**Cointest** Sprint Cup Racing (race #2 of 36)

n8turgrl

**Congratulations to sdkonkle on winning last weeks Daytona 500 Sprint Cup Cointest

For today’s Sprint Cup Race Day Cointest : Racing at Fontana Speedway, CA

After last week's cointest I realized not everyone shares the thrill of Nascar racing and may or may not know names of the drivers. Nascar has a deep history throughout the U.S. and although it started on the east coast in North Carolina, today the race is held across the nation. So today's cointest will give a little history into Nascar and the track the "big boys" are racing on. Fontana Speedway.

Rules:

One post per person (Make sure you have the right answers before you hit send editing your post will be automatic disqualification.)

In the event of two or more posts with the same amount of correct answers, the first person to post is the one that wins.

First person to get the most questions correct will win an unactivated GPS Adventures –Maze Series coin. (The one with Discovery on the back and Bridgeport, CT May-Sept 2008)

This cointest will end at 5pm EST today. (2-22)

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Fontana Trivia…how well do you know your racetracks? (Questions 1 -7 refer to Fontana Speedway)

1. Fontana Speedway sits on a 568-acre site that once hosted the first steel mill located west of the Rocky Mountains. What is the name of that steel mill?

2. The Steel Mill (mentioned above) produced the steel that helped build the Liberty ships used by the Allies to win what war?

3. On the Fontana Speedway, what driver holds the Sprint Cup Race Record of 155.012 on 6/22/97?

4. In February 2008 the track was renamed to Fontana Speedway. What was the tracks original name?

5. After the steel mill went out of business in 1983, the land was used in a movie to portray a post-Apocalyptic world where men and machines battled each other for supremacy and survival. What is the name of that movie?

6. The first race on this track was the Winston West Series on June 21, 1997. Who won the race?

7. Beginning in 2004, Fontana Speedway's 2-mile oval became the host of two Cup Series races each year. The second race is held during what U.S. Holiday weekend?

The last three questions are general Nascar related questions:

8. What track is known as “The Lady in Black”?

9. Ed Otto and William France Sr founded The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) in what year?

10. The very first NASCAR race took place on a dirt track at what speedway on June 19, 1949 in front of a crowd of approximately 23,000 curious spectators?

See ya next week for more Sprint Cup Racing from Las Vegas!!

For those who aren’t interested in trivia, each week before a race I will try to host a cointest. I will mix up each cointest to guess the winner, guess the number of yellow flags, guess the number of DNF (Did Not Finish) drivers, etc. So if trivia isn’t your thing, look for next week and see if you have better luck.:unsure:

Feel free to cheer on your favorite drivers! GO NEWMAN GO!!!! #39

1. Fontana Speedway sits on a 568-acre site that once hosted the first steel mill located west of the Rocky Mountains. What is the name of that steel mill? Kaiser Steel Mill

2. The Steel Mill (mentioned above) produced the steel that helped build the Liberty ships used by the Allies to win what war? World War II

3. On the Fontana Speedway, what driver holds the Sprint Cup Race Record of 155.012 on 6/22/97? Jeff Gordon

4. In February 2008 the track was renamed to Fontana Speedway. What was the tracks original name? California Speedway

5. After the steel mill went out of business in 1983, the land was used in a movie to portray a post-Apocalyptic world where men and machines battled each other for supremacy and survival. What is the name of that movie? The Terminator

6. The first race on this track was the Winston West Series on June 21, 1997. Who won the race? Ken Schrader

7. Beginning in 2004, Fontana Speedway's 2-mile oval became the host of two Cup Series races each year. The second race is held during what U.S. Holiday weekend? Labor Day

8. What track is known as “The Lady in Black”? Darlington

9. Ed Otto and William France Sr founded The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) in what year? 1948

10. The very first NASCAR race took place on a dirt track at what speedway on June 19, 1949 in front of a crowd of approximately 23,000 curious spectators? Charlotte Speedwa

1. Fontana Speedway sits on a 568-acre site that once hosted the first steel mill located west of the Rocky Mountains. What is the name of that steel mill?

Kaiser Steel Mill

2. The Steel Mill (mentioned above) produced the steel that helped build the Liberty ships used by the Allies to win what war?

World War II

3. On the Fontana Speedway, what driver holds the Sprint Cup Race Record of 155.012 on 6/22/97?

Jeff Gordon

4. In February 2008 the track was renamed to Fontana Speedway. What was the tracks original name?

California Speedway

5. After the steel mill went out of business in 1983, the land was used in a movie to portray a post-Apocalyptic world where men and machines battled each other for supremacy and survival. What is the name of that movie?

The Terminator

6. The first race on this track was the Winston West Series on June 21, 1997. Who won the race?

Ken Schrader

7. Beginning in 2004, Fontana Speedway's 2-mile oval became the host of two Cup Series races each year. The second race is held during what U.S. Holiday weekend?

Labor Day

8. What track is known as “The Lady in Black”?

Darlington Raceway

9. Ed Otto and William France Sr founded The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) in what year?

10. The very first NASCAR race took place on a dirt track at what speedway on June 19, 1949 in front of a crowd of approximately 23,000 curious spectators?

Charlotte Speedway

You guys are Way to quick for me!!! So we have a winner I come up with the same answers as everyone else

I disagree. I don't give a fig about a coin (and don't want it), but here are my answers.

1. Kaiser Steel Mill

2. World War II

3. Jeff Gordon - with a margin of victory of 1.074 sec

4. In February 2008 the track was renamed to Fontana Speedway. NO IT WAS NOT

February 21, 2008: A deal is made with the Automobile Club of Southern California to change the track's name from California Speedway to Auto Club Speedway of Southern California. Less formally just called Auto Club Speedway.

5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

6. The very first race at California Speedway, the Auto Club 200, a Winston West Series race, was won by Ken Schrader. The first IROC race was also run, and won by Mark Martin.

7. Darlington Raceway was the traditional Labor Day home of NASCAR till it was moved to Fontana, California. This year however, NASCAR is bringing Labor Day weekend racing back to the South at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The second California race this year will fall on the Columbus Day weekend.

8. Darlington Raceway

9. February 21, 1948

10. The very first NASCAR race took place on a dirt track at what speedway on June 19, 1949 in front of a crowd of approximately 23,000 curious spectators? Badly worded question.

The 1948 NASCAR schedule featured 52 "Modified" dirt track races. The sanctioning body hosted its first event at Daytona Beach on February 15, 1948. Red Byron beat Marshall Teague for the win. The first NASCAR "Strictly Stock" race ever was held at Charlotte Speedway (not the Charlotte Motor Speedway) on June 19, 1949 -- a race won by Jim Roper after Glenn Dunnaway was disqualified after the discovery of altered rear springs.

1. Fontana Speedway sits on a 568-acre site that once hosted the first steel mill located west of the Rocky Mountains. What is the name of that steel mill? Kaiser Steel Mill

2. The Steel Mill (mentioned above) produced the steel that helped build the Liberty ships used by the Allies to win what war? World War II

3. On the Fontana Speedway, what driver holds the Sprint Cup Race Record of 155.012 on 6/22/97? Jeff Gordon

4. In February 2008 the track was renamed to Fontana Speedway. What was the tracks original name? California Speedway..........Isn't the "official" name Auto Club Speedway, located in Fontana?

5. After the steel mill went out of business in 1983, the land was used in a movie to portray a post-Apocalyptic world where men and machines battled each other for supremacy and survival. What is the name of that movie? The Terminator

6. The first race on this track was the Winston West Series on June 21, 1997. Who won the race? Ken Schrader

7. Beginning in 2004, Fontana Speedway's 2-mile oval became the host of two Cup Series races each year. The second race is held during what U.S. Holiday weekend? Labor Day

8. What track is known as “The Lady in Black”? Darlington

9. Ed Otto and William France Sr founded The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) in what year? 1948

10. The very first NASCAR race took place on a dirt track at what speedway on June 19, 1949 in front of a crowd of approximately 23,000 curious spectators? Charlotte Speedway

1. Fontana Speedway sits on a 568-acre site that once hosted the first steel mill located west of the Rocky Mountains. What is the name of that steel mill? Kaiser Steel

4. In February 2008 the track was renamed to Fontana Speedway. What was the tracks original name? California Speedway

7. Beginning in 2004, Fontana Speedway's 2-mile oval became the host of two Cup Series races each year. The second race is held during what U.S. Holiday weekend? Labor Day Weekend

8. What track is known as “The Lady in Black”? Darlington Raceway

10. The very first NASCAR race took place on a dirt track at what speedway on June 19, 1949 in front of a crowd of approximately 23,000 curious spectators? Charlotte Motor Speedway

Opalsns

Edited by opalsns

You guys are Way to quick for me!!! So we have a winner I come up with the same answers as everyone else

I disagree. I don't give a fig about a coin (and don't want it), but here are my answers.

1. Kaiser Steel Mill

2. World War II

3. Jeff Gordon - with a margin of victory of 1.074 sec

4. In February 2008 the track was renamed to Fontana Speedway. NO IT WAS NOT

February 21, 2008: A deal is made with the Automobile Club of Southern California to change the track's name from California Speedway to Auto Club Speedway of Southern California. Less formally just called Auto Club Speedway.

5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

6. The very first race at California Speedway, the Auto Club 200, a Winston West Series race, was won by Ken Schrader. The first IROC race was also run, and won by Mark Martin.

7. Darlington Raceway was the traditional Labor Day home of NASCAR till it was moved to Fontana, California. This year however, NASCAR is bringing Labor Day weekend racing back to the South at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The second California race this year will fall on the Columbus Day weekend.

8. Darlington Raceway

9. February 21, 1948

10. The very first NASCAR race took place on a dirt track at what speedway on June 19, 1949 in front of a crowd of approximately 23,000 curious spectators? Badly worded question.

The 1948 NASCAR schedule featured 52 "Modified" dirt track races. The sanctioning body hosted its first event at Daytona Beach on February 15, 1948. Red Byron beat Marshall Teague for the win. The first NASCAR "Strictly Stock" race ever was held at Charlotte Speedway (not the Charlotte Motor Speedway) on June 19, 1949 -- a race won by Jim Roper after Glenn Dunnaway was disqualified after the discovery of altered rear springs.

I hope everyone doesn't think I was complaining, what I said did kinda sound bad....sorry.

I was just asking if I there was a winner yet...that way I would re-think my answers..LOL I too like playing just to play not only to win a coin and thank you very much for the cointest! Good Luck to everyone and their drivers!

Thanks everyone for playing in todays Nascar Sprint Cup Cointest!!!

Today's winner is: Cardinal Red

Correct Answers:

4. In February 2008 the track was renamed to Fontana Speedway. What was the tracks original name? Auto Club Speedway of Southern California or Auto Club Speedway.....it is located in Fontana but the track is not named Fontana

5. After the steel mill went out of business in 1983, the land was used in a movie to portray a post-Apocalyptic world where men and machines battled each other for supremacy and survival. What is the name of that movie? Terminator 2 -Judgement Day

7. Beginning in 2004, Fontana Speedway's 2-mile oval became the host of two Cup Series races each year. The second race is held during what U.S. Holiday weekend? Columbus Day is the correct answer....the second race that typically ran in Fontana was Labor Day weekend; however, this year, the Labor Day race will be ran in Atlanta and the second race in Fontana will be on Columbus Day weekend.

8. What track is known as “The Lady in Black”? Darlington Raceway

10. The very first NASCAR race took place on a dirt track at what speedway on June 19, 1949 in front of a crowd of approximately 23,000 curious spectators? Charlotte Speedway

Thanks again for playing in the cointest and congrats to Cardinal Red!! Send me your address and i'll get the coin in the mail to you tomorrow.

See ya next week for more Sprint Cup Racing from Las Vegas!!

Thanks everyone for playing in todays Nascar Sprint Cup Cointest!!!

Today's winner is: Cardinal Red

Thanks again for playing in the cointest and congrats to Cardinal Red!! Send me your address and i'll get the coin in the mail to you tomorrow.

Thanks for recognizing my NASCAR knowledge/research. But I am not a coin person.

So thanks for the coin offer, but no thanks. And good luck to Ryan today.