Why are car navi's bad choices for G.Caching?

nrg2brn

Ive been perusing the forum a bit, I really dont want to post something that has been answered so many times in the past, but here I go.

I have a basic tomtom car nav system. Id like to geocache. I can enter coordinates, and it maps it. Is this a bad choice for geocaching because these types arent as precise? the ruggedization does not bother me, as I am a biking/walking/driving geocacher, not a hiker.

Thanks in advance.

DAve

Just not the most suitable device for Geocaching. Sure it will work but - they have a limited battery life, are awkward to hold in your hand, tend to try and route you only on the road --- and they are not rugged at all. I know you said the rugged thing doesn't bother you - but just wait until it slips and falls in a puddle of water just 10 feet from your car. It will be toast.

May I recommend a Garmin venture HC - great Geocaching unit and only $120.

Go ahead and give geocaching a try with the Tom Tom. I started with my Nuvi and it was fine to try out the sport with. After almost dropping it in a stream and wincing as it tumbled off a log I had perched it on, not to mention having some real issues with the signal in the woods, I went ahead and got a handheld. But you'll know if/when you want to move to a handheld. In the meantime, go have fun finding some caches!

In addition to all that StarBrand has said, I also find the compass screen much easier to use than staring at the satellite screen (where I have to move until the lat. and long. matches the cache). I'm not sure about the Tom Tom but my Nuvi doesn't have the compass screen.

Having the compass screen allows me to start examining ground zero when I'm walking towards it, and speculate on possible hiding spots. It leads to faster finds and less time hanging around looking suspicious for urban caches.

Give the Tom Tom a try since you already have it.

Go ahead and try it. I've used a TT xls for about six months, have 180+ finds and found bench marks in area also. If you add a compass, from Walmart or any sporting goods place, you can walk to it quickly when using the gps status screen. I use it on a bike also. Just enjoy the game with what you have. It can be done.

This is more of a Did You Know kind of thing but auto map GPS units have a "stick to the road" option. Which means that it is trying to give directions with the intent that you are driving on the road. It 'sticks' to it as a default. If you wander away from the road it will still try to move to the next closest road instead of where you actually are. Be sure to set your settings to pedestrian which turns off this condition (mostly).

Also as stated above a standard handheld GPS is much more rugged and waterproof. The slightest moisture can damage your auto GPS. I used a Nuvi for the first 50 caches or so. Once I bought my first Etrex Vista I never looked back. Huge difference and accuracy for finding geocaches...

Just my .02c

-HHH :unsure:

I use a nuvi 200. I haven't tried any hardcore hikes or going out on rainy days (thankfully the weather has been nice every time I've gone out). I have 145 finds. It may not be ideal but it allows me to go paperless and do something fun for no extra cost. As I get more into this hobby I may consider using my tax return for a handheld.

I say try to use it make sure you love geocaching and then at that point consider getting one suited for caching. If you buy one now and decide to drop the hobby within a year you'll lose a lot of money.

Sidenote to headhardhat: What you wrote would be 2 tenths of a cent, I believe you meant 2 cents or $.02. :unsure: Sorry I'm a math teacher and had to correct that.

Well Ive used my garmin nuvi 650 for 100 caches so far. Ive never tried a handheld gps so I really cant compare the 2. But Ive had no problem with my nuvi, Ive dropped it about 2 times and havent had a problem. The obvious reasons its not made for caching is that its not rugged, its not shaped to be a handheld & only has about a 3-4 hour battery life off the charger and im sure it doesnt have all the bells n whistles a handheld does.

On the other hand, I love the ease of paperless caching with it. Ive had no problems with accuracy, and I think if your starting out dont run out and buy a handheld, use your car gps & make sure you like caching then make ur decision.

As far as the satelite screen that somebody mentioned, my 650 has that screen and I NEVER use it. I simply have it in car mode till i get close to the cache area, then i toggle it to - Off Road/Pedestrian. Then I persue GZ toggling between 2 screens. The pink line heading directly to the cords & the feet/distance screen. When im within 100 feet of the cache I usually just go with the feet/distance screen & hone in on GZ.

Good Luck..

Edited by Tha Saint

They are fine for getting there on roads;however, stepping off major road will lead to blank screen. This trye of gps has no land maps loaded. I use mine to git there, park, and as the other fellow does put it in the trunk annd get out a hand held unit and go find the geocache. Good hunting :anibad: