Winter boots

Roadtorque

Well as we are slowly leaving the winter months behind and approaching spring, the snow is going to be melting in the next few weeks I am looking for people who have tried out a new pair of winter boots this year. Now that you have hopefully had a chance to use them lets hear some reviews. Do you recommend your winter boots? Why/why not?

North Face Baltoro 400

8521-614962-d.jpg

Insulated with armorized rubber lowers and nubuck leather uppers. These boots are sealed and will keep the wet and cold out. I've worn them in temps to 10 degrees in deep snow to sweltering summer dog days with everything in between. They don't breathe very well but I wear appropriate liner socks and synthetic wool socks to help wick the moisture away and out. I wear these all year due to the different trail conditions I run into. I don't feel like prancing around a mudhole and have no fear with slogging through the worst of them.

They handle snowshoes very well and they are flexible enough while maintaining a comfortable stiffness to support the ankle.

First pair I bought over 4 years ago lasted me until last September. I liked the boots so well I couldn't think of trying a different brand or model. So last spring, when REI had them on sale, I bought a new pair to keep in storage for when the old pair finally wore out (it had to happen sometime soon I guessed.)

I recently fractured my fibula near the ankle while wearing the newer pair due to a slippery moss covered rock and I believe the stiff upper kept it from being worse than a fracture and I didn't require a Sam's splint to stiffen up the area to hike out the 4 miles back to the car, drive to the local pub to enjoy a couple of beers and a steak dinner, then drive the two hours back home. I was pretty thankful for these boots then as I have been for the last 4 years each time they performed in a challenge.

I have high arches and need the support these boots provide. They are a little on the heavy side, but boots like these will be. They are for serious hikng and will take the abuse.

I would and have recommended these. But they aren't for everybody and I highly recommend you try them on a rock walk at REI (or similar store if they provide that kind of ramp) before you buy them.

I just use my regular leather hiking boots and they are fine as long as I'm walking. If I sit for a while my feet start to get cold. So I am in the market for winter hiking boots and will be watching this thread.

My wife has a pair of Keen Snoqualmie winter hiking boots and loves them. She'd wear them all year round if her feet didn't sweat so much in them when it gets warmer.

As mentioned in similar threads what works for one person may not for another so take any recommendations with a grain of salt.

Heh Heh. Don't need winter boots, but I do switch from tennis shoes and footie socks to tennis shoes and cotton tube socks and eventually to hiking boots with tube socks or to maybe wool socks when it gets down to freezing or so.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds so incredibly boring.

Edited by briansnat

North Face Baltoro 400

8521-614962-d.jpg

Insulated with armorized rubber lowers and nubuck leather uppers. These boots are sealed and will keep the wet and cold out. I've worn them in temps to 10 degrees in deep snow to sweltering summer dog days with everything in between. They don't breathe very well but I wear appropriate liner socks and synthetic wool socks to help wick the moisture away and out. I wear these all year due to the different trail conditions I run into. I don't feel like prancing around a mudhole and have no fear with slogging through the worst of them.

They handle snowshoes very well and they are flexible enough while maintaining a comfortable stiffness to support the ankle.

First pair I bought over 4 years ago lasted me until last September. I liked the boots so well I couldn't think of trying a different brand or model. So last spring, when REI had them on sale, I bought a new pair to keep in storage for when the old pair finally wore out (it had to happen sometime soon I guessed.)

I recently fractured my fibula near the ankle while wearing the newer pair due to a slippery moss covered rock and I believe the stiff upper kept it from being worse than a fracture and I didn't require a Sam's splint to stiffen up the area to hike out the 4 miles back to the car, drive to the local pub to enjoy a couple of beers and a steak dinner, then drive the two hours back home. I was pretty thankful for these boots then as I have been for the last 4 years each time they performed in a challenge.

I have high arches and need the support these boots provide. They are a little on the heavy side, but boots like these will be. They are for serious hikng and will take the abuse.

I would and have recommended these. But they aren't for everybody and I highly recommend you try them on a rock walk at REI (or similar store if they provide that kind of ramp) before you buy them.

Really when did you give up prancing around mudholes :unsure: Seriously though, the look like a great pair of boots, I was actually hoping you would chime in because I thought you did a fair bit of snowshoeing. I was looking at this pair online but am afraid they might be too big for snowshoes and too heavy for much hiking but they do look warm and well built. I will have to check out the boots you recommend. They look nice and I have an REI down the road.

Really when did you give up prancing around mudholes :unsure: Seriously though, the look like a great pair of boots, I was actually hoping you would chime in because I thought you did a fair bit of snowshoeing. I was looking at this pair online but am afraid they might be too big for snowshoes and too heavy for much hiking but they do look warm and well built. I will have to check out the boots you recommend. They look nice and I have an REI down the road.

You can start at this log. Warning... it's a long multi-part about the first hike I went on after starting this game. There were some mudholes that my then current work boots would have sufferred greatly. I decided I needed something that would handle going through rather than around such common spots here in the PNW. These boots are not lightweights. They weigh in at 1.5 lbs apiece. You'll feel like Frankenstein the first time you put them on.

Edited by TotemLake

My winter boots were purchased back in 1990 when I started a job in Outdoor Education in the Mountains of Southern California. I just changed out the inserts this last winter for the first time. I don't remember the model of boot, but the maker is Sorel. They were expensive, but obviously well worth the price after using them every winter for the last 18 years.

I have an older model Merrell winter boot similar to a SawTooth, but with a lower collar. A couple things I've noticed about it. Very comfortable, very warm, not water-treated very well though. Make sure you seal up your boot regularly with these synthetic/suede leather combo types. Also, if you wear gators, go for a high collar. Chafing behind the ankle from the gators starts almost immediately because I grabbed the low collar thinking it would be more comfortable on scrambles/climb scenarios. Boot worked great, just didn't combo well with a gator. Other than that, it did very well, combo'd well with my crampons without issue and were very comfortable in my snowshoes. I think I'll try the newer version with the high collar next year and leave these for icy trails and snowshoes.

I've never felt the need to get amazing boots. I'll wear my heavy pair if i know ill be out for more than an hour or two. There is nothing special about them. I think i bought them from wartmart or something back in the day. they do they job, keep my feet warm and comfortable. i think they were pretty cheap 20-30$. I dont suggest spending much more than this unless you certain you will need them.