Weird GPX file on Oregon 400t . . .

GerIRL

I have a weird GPX file on my Oregon that I cannot delete, rename, cut/paste, move, move into a .zip file or modify in any way. The characters in the filename to the left of the .GPX are not alpha-numeric. See attached screen capture. Any ideas or suggestions?

0d921277-daca-4014-ac9b-863ea1d75359.jpg

Edited by GerIRL

To Format, or Not to Format - that is the question.

I think the presence of that undeletable .gpx file is causing some caches to appear to be missing from the GPS. So I am leaning towards formatting the OR's internal memory. I have backed it up into a winzip file, without the weird .gpx file.

Before I do this, I would like to know if anyone else has successfully formatted their internal memory and then reloaded it from a backup?

Thanks.

Was there an error message associated with it?

Yes there was an error msg. See above two screen caps - 1 from DOS and 1 from Windows - both refer to incorrect filename syntax.

So - if I reformat the internal memory, will I be able to restore it from the backup I made?

Those errors are from trying to delete the file. I was asking if you tried to delete the GPX directory (the parent directory which contains the garbage gpx file). On your OR there is a directory \Garmin\GPX which contains another directory called Current and the bogus gpx file.

From a DOS command window you can do this:

k:

cd \Garmin

rmdir /s GPX # removes the GPX directory and the garbage file below it (plus everything else!)

mkdir GPX # reconstruct the directory and sub directory you just blew away (I think they will get recreated automatically but just to be safe)

mkidir GPX\Current

Those errors are from trying to delete the file. I was asking if you tried to delete the GPX directory (the parent directory which contains the garbage gpx file). On your OR there is a directory \Garmin\GPX which contains another directory called Current and the bogus gpx file.

From a DOS command window you can do this:

k:

cd \Garmin

rmdir /s GPX # removes the GPX directory and the garbage file below it (plus everything else!)

mkdir GPX # reconstruct the directory and sub directory you just blew away (I think they will get recreated automatically but just to be safe)

mkidir GPX\Current

64f6d461-9c8e-4a06-b29d-7880f4b33fd2.jpg

Thanks Scott - as you can see, I get the same error msg that the filename syntax is incorrect, and it won't delete the folder. Which is why I am considering a format of the internal memory.

I'm watching this thread. I have the same problem, however I haven't noticed any bad effects that I can tell from the corrupted file. Not being very tech savey, and not sure how to do what you guys are disscussing, my question is would just a master reset of the unit do the trick?

Ok then - I resolved the issue, and got rid of the wierd .gpx file. I opted for the nuclear option and did a quick format of the internal drive and then restored the data from a WinZip backup that I had created prior to weird file appearing in the GPX folder. All is well - the OR fired right up and my topo usa maps were visible as before. Thanks to all for your input.

I'm watching this thread. I have the same problem, however I haven't noticed any bad effects that I can tell from the corrupted file. Not being very tech savey, and not sure how to do what you guys are disscussing, my question is would just a master reset of the unit do the trick?

Hi,

this looks like a corruptet file system. Maybe you should run chkdsk from the dos-promt for the oregon drive. Maybe this would help

greets,

Frank