Why would some ask me to, out of the blue, to transfer my bug to them?

Polarbz

I'm not an ubernoob to Caching (400+ finds, 13 hides, 13 bugs), but I'm not expert, so I know that there are many things I DON'T know. However, I recently got an email through the GC system as follows:

"INATN - Montana 2008 Geocoin

Ready for you to send me an adoption request using XXXXX

www.geocaching.com/adopt

I am XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks

Dianne

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/XXXXXXXXXXXXX"

Obviously, I took out her identifying info. The first XXXXX were her GC name.

The "INATN - Montana 2008 Geocoin" is MY coin that I put out with the intent of moving around, obviously.

Why would someone think that I wanted them to adopt my coin?

When I went to check her GC profile, its mostly blank, she's found ONE cache (an event cache back in May 2008), but OWNS 400+ trackables.

Do some people just find coins and ask to adopt them? Why? Also, my coin is currently listed as being in an Event Cache for an event that ended on the 21st (yesterday). I understand that whoever grabbed my coin from the event may not have had the time to claim it yet, and I have no issue with that - I'm just curious as to why someone would think I wanted them to adopt my bug?

Insights?

I would say he/she just likes to keep them.

perhaps his/her aim is to collect as many as possible.

sad to think that there are some childrens coins and or bugs

in her collection.

something ought to be done, IF the person does indeed have 400+

in there possesion.

he/she must know that it is not the right thing to do.

this sort of thing can not be allowed to continue.

thats what i think anyway.

Perhaps you should email again explaining as politely as you deem necessary that your geocoin is not up for adoption, could she log it as found and release it into a cache as soon as practical.

If she is a collector, it'll probably fall on deaf ears but at least you've tried.

Only one find you say?! She sounds the sort of person than no hobby/sport/activity wants around :o

I'm not sure she understands the way of the geocacher.

I do hope that your coin is released again though.

A little online research shows that this is, perhaps, a person that uses one account for coins/coin events, and another for logging caches. The coin was at a geocoin event, and was traded in a coin exchange, at which point, I guess, they sent an email, asking to adopt. But later, the person discovered that it is an owned traveling item, and realized the coin was not up for adoption at all, and they would release it. End of story. No big mystery when you follow the paper trail. I think we can all rest easy now.