GPS 60csx, Anyone buy and use the street maps?

barddzen

Just got a 60 csx and wife is wanting to buy the traditional "in the car" GPS unit so I was looking at purchasing the enhanced street navigation maps for the 60 csx and was wondering how they would compare...

I'm assuming the 60csx won't talk the information like some of the car units, but are the turn by turns and maps comparable?

I don't have a car unit to compare with, but I use the City Navigator maps on my 60CSx and find they make it into quite a usable unit for car navigation. You are correct, the unit doesn't speak but the directions are easy enough to read while driving providing you have the unit mounted somewhere visible. If you really want spoken directions, you can hook the GPSr to a laptop and use Garmin's free nRoute program -- I've done that too but don't find it is worth the hassle.

Both the Nuvi and the 60CSx can use the same maps (CNNANT2009.11 is the latest version). The Nuvi displays the maps in a much more readable format and data entry is much easier. The spoken directions makes all the difference. I found the 60Csx to be a poor street navigator in that the screen is too small, the alert tones are too quiet, and the data entry is cumbersome.

Rather than buying CityNav for the 60, consider buying one of the discontinued Nuvis (ie. the 660 or 760) for just a little more. If you want detailed non-routing street maps for the 60, the Ibycus maps are free and are pretty good.

Just got a 60 csx and wife is wanting to buy the traditional "in the car" GPS unit so I was looking at purchasing the enhanced street navigation maps for the 60 csx and was wondering how they would compare...

I'm assuming the 60csx won't talk the information like some of the car units, but are the turn by turns and maps comparable?

I have a 76CSx, which is essentially the same as the 60CSx. I use both BlueCharts and City Navigator "NT" 2009 without any problem whatsoever.

The unit will "Beep" at you to alert you to a turn since it does not talk like to GPS units designed for the road.

The only thing I would say, is it's a bit of a PAI to use the unit to punch in the search and navigations terms/names.

But once you get that info programmed in... the unit is right on track for road navigation.

Tim

If you do a lot of navigating to addresses you haven't been to before, then you'll probably want a car unit. Entering addresses is a bit weird and seems backwards on the 60CSx. But I'm usually navigating to already known places that I've stored, so that's not an issue. The actual navigation works well. The unit gives a loud BEEP when you're about 45 seconds from a turn, and a BEEP BEEP when the turn is just ahead. White arrows show the direction you should travel, and you can see your car (a black triangle) as it moves through the turn, superimposed over the arrow. Once the turn is managed, the display reverts to the previous mode.

If you do a lot of navigating to addresses you haven't been to before, then you'll probably want a car unit. Entering addresses is a bit weird and seems backwards on the 60CSx. But I'm usually navigating to already known places that I've stored, so that's not an issue. The actual navigation works well. The unit gives a loud BEEP when you're about 45 seconds from a turn, and a BEEP BEEP when the turn is just ahead. White arrows show the direction you should travel, and you can see your car (a black triangle) as it moves through the turn, superimposed over the arrow. Once the turn is managed, the display reverts to the previous mode.

Prime Suspect is there anyway to cange that black triangle to something else? I was able to with the nuvi..but would like to change the one in the 60cx

I've been using the 60CSX for street navigation for a few years and the 60CS for the same purpose for a few years before that. The 60CSX is not the perfect tool for the job, but it does it quite well. No voice prompts but it beeps when the turn comes up and closeup screen of the intersection pops up.

I also have a Nuvi but my wife uses it most of the time, and my 60CSX gets me to where I need to go as well as the Nuvi.

It's not quite as easy to enter destinations, there are no voice prompts and the screen is a lot smaller, but it gets you where you need to go.

I use the 60csx for street level routing as well. Got a Nuvi in the car for the wife, but I typically use my 60scsx. I also got the handlebar mount and have that on my motorcycle - works like a champ. Plus the beep is loud enough that I can hear it while riding and wearing a helmet.

I compared the NT vs non-NT maps and the non-NT mas definitely are faster (ie the NT version has a bit of a lag) while manually scrolling around the map. But for caching, driving directions, etc they are identical.

I also compared them to the in-car system Hertz rental cars have and it was exactly the same turn by turn on the 60csx. Screen is a bit small, but definitely very functional.

Prime Suspect is there anyway to cange that black triangle to something else? I was able to with the nuvi..but would like to change the one in the 60cx

You can't change the shape, but there are 8 or so different color schemes you can select.

I compared the NT vs non-NT maps and the non-NT mas definitely are faster (ie the NT version has a bit of a lag) while manually scrolling around the map. But for caching, driving directions, etc they are identical.

While a bit slower in bringing up POIs, the NT version is the only option if you want to get a NuMaps subscription (one-time fee gives you quarterly map updates for the life of the unit).

Edited by Prime Suspect
We've used the 60CSX and City Navigator for several years now. I wouldn't go without it either on the road or on the trail.

Me too.. I have used the 60CSX for street navagation for all our trips. It works just fine. A friend has a 60CSX and got a Tom Tom. Sold the TT, wasn't worth having both.

Nick