Trip to NZ - Topo Map suggestions

N0ORS

I am planning a trip to NZ and started looking for topo maps to use in a Garmin Colorado or Oregon.

The lowest cost set I have located, so far, is about $150US and the prices run on up to close to $300. No doubt the maps are quite good, but compared to $75 for the maps for the US, those prices seem a little steep, especially considering I will only use them for about 10 day to 2 weeks. Both the North and South islands will be visited during the trip.

Anyone have any suggestions for a more economical solution?

I am planning a trip to NZ and started looking for topo maps to use in a Garmin Colorado or Oregon.

The lowest cost set I have located, so far, is about $150US and the prices run on up to close to $300. No doubt the maps are quite good, but compared to $75 for the maps for the US, those prices seem a little steep, especially considering I will only use them for about 10 day to 2 weeks. Both the North and South islands will be visited during the trip.

Anyone have any suggestions for a more economical solution?

Hi.

There are some free open source maps for the whole of NZ here they are not topo maps but are auto routable and have a huge POI file that comes free with them.

Most of the geocachers here in NZ use them.

If you looking for topo maps then try here or here I believe both are very good.

If you want to get any more info you might be better to ask at the NZgps forums as thats where most of the kiwi people hang out.

Hope this helps you out.

Hi.

There are some free open source maps for the whole of NZ here they are not topo maps but are auto routable and have a huge POI file that comes free with them.

Most of the geocachers here in NZ use them.

If you looking for topo maps then try here or here I believe both are very good.

If you want to get any more info you might be better to ask at the NZgps forums as thats where most of the kiwi people hang out.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check out your suggestions.

Hi,

I was in new Zealand last month and I converted the maps from here to the Garmin format. It tooks several nights and the downloads are very large, but after it is finished the maps looks very good. There you can get a topographic map of the whole country.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be checking this source out.