Explorist 500LE USB problem

SKS

I have an Explorist 500LE that won't talk to computer. Unit will enter usb file transfer mode but computer has no idea it's there. Tried new cable, no change. No error message, nothing to indicate it's connected at all. Would like to update firmware with latest, but without usb communications that's not going to happen.

Any help is appreciated.

Sam

I have an Explorist 500LE that won't talk to computer. Unit will enter usb file transfer mode but computer has no idea it's there. Tried new cable, no change. No error message, nothing to indicate it's connected at all. Would like to update firmware with latest, but without usb communications that's not going to happen.

Any help is appreciated.

Sam

Since you have a new cable, it rules out the possibility of a broken cable. The only suggestion I have is to clean the contact on the Explorist side. I have read postings that cleaning it with an eraser helps.

Clement

Running Windows XP, cable is connected right (down across battery cover).

I'm afraid all the common causes for this problem are not the problem. I think the problem started shortly after trying to update firmware to new, unauthorized version later last year. Even though the unit says it's in file transfer mode I think there's something internally that's not allowing it to connect, either software or hardware.

Are you plugged directly into a USB port or are you using a hub of some type. I know when I tried to use the USB connections on my keyboard it did not recognize my 500LE. When I plugged it right into the USB port on the back of my computer I had no problems.

The other thing I would check is whether the file transfer mode on your 500 is set to "Internal Memory" or 'SD Card". If it's set to SD Card and you don't have one in there, then you might not see anything on your computer.

Another thing that jumps to mind is have you tried connecting it to another computer?

Hope it helps.

Cheers! :yikes:

I plug directly into computer w/ usb cable, not through hub. Also I don't have SD card installed. If I do it gives me option of which to connect to. Magellan suggested finding a computer with XP SP2. I have SP3 installed. I don't know if it will make a difference and they didn't say why it might. Both my computers have SP3.

I keep you all posted to any changes.