next move will be to load all of the 24k USGS ... on my GPS for every day use (I'm betting it'll fit nicely on a card with plenty of room to spare, could be wrong).
Using Embra's chart from post #13 (about 218KB per square mile of USGS topos loaded to the GPS), and Wikipedia's figure of 97,990 square miles for the state of Michigan, I come up with:

218 * 97990 = 21,361,820 KB = 20,861 MB = 20.37 GB

Anybody care to check my math (Embra?)?

You might be able to fit either peninsula on a 16GB card.

Edited by lee_rimar
... multiplying the square miles by .0002 gets you in the GB ballpark...
Shoot, and I did it the hard way.
...it underestimates a little. Maybe throw in another gig for good measure.
But if you multiply by 0.00021 you could OVERestimate for good measure :D

Now all we need to do is go back to your chart and come up with a rule-of-thumb multiplier for each imagery type.

I've come to the conclusion that for ME (unlike our biker friend) it's not practical to download entire states or try to even get big segments to the GPS. I'm downloading and cutting the bare minimum that I need for hikes and bicycle trips. And since I carry an iPhone, I only need to get hi-res data for the fringe areas, outside of cell coverage.

Oh boy! myotis is in full Garmin fanboy form, as usual.

Rather than duplicating, those who are interested may see my post on the "60CSx versus PN-40" thread here...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3847691

I agree totally. Note that when you read those posts, #17 is typical, the specific subject ot the topic 60CSx versus PN-40 is totally ignored as he equally disparages both the 60CSx and the PN-40 which provides no comparative information whatsoever. Instead, he promotes the Colorado as superior to both, which was never pertinent to the OP's subject.

Now, I do note, OTR, that you indicate in your signature of that you are an owner of both 60CSx and the PN-40. As such I would more highly value your comparative opinions in contrast to those of one who has never touched a PN-40 nor used one, but continues to make uncomplimentary remarks regarding its characteristics and performance. Yes, your post, OTR, is a prime example of providing side-by-side comparative material that you have produced by actually holding both subject GPSRs in your very own hands.

Then it gets more bizarre as noted here in Post #76:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...15010&st=50

....Nor does listening to beta testers that do not give the whole truth. ....

Where I and others are accused of lying by omission.

Yes, astonishingly bizarre and totally unexplicable.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
...what do you do to get the most detail on the regular Topo maps?
See page 78 of the manual:

http://delorme.com/customerservice/images/T7_UserGuide.pdf

Extract: Contour detail preferences affect how contours display on the map. To Set the Contour Detail Preferences, Use the following steps to change the contour preferences.

1. Click the Options button on the toolbar.

2. Click the Display tab.

3. Under Appearance, select the contour detail from the Contours drop-down list.

• Normal Detail—Uses the default values for displaying contours and labels.

• High Detail—Approximately doubles the default values for displaying contours and labels.

• Low Detail—Approximately halves the default values for displaying contours and labels.

3. Click OK to accept the change and exit the Options dialog box.

OR Click Apply to accept the change and keep working in the Options dialog box.

And what do you set everything at to be able to zoom in on with the arial photos.
I don't know exactly what you're asking here, but... If you can't find it in the manual, DeLorme's forum is probably a better place to ask than Groundspeak. More real user experience over there.
My next move will be to load all of the 24k USGS...
Anpther thought, since you're in The Great Lake State -- you might want to grab NOAA Nautical Charts too...

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtp...p?section=10325

I suppose I could, but I won't have need for them. It'll be cool to have them I guess!

To be fair, I will not be downloading any more whole states in all that big of a hurry. I might mess with Ohio (close by) and Nevada (I like Nevada), but the other stuff will be an as needed basis! Not that it's too hard to do or time consuming, just that I know I'll never figure out which files are which etc. And it really slows the TOPO7 down a lot, so, while the state looks pretty cool all aerial, it's not going to be all used at the same time! Good to have though!!

Oh boy! myotis is in full Garmin fanboy form, as usual.

Rather than duplicating, those who are interested may see my post on the "60CSx versus PN-40" thread here...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3847691

I agree totally. Note that when you read those posts, #17 is typical, the specific subject ot the topic 60CSx versus PN-40 is totally ignored as he equally disparages both the 60CSx and the PN-40 which provides no comparative information whatsoever. Instead, he promotes the Colorado as superior to both, which was never pertinent to the OP's subject.

Now, I do note, OTR, that you indicate in your signature of that you are an owner of both 60CSx and the PN-40. As such I would more highly value your comparative opinions in contrast to those of one who has never touched a PN-40 nor used one, but continues to make uncomplimentary remarks regarding its characteristics and performance. Yes, your post, OTR, is a prime example of providing side-by-side comparative material that you have produced by actually holding both subject GPSRs in your very own hands.

Then it gets more bizarre as noted here in Post #76:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...15010&st=50

....Nor does listening to beta testers that do not give the whole truth. ....

Where I and others are accused of lying by omission.

Yes, astonishingly bizarre and totally unexplicable.

Yep, in that thread more typical PN40 users making stuff up like claiming the PN40 supports 24K vector!

And you go about yoour typical less than accurate claims. For example, as you know in that thread the person who started it raised the issue of the CO/OR and I responded to them raising it. Likewise you continue to dishonestly suggest I have never held a PN40 in my hand or used one when I have pointed out to you that I have. Then you agree I am a "Garmin fanboy" and to support this you point out where I "disparages [] the 60CSx." With that type of logic, I can understand why you have a PN40!

Very typical!!!!

well downloaded Pa from the east region cd and it took less than 10 minutes. Also downloaded the 2.5 beta update now I am not sure what I have, midnight screen other than that everything seems the same.

You're set to go to midnight screen at sundown by default, you can change that by going menu>Device Setup>menu>display the checkbox is what you're seeking!

I'd love to try the PN-40 with MrSid imagery of my province - New Brunswick. I have about 1800-1900 MrSid files of about 2.5Mb each at 1m resolution for about 5Gb. Triple that on the gps and it should fit on a 16Gb card. Anyone try MrSid on this unit yet?

I suggest that you post that question over here:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=...75f2090f27ca1b0

I haven't tried it, but I think that it is possible with this addtional software:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtd...p;section=10266

DeLorme sells that to existing PN-40 owners at half price, $99.