Garmin 60CSx - cannot acquire in NYC

hoff5104

Now I am visiting in New York and it can't acquire a signal anywhere!!! I was on top of the roof 17 stories up and it worked great. As for the street level, I was SOL. I appreciate your reply of my previous problem and glad that you know so much. I think I may have to make a trip to REI and maybe get this one fixed or replaced. It has a clear view of the sky in NYC, even in a huge wide open area like Central Park. I have performed the "new location" solution..no avail. Also done a master reset and updated all the software through Garmin's website, not luck in New York. Thanks again.

We were in NYC in Sept. We took a bus tour, open top double decker. My Lowrance H2OC found and then lost positions all day. I wanted a trail of where we went on the bus as we were busy taking pictures and listening to the tour guide. I ended up with a fairly good route, just some gaps.

The GPS not only looks up but also on the horizon to find the satellites and do its calculations. All I have experience is with my Lowrance. Don't know that much about Garmin.

Have fun in NYC, we did.

Now I am visiting in New York and it can't acquire a signal anywhere!!! I was on top of the roof 17 stories up and it worked great. As for the street level, I was SOL. I appreciate your reply of my previous problem and glad that you know so much. I think I may have to make a trip to REI and maybe get this one fixed or replaced. It has a clear view of the sky in NYC, even in a huge wide open area like Central Park. I have performed the "new location" solution..no avail. Also done a master reset and updated all the software through Garmin's website, not luck in New York. Thanks again.

You mentioned you were visiting. From how far away? My guess is that you didn't give the unit the time to acquire the new almanac data it needed for its new location.

We were in NYC last week and had fun trying to get a signal when we first arrived.

The Oregon managed it after quite a bit longer than normal (would have had the UK almanac so that is understandable). The Colorado took a *lot* longer and most of the time could not re-acquire it the next time it was switched on.

More open areas like Central Park were ok but caching in the urban canyons was more like letterboxing than geocaching as the signal bounce was really bad and even if we had a good signal, it also depends on the cache owner having a good signal to take the co-ords (we suspected quite a few were set with reference to Google Maps). Luckily most of the caches had really good hints which narrowed down the search a lot.

All good fun though and we did some really nice caches :unsure:.